“Concert at Bryce Jordan center” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
500 Stash Hotel Rewards bonus points with your stay
Ranked #4 of 26 hotels in State College
USA
“Concert at Bryce Jordan center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Beautiful hotel. They provide transportation to campus and anywhere you want to go. We attended a concert and they dropped us off in front of the BJC and picked us up afterwards. No driving and paying $10 for parking. Also enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PSHSReservationsMgr, Guest Relations Manager at Penn Stater Conference Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We are thrilled that we were able to help with your concert experience - we hope you enjoyed the show! At any time, we are happy to customize a package for you if there is an event that you would like to attend in the area. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay!

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It took me a while to get used to the layout of the hotel as it is a strange layout. Our room was nice and spacious and it had a fridge and plenty of other storage space. The furniture is comfortable and plenty of room to relax. The hotel has an exercise room and swimming pool. The pool is a nice size and large enough to swim laps. The exercise room doesn't have much in it, just a couple of treadmills and a bike or 3.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Duncannon, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had the opportunity to stay at the Penn Stater Hotel this week. When I first drove up to the facility, I thought I was at the wrong place - it looked more like a dormitory or hospital. Inside, there was a roaring fire in the lobby, which was quite inviting, given the temperature outside. The staff was extremely cordial. The rooms were clean - nothing fancy, by provided nice amenities, such as a mini-frig; needed toiletries, and very crisp, clean bed linens. The pub-type restaurant had wonderful food and a very pleasant atmosphere; in fact one of the best sandwiches (smoked salmon, lettuce, and tomato) I have ever had.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
This review made our day! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are very thankful that you have taken the time to let others know about your experience. If you are able to visit again for dinner, be sure to try the Potato Crusted Salmon with Champagne Sour Cream and Chive Sauce - we think you will love it!
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is the second year that we have stayed at The Penn Stater and I am very pleased. My daughter and I come up for Setsucon which is an Anime convention. It is a nice convention center and works well for a small convention. Having a room in the same building as the convention is a big plus. The rooms are well maintained and there was no waiting for check in either time we stayed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We are so thankful that you have taken the time to let us know about your experience with the Penn Stater! Our guests for the Setsucon conference always seem to be having a wonderful time and we are so happy to hear that you were one of them! If we may ever be of assistance in personalizing your stay prior to your arrival, please email us at concierge@psu.edu and we will be happy to assist with any needs that you may have. We hope we will see you again next year!
Lewisburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The hotel and conference center are not well laid out. Some elevators are for certain floors and there are elevators for other floors. The area for the trade show and the rooms for seminars were first rate.

The hotel room was sort of small and the closet was too small. We were there for three nights and had to have clothes for day and for evening. There was not enough closet space for two people. The bed was superb. There were three pillows for two people in a king bed. One pillow was like a rock. The lighting was great for reading in bed with lamps on both sides of the bed with two bulbs in each lamp. There was a very comfortable chair and ottoman.

The internet was fast.

We only had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. We ordered off the menu and they make an excellent omelet. The food for the convention was above average.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When I got home, I realized I had left my phone charger. I called the next morning and was told it was there. I offered to pay for it being shipped and they said it was would be returned to me at no cost. Great service!

We liked the little window in the large window that allowed for fresh air. Having the heat on made the room too hot. We turned off the heat and opened that little window for a perfect temperature.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with no connecting door.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for providing us with specific feedback about your stay - it truly helps us to give you a better experience each time. I am so happy to hear that you received the excellent service that you deserve! For future stays, if you will be travelling with multiple people or will be with us for an extended stay, we do have a variety of room types that are larger and offer additional space. We have multiple bedding options as well, including down pillows if the standard pillows are too firm, and we also offer Temperpedic mattresses in many of our guest rooms. Please let us know at any time if we may make your stay more comfortable while you are here! We look forward to seeing you again.
Western Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed at the Penn Stater for 2 nights, attending a convention that was hosted at the property. The hotel is quite nice, although the architecture is a bit unusual, somewhat of a cross between a hospital and a giant dormitory. The staff is very responsive and efficient, and the food was fine. Housekeeping was very prompt and thorough, and a newspaper was outside my door each morning. My room with a king bed seemed a bit small, particularly the bathroom that was very tiny by today’s standards.

My biggest problem with the room was the heating and air conditioning system. The temperature is only set by a sliding control and a choice of fan speeds. On my first night, I was at first cold, so I turned the thermostat up slightly. Woke up again, moved it up slightly more. Woke up again, extremely hot, and turned it down. Woke up three more times, with three more adjustments of the thermostat, all still extremely hot. At one point during the night, I woke up having a dream that I was in a burning building! Needless to say, I did not enjoy a very good night of sleep. In addition, the ventilation is aimed directly at the bed, which I found uncomfortable. A friend who was also staying in the hotel experienced the same problem and suggested that I simply open my window for the second night. I did this, after getting the room to the right temperature (where the temperature would not hold if left to the thermostat) then turning off the HVAC, and I got a much better night of sleep.

The wi-fi in the room was fine, and the furniture was comfortable. The TV was a bit dated, with an enormous remote control that was very slow to respond to input (such as adjusting the volume or changing channels). One other minor problem was a continuous drip from the bathroom tub faucet. This did not disturb my sleep or anything like that, but I did not like seeing the water being wasted.

Room Tip: Open the window, if the outside temperature is suitable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay and are so sorry to hear that you did not sleep well while you were with us! We wanted to take the opportunity that we are currently installing a new heating system that will provide a more ideal temperature for your comfort and will be activated upon check-in. The temperature can still be manually adjusted to your individual preference once you enter the room and at any time you may have a specific concern, our on-site team is ready to assist you. We hope to have the opportunity to give you a better experience in the future!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had a three night stay at the Penn Stater. Our rooms were all clean and well kept, standard. Nice view of the mountains from our window. We were by the ice maker, but it did not bother us as indicated in some previous reviews. We were able to use the hospitality room on our floor with friends, which is at the end of the hall and closed off. We did not have to worry about disturbing other guests. The Penn Stater is located away from campus, but we were very pleased with the shuttle service, which we used extensively to get to town and a few other locations. All of our drivers were friendly, talkative and well informed about the area. They arrived at stated time and one time they were running behind, they called and let us know. There was an indoor pool, which we did not use. The reception facilities were very nice, staff good, and food was enjoyable. We spent time in Legends Pub and also had breakfast in the Gardens Restaurant. There was fresh coffee available in the lobby. They have a very inviting fireplace in the lobby, which I decided to enjoy one morning while waiting for the rest of my party to wake up, but I soon found the doors opening to the outside make it extremely cold and uncomfortable, sending me to find another location. That was my only real complaint for my stay

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Penn Stater Conference Center? Share your experiences!