“Slept very well” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in State College
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
“Slept very well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was at this hotel a few years ago. Since then they upgraded the lobby. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted and checked-in very quickly. We were informed about the Bistro & how to get to our room. The lobby was quite comfortable and looked inviting. The room was a good size with lots of space and included to our surprise a refrigerator & microwave. WiFi worked without any problems. Pros and cons about having the shower/toilet in one room and the sink separate from the toilet. I really wish hotels could include a small sink in that little room/but that's my preference. Nice toiletries. Hair dryer worked great. The beds were very comfortable and we got a great night of sleep---actually slept quite late even though the hotel was quite full/but it was not at all noisy. Nice flat screen TV but some channels were snowy. There was a nice workspace as well. It was a bit cold so we did not get to enjoy the balcony but it did look inviting. Pool looked nice, hot tub enjoyable. Workout area adequate.

We were pressed for time so we decided to just go to the Bistro in the hotel. This was really the only downside of the hotel. I asked about the monthly special "Harvest Chopped Salad" which was on their menu. The fellow looked totally dumbfounded and did not know anything about it. He asked if we would like him to recommend something. I said well that salad is on the card in our room and it is on your menu right there behind you. "Oh" he said, "no one ever ordered it before." So he proceeded to pull the recipe up off the computer and told me what was in it--apples, romaine, cranberries, tomatoes, bacon, walnuts and a horseradish ranch dressing. Sounded good and he said he had all the ingredients/told him to skip the tomatoes. My son ordered a chicken quesadilla. Then we waited, and waited, and waited (and there were no other customers). Finally, he came out and said if it was okay he would bring out the quesadilla first which we said was fine. Fortunately I had a slice of the quesadilla which came with salsa & sour cream and it was ok, nothing spectacular, but being very hungry at this point it was quite welcome. We continued to wait but the salad was not forthcoming. We had to leave for the event for which we had gone to State College and indeed we were already late but still no salad and no sign of the chef either. Finally he came out bringing the salad but I explained we had to leave and would he keep it in the refrigerator until I got back and he said he would but advised me that the bacon would get cold. When I did return he had it ready for me and it was ok, nothing really special, (needed more horseradish in the dressing in my opinion) and there was not a single walnut to be found. At that point the Bistro was closed so I could not ask about that and I was starting to think that perhaps I misunderstood. But upon arrival at home I checked online and indeed there should have been walnuts. So the Bistro part of the hotel needs more fine tuning. The meals we ordered were somewhat expensive and we were obviously disappointed about the long wait for very average yet fairly expensive meals. We were ok with the cost because we thought it would save us time looking for someplace to eat quickly but that was not the case. Given that situation we did not even attempt the breakfast the following morning.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor on the Ruby Tuesday side of the building were very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott State College, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Helen L,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your experience with us at Courtyard State College. I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay, and found our hotel clean and comfortable. I apologize for your experience at the Bistro during your stay. I read your comments and became very disappointed in the service you received. Please be assured that this was not typical of our Bistro staff or service. We will be reviewing your comments in our next staff meeting and make sure all personnel are well trained, especially for the monthly specials. We hope your future travels will bring you back to our area and you'll stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed for a night while passing through State College on business. While there is nothing really worng with the hotel (other than two false fire alarms in the middle of the night), I didn't find anything that would rank it higher than average.

The outside of the property is well kept and neat, although I do question if there is enough parking if the hotel were to be full. There is a Ruby Tuesday's sharing the hotel parking lot, which is nice if you don't want to drive to dinner. The lobby was clean and looked updated; the pool also looked clean, but quite small.

The room itself again was clean, average in size, and a little dated. Bed was good, wifi worked well, and there was a flat screen tv, but many channels were quite "snowy". The bathroom had the toilet and shower separate from the sink area; the sink vanity was quite small however, and the lighting no so great.

All in all, there is nothing bad about this place, but nothing great either; and at $ 160 / night, I would have expected more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott State College, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
ToSquareBob1,
Thank you for your review. We value your business and appreciate you choosing Courtyard. I'm glad you liked our hotel. I apologize for the false fire alarms disrupting your sleep. We truly hope you'll join us again the next time your business brings you to State College.
Severna Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in State College overnight for a family wedding. The hotel looks like it has been recently renovated with a sleek clean looking lobby and comfortable rooms. The lobby has a big screen TV and lounge chairs and a quick service deli type "restaurant/bar". The pool is a good size and has a hot tub (my nephews loved this). The rooms were nicely appointed with flat screen TV's and comfy beds. The only negative is the lack of HDTV on the big screen in the lobby. We sat in the lobby and watched football after the wedding. Customer service was fantastic. We would definitely stay here again.

As a bonus, the local Applebee's sits right in front of this hotel and has great service and food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott State College, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
irin997,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard State College. We're pleased you chose to stay with us while attending your family wedding, and we hope we were able to add a little more enjoyment to your family get togethers. We invite you to come and stay with us again soon.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend in a wedding block. We booked the hotel for two nights at the wedding block rate but needed an additional night. Hotel employee gave us the third night for the wedding block rate which was a pleasant surprise. Hotel is updated and clean. Rooms are small (king bed and pull out couch however, there is not any room to move around when couch is pulled out!). Sink area outside bathroom was tiny. The hotel did not have a fridge, which we needed. The clerk at the front desk was very helpful and hunted down a fridge for us, which we were not even charged for. Parking is free but seemed to be at a premium during check-in times! We also asked for late check-out and had no problems.

There is currently lots of road construction on both streets surrounding the hotel which is nothing against the hotel but makes coming and going a bit difficult.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott State College, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
LTS220,

Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor. It’s great to know we were able to accommodate your needs and provide a pleasant stay. Please come and stay with us again the next time you’re in Happy Valley.

Kind regards,
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for a conference and it was actually the perfect hotel for me. The hotel is modern, and the room I had held a king bed comfortably with a nice little area for the desk and a small couch. It had a really small balcony, but it was nice that it even had a balcony. The bathroom was good sized with decent water pressure. The best part is that when I needed a shuttle ride to the airport, management staff gave me a ride to the airport because their shuttle was tied up dealing with the conference I was attending. Now that's what I call service! If you are staying at the hotel, but need to visit the Penn State campus, the walk was not bad at all. It takes about 25 to 30 minutes to reach the campus and it's a nice walk with good sidewalks. All in all, a good way to get a little exercise and see the residential areas surrounding the campus.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott State College, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Rheesa,

Thank you for letting us know you had a pleasant stay with us at Courtyard. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel and experienced our friendly and accommodating staff. We hope you will come and stay with us again the next time you are visiting Penn State campus.

Best regards,
Bear, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I travel a lot for business and usually stay 5-6 nights a months in the Marriott chain hotels. Unfortunately I am only in the State College area once every 3 months. Just recently I stayed at this location and from past experience, I will choose no other location when in State College. The lobby is "state of the art" and very spectacular to look at as opposed to other Marriott locations. The staff is VERY courteous (Jackie and David were the best), the pool and workout rooms are enormous (as compared to other Marriott locations) and the rooms are very well kept. If you are staying in State College anytime in the near future, PLEASE choose this hotel and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott State College, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Frank R,

It’s great to hear from you on TripAdvisor and receive such a rave review about our hotel. I also appreciate your wonderful compliments about our staff and pointing out Jackie and David's exceptional service. I’ll make sure they receive a special commendation for their outstanding work. We hope other TripAdvisor readers will take your advice and choose our hotel when visiting State College. Please come and visit us again soon.

Best regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed here during the arts festival so rates where high. The hotel was very nice, clean and seems to have been recently renovated. The lobby cafe looked nice but is pricey so we opted to eat else where. The location was very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott State College, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
MSRLK,

We are pleased to hear that your stay with us was a pleasant one. We are also glad to hear that you and your family attended our local arts festival and hope that all of you had a good time. Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We hope to have you stay with us again.

Have a great summer,

Patty Treaster, General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott State College? Share your experiences!