“Pleasantly Surprised - Great Value!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in State College
Morristown, NJ
“Pleasantly Surprised - Great Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for the first time last wknd for Arts Fest and to visit my niece at PSU, and selected this Sleep Inn basically due to its decent tripadvisor reviews and the fact that it was $100 less than any other hotel we'd looked at. I wasn't expecting much and ended up being pleasantly surprised.

While not close enough to walk, the hotel isn't at all far from campus - less than a 5 minute drive. Lobby and common areas are nicely decorated and comfortable. The room was clean and beds were comfy. Others have mentioned the small bathroom but at least the shower/toilet area had a fan which a lot of hotel bathrooms don't - something that always baffles me.

The always-available free coffee and cookies were actually really good -- and so was the free breakfast. Many hotels in this category offer a limited free continental breakfast but the Sleep Inn had scrambled eggs, sausage, a selection of cereals, fruit, yogurt, bagels, instant oatmeal and pre-packaged danishes/muffins. The two eating areas were well kept and continuously restocked by a very friendly staff member. It was much more and tastier than we'd expected. Even the orange juice was really good.

All the staff we encountered - whether at the front desk, housekeeping or just passing in the hallway - we very friendly and courteous. Service like that goes a long way these days, in my opinion.

The only downside is that the walls seem to be paper thin. I'm not a light sleeper but I woke up several times during the night and early morning because I could hear the people in the next room who were not being particularly loud. The AC unit and mini-fridge were really loud, too, which woke me up each time they kicked on.

Other than that though, this was a great hotel for the price.

(A TGIFridays is right next to the hotel, too.)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
We appreciate you choosing the Sleep Inn during your recent visit to State College for the Arts Festival and I am glad that you had a nice visit. I do apologized for the noise you expereinced with your fridge and AC units, our maintenance staff was informed of this and it has been resolved, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We look forward to to serving you again on your next visit to State College, Pa.

Yours In Service,

AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable enough which is most of what I look for in a hotel. The room was a nice value, especially considering all the extras thrown in like free breakfast.

The breakfast was nothing spectacular, but adequate enough. I felt that the eggs and sausage, though not of extraordinary taste or quality, were a nice addition to the usual fare of continental breakfast options. Free coffee in the lounge was also a plus, as was free wifi throughout the hotel. The only complaint that sticks out in my mind is that the TV was old and sluggish to change channels.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that your stay was nice and that you found our rooms comfortable. I am sorry that you had issues with your tv. Included with our "Designed to Dream" refresh that we completed almost a year ago we had upgraded all our guest room tv's with 32" Panasonic Flat Screens.The delay you expereinced when changing the channels is due to the digital cable. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon.
Berks County, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I recently stayed one night at the Sleep Inn at State College, PA. I travel to the area frequently, but this was my first stay at this facility. I chose it because of an advertised special rate. I arrived later in the evening and check-in went smoothly. I was informed about the free cookies in the lobby and 24 hour coffee for guests. The accommodations were not deluxe, but they were clean. The decor was a little more colorful than a standard generic hotel room, which was a nice surprise. The bathroom, although not large, but made good use of the space with a pocket door, shower stall, and sink outside of the bathroom area. The towels and bedding were not extra plush, but were adequate. Breakfast items were available in the morning--basic cereals, pastries, a bit of fruit, coffee, tea, etc. I would stay here again when special rates were available.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Sleep Inn for your recent overnight visit to State College.
I appreciate your comments and pleased that you ejoyed your stay with us. We have just completed our Breakfast Room expansion and are now offering scrambled eggs, sauasge links and other additional new items. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I've sampled a number of hotels in State College and this one is a winner for value. It features Sleep Inn's usual tiny bathroom with a large, semi-circular shower stall, a weird-but-wonderful engineering feature that I've come to enjoy.

As for the rest of the room -- "spacious" definitely isn't the word I'd use to describe it, but "comfortable" fits pretty well. You have to move the desk's chair pretty close to the desk in order to get to the closet, and the mini-fridge's door almost touches the bed, but for a solo business traveler it's a good layout. The rooms seem to have been painted and re-furnished since my first stay here two years ago. My customary "white glove" inspection revealed no unwelcome "guests" in the bedding (if you get my drift) and the room and bath were both clean, yet free of excessive Lysol odors.

This inn is located well back from North Atherton Street and it is unusually free of outside noise. If there's a weak spot, it's in the soundproofing. I could occasionally hear voices and snoring during the evening, but in fairness it wasn't any worse than in many similar hotels.

Aside from the relative quiet and the nice shower, this Sleep Inn's most enjoyable feature is the very courteous and welcoming staff. In particular, the lady taking care of the somewhat crowded breakfast area went from guest to guest inquiring if we found everything, an unusually attentive touch.

In all, as pleasant an overnight stay as you could hope for. I look forward to my next trip to Happy Valley's Sleep Inn.

Room Tip: Given the inn's location, all rooms should be pretty free of traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for the kind commemts about your recent stay with us. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay. We are very proud of our staff members, they work as a team to do their best to help our guests feel right at home . Thank you for choosing the Sleep Inn of State College for your lodging needs, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
jmrwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

No complaints here. The room was nice, separate bathroom from sink which I like since I had 3 kids in tow. Only complaint was that my room was next to the elevator, so I heard that thing churning most of the night.

Breakfast was weak. Bagels, cereal, fruit and yogurt. Nothing special.

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay clear of a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again soon. Starting the end of May beginning of June we will be expanding our complimentary breakfast by offering hot items and additional new items.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We took the most inexpensive room and it was just right! Smaller than most motel rooms but the bed was comfortable, room was clean, and internet was included. It also had a walk in shower. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Sleep Inn of State College while visiting the area. We appreciate your kind comments and are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Yours In Service,

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

Took my daughter to visit Penn State. Nice hotel that was close to the college. Very inexpensive . The staff was very helpful and the room was very clean. Would recommend this hotel for families or traveling alone. Wish that State college had more to offer. Reminded me of my college days . One main road and the campus. Not much else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
sleep16803, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your kinds words about our hotel. We were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please keep us in mind for all of your future travel plans to State College.

AGM

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!