“Here's the deal...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Foggy Mountain Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stahlstown
Foggy Mountain Lodge
You added Foggy Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Old Distillery Road, RR 1 Box 190, Stahlstown, PA 15687   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stahlstown
New York City, New York
“Here's the deal...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We went here for a friend's wedding and didn't have the best experience.

The room was seriously no frills. I was picturing a romantic country bed and breakfast type thing so maybe that was my misperception. We stayed in Pine Lodge; the photos of Cedar lodge appear much nicer and were more along the lines of what I was expecting (cozier with nice wooden ceilings, etc.) Visitors may want to upgrade to this building.

There were a few minor problems: the batteries in the TV remote control were dead, the sink and bathtub were clogged, and there were dead bugs in the bathroom sink drawers. These are very minor issues but it just felt like there was a lack of attention to detail--surely whoever cleans the rooms would have noticed that water wouldn't go down either drain.

There seems to be some tension among the staff and communication problems and we felt stuck in the middle each time we had to ask them to do something. This started from the moment we arrived and couldn't get into the room. I told the owner's wife very politely that the key didn't work and she seemed irritated that she had to go help me get in the room. She discovered that someone had locked the deadbolt, and yelled at one of the staff members for locking it. To me, she seemed frazzled and I felt bad for telling her about the problem. Needless to say I was not looking forward to coming back ten minutes later to tell her about the problems in the room. On our second day, we had to make a request for someone to clean our rooms at 6:30 pm because no one had been in yet, and the owner's wife seemed very angry at her staff for not doing their job. The owners seemed frustrated each time we encountered them (maybe overwhelmed from all the work of the wedding?) That was my first impression of the lodge and there weren't any positive interactions with the owners during the course of the weekend to reverse that first impression.

The wedding went okay in terms of how the lodge handled things and was quite nice overall due to the planning on the part of the bride. They did take away the buffet after a very short time, which was disappointing. Seconds were offered, but we were the last table served, and the initial announcement for seconds was made while we were still getting our firsts. By the time we finished and went back up, the buffet had been cleared away. I had expected it to stay out for awhile so we could take our time. Also, they would only serve us drinks in plastic cups after dinner, so we had to drink wine out of plastic cups all night. This bothered me mostly because I asked two different people to please give me a real glass and was denied; I would have expected them to accommodate this simple request if someone asked.

The small things like this just sort of added up during our trip. Staying at the lodge was not a terrible experience, it just wasn't great.

I originally posted a shortened version of this review and mentioned that I would not recommend the lodge. The owner of the lodge then contacted me via multiple messages on the site. He also showed my review to the family of the bride whose wedding we attended. Additionally, I was stunned to receive a FIVE PAGE letter in the mail, cc'd to the owner's attorney, with delivery confirmation. My TripAdvisor name formerly used my real first name (I changed it because of this owner.) Apparently he figured out my identify and my billing address from when I stayed at the hotel, and felt he had the right to contact me at my home.

Having one's home address tracked down by an angry business owner is something I would never want another TripAdvisor to have to deal with. I deleted my original review and am posting this one to let others know about this issue.

I hope that the owners will put as much effort into making other guests feel at home as they have in rebutting my original review. If they do, I am sure that others will have a better experience.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Foggyjims, Owner at Foggy Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Travel_Junkie745685
I am sorry you felt it important enough for you to write another negative posting, after deleting the first one. I made every effort to respond to each and every one of your complaints in my personal letter to you. I am not the angry owner you characterize only the owner that requested you tell the whole story. I believe it is more professional to write personal letters rather than communicate through the internet. This is the way we handle communications form all guests.

I wish you and your husband the best, for my wife and I we will continue to work to improve Foggy Mountain Lodge.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My friend and I have been writing a book for the past year and we chose "Foggy Mountain" as our writing retreat...Words cannot begin to describe how much we enjoy "everything" about this establishment! From the spotless rooms to the unbelievable ambiance...The owners and staff are there for you and go the extra mile to satisfy your stay...The restaurant and staff are a delight to behold...Thank you Jim and Karen for sharing this "best kept secret" in the Laurel Valley!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
moon twp pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I am a repeat guest at Foggy Mt. and I was shocked to read the uncomplimentary reviews.The rooms are always pristinely clean, the owners bend over backwards to make your stay an enjoyable one, and I find the restaurant delicious and a bargain! If you are looking for a wonderful way to relax and recharge, you will find it all at Foggy Mountain.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

My husband and I had our wedding *ceremony and reception* @ Foggy Mountain lodge. It was PERFECT!! Karen, the owner, made everything go so smoothly! Best place ever to get married!! Loved everythign about it. We have been there for dinner a few times and we would go back anytime!!! We went for dinner there last night during their "seafood fest" It was GREAT!!!

Mr. and Mrs. Henry

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

My husband and I were in the area to tour the Frank Lloyd Wright homes and stayed at the Lodge for three nights. We were delighted with the room, the restaurant ,and the overall atmosphere. The room was immaculate and comfortable. The price included breakfast which was fine - much better than the continental breakfasts available at the chain motels. The dining room was a treat - food was very good and reasonable. The game room and reading room helped us to feel at home. The lodge is perfect for either families or couples. Also, the grounds were very nice and well-maintained.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

The Foggy Mountain Lodge was a good find for a ski weekend at nearby Seven Springs Resort. The staff was friendly and the suite was clean. Two by fours used as crowning gave the place a rustic feel. There was an on-site restaurant, bar, and game room. The Lodge was 15 miles from the two ski resorts and 2 miles from an amazing vegan deli called Maggie's. While breakfast was included at the Lodge, it wasn't good, so multiple trips to Maggie's is well worth it. At about $100/room in ski high-season, I'd say this was a good find.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

My wife and I were looking for a nice quiet couple of days away and this was the perfect place. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Stacey, the bar manager made the stay really special with her bubbling personality. It truly is like a "Cheers " atmosphere as mentioned by a previous reviewer
The rooms were squeaky clean and the food in the restaurant was excellent. As we walked the grounds what stood out was the absolute silence which we're not used to being from the city and the sound of nothing was great.
We intend to go back in the winter with a few couples and sit around the fireplace and play darts, Trvial, and pool in their gameroom.

• Liked — Cleanliness and freindly staff
  • Disliked — everytthing was perfect
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Foggy Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!