“Unique experience, but note differences” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Collegeville, PA
3 attraction reviews
“Unique experience, but note differences”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Our first zipline/canopy tour experience was at Camelback Mountain/CBK Adentures. We had so much fun on that tour (2 adults, a 15yr old, an 18yr old), we decided to try the one closer to our home at Spring Mountain. Even though Spring Mountain is small, the website proved to show a similar and exciting tour experience. The price seemed (surprisingly) much higher than Camelback, so I was happy to see an online coupon deal. We would not have paid the higher price for the smaller course, but there are a few differences that might be important to some people, especially those with younger children or first timers.
At Camelback/CBK Adventures you are taught for 20-30 minutes how to harness yourself onto the lines and maneuver the course on your own. It's alot of information, but then you practice the basic skills on a mock canopy set up. You learn to double lock yourself in, move through the obstacle, then hook onto the next obstacle before unhooking yourself from the last cable. So....you are always secured at all times. Lots of bits of critical information, but once you practice, you quickly get the hang of it, even the younger kids. The Guides watch as you practice, and the Guides stay on the ground and watch you above as you continue to do the full tour. If you are ever not double hooked, you will get a reminder from a Guide. You are up so high, it's almost second nature to double check that you are locked in correctly. Also, at Camelback, no helmets are required.
At Spring Mountain, please note that THE GUIDES do this harnessing for you every step of the way.......there are two Guides with you at all times during your tour, one to hook you up, and one to unhook you as you move through the course. Helmets are also required (and provided). My son did the Full Monty tour with a friend who had never done a tour before. For my son (15).......this felt like a step down since he was used to handling his own harness. He was also not so thrilled about wearing a helmet after being able to do the tour without one at Camelback. His friend, however, loved it from beginning to end, since it was all new to him. They both still had a great time........over 2 hours in the tree tops on a beautiful day with lot's of ziplines. My son said the tour was still challenging.......there were some obstacles that were different than Camelback. Given the choice, he would love to return to Camelback. But since Spring Mountain is literally 3 miles from our home, I'd love for him to enjoy this event again, but having the Guides do the work seems to disinterest him and take away some of the experience and fun.
If you live close, have smaller children, are trying this for the first time or feel really unsure about handling the harness locks on your own (it's not difficult, but it is critical that it is done correctly), then Spring Mountain will provide a unique experience and you can leave the safety issues to the Guides. The regular price might reflect the fact that there are 2 Guides with your group at all times. If you have done other canopy tours, then I think you will be disappointed at Spring Mountain if you are looking for the same experience. All in all, ziplining through the mountain tops is always fun.
Final Note: We visited Spring Mountain in October, during their "off season". Nothing was open except for the zipline/canopy tours.........so, no restaurant, no food, everything was closed down. As a parent who hung around until the tour was over, I brought a book to read and found an empty table to sit at. I was surprised (but grateful) to find the bathroom had a roll of papertowels, one working faucet, and an overflowing trashcan. Remember...this was their off-season. I have been there in the winter during snowboard/ski season when the place is rocking, music blaring, tons of kids, fireplaces roaring and lots of energy in the air. Don't expect that in the summer/fall months. Still, we love Spring Mountain in our backyard.

Visited October 2013

Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Crossed off my bucket list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I always wanted to try ziplining, so when we got an online coupon deal I couldn't pass it up! My husband and I did the Full Monty tour which took about 2-1/2 hours with a group of a dozen people. Our guides were friendly, helpful and encouraging. We never felt scared or in danger because we were always attached by our "lifeline." The ziplining itself was fun and exhilarating. There were a few challenges on the ropes course that were intimidating (walking the swaying bridge even with handholds was nerve-wracking for hubby) and crossing a thick rope hanging from our hands and legs was tough but provided a serious "Yay me!" feeling once reaching the other side. Though most of the people on our tour wore shorts, I would recommend wearing long pants because some of the course has potential to provide rope burn. We also brought along a small backpack to carry water. We did purchase the $7/pp photo package and were glad we did, we would do it again but next time we will also bring our own small camera to provide some extra shots. Another thing we didn't plan but worked out in our favor is the fact that we were the last people in line to go on every challenge. That gave us the opportunity to watch everyone's else's technique to see what worked and what didn't for planning our crossing. We will definitely go again and take our kids when they are old enough.

* A note to reviewers who say they had a more amazing zipline tour in Costa Rica or whatever exotic location, of course you did, I would be disappointed if you didn't! But we only had to drive 45 minutes to have this experience and it was wonderful!!!

Visited August 2013
Maryland
13 attraction reviews
“Spring Mountain Canopy Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Spring Mountain canopy tour included 7 zip lines, several obstacles such as rope bridges where you pass from one treetop platform to another, and two places where you are lowered from the platforms by the guides. This is a guided tour and the guides were competent and friendly. It was fun and provided a reasonable physical challenge (not too hard, not too easy). Several place had options for crossing - difficult for the strong, physically fit people and easier for overweight old ladies like me. I paid the $14 to get their pictures ($7 each for two people in my party) and I wish I had just taken my own camera. They didn't take many pictures and the quality of the photos was not very good. I could easily have carried my digital instamatic camera with me and gotten many more good shots. The advertisement said the course included rappelling but I don't considered being lowered from the platform by a guide as rappelling. It would have been much better if the participant could actually rappel with the guides belaying.

Visited September 2013
Dover, Delaware
“Fantastic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I've been Spring Mountain a few times ziplining and had a fantastic time! The guides are knowledgeable and fun, which makes the experience that much better. This time around for me they started taking pictures that you can by all of them for $7. I personally think thats one of the best ideas ever, its hard taking pictures of friends while your out there.

Visited August 2013
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
“Challenging and Exciting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Full Montey Canopy tour was awesome! The staff were excellent and very helpful. You do have to be in pretty good shape to complete some of the challenges, but you feel great when you do. The building, parking lot and chair lift do need a bit of work and updating, but the zip line course was top notch. My 11 year old son says that it was better than going to an amusement park, the best experience of his life.

Visited July 2013