“one of the best Italians in Pittsburgh” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“one of the best Italians in Pittsburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Really appreciate the home style Italian in Pittsburgh. These really rival the New York restaurants that I frequent.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Went to Francos via a friends recommendation, along with some review sites, to celebrate my moms birthday. 1st, very unkemp hostess seated us in maybe the worse table there, on un angle half in a main walkway. asked if we could have 1 of a handful of available booths told they were reserved. Ok. ( I too made a reservation) You could not turn to the left or right without hiting the person next to you. On to food. Fried zuke very good, light breading yummy. Salad would have been good except it swam in dressing at least 1/2 up the bowl. My husband had pork chops waaayyyy overcooked, would have been good otherwise. I had roasted veggie ravoli, ok not great I think maybe frozen, forgive me if I'm wrong but I dont think I am. My moms dish pene with tomato basil cream was good and you got a lot. Espresso but with no creme, not good. Canoli made in house, but with like a rasberry filing, no of us liked it, but that could be a matter of taste I like the more traditional. Prices I thought were fair, I tend to favor fine dining so prices were actually great. All in all everything could have been a lot better with some minor tweeking

• Visited May 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Would definitely go back again.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

The South Hills area of Pittsburgh seems to be lacking in good and unique (non-chain) restaurants. My husband and I went to Franco's Trattoria for my birthday in November 2010. We were seated immediately by a friendly hostess. Our waiter was personable and attentive, but not at all pushy or overly attentive. We ordered the crab balls - if you like crab cakes, you have to get these. They were FABULOUS! Four delicate crab balls, roughly the size of jawbreakers, with lump crab and a delicious sauce drizzled over top. I could have made my meal just several orders of these. The dinner salads were the only unremarkable part of our experience. They were your basic dinner salad. Not bad, just average. My husband ordered a salmon pasta dish, which he enjoyed immensely. I ordered one of the specials: lobster ravioli topped with shrimp and pan-seared scallops, in a creamy tomato basil sauce. It was unbelievably good. There was just the right amount of sauce - enough that the past wasn't dry, but it wasn't swimming, either. I never order scallops because they are almost always overcooked until they are like rubber hockey pucks, but these were perfect. For dessert, we split what was a scoop of vanilla ice cream coated a la Mexican Fried Ice Cream in candied whole pecans. Several sauces were available for topping - we opted for the butterscotch and whipped cream. We were very glad that we shared the dessert, as it was quite rich and more than enough for the two of us. The coffee was also better than average restaurant coffee, and was the perfect complement to the sweetness of the candied pecans. It was a wonderful, relaxing dinner, and I'm so happy that we "discovered" it.

• Visited November 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Elkins, WV
“Expensive, good atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

This is 'THE PLACE' to be seen in Peters now. The food is nothing special and the prices are high. The atmosphere is what you pay for here, and it is very nice. We go there for drinks now, but only after we eat somewhere else.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent Italian- Owners just open a second location in Peters Township.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

Excellent Italian- Owners just open a second location in Peters Township.