“Could be perfect with a few additions” 4 of 5 stars

Skytop Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   One Skytop, Skytop, PA 18357-1099   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
holbrook
“Could be perfect with a few additions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

My family recently spent three nights at the Skytop Lodge, We traveled with my two college kids (20 and 22) and my parents (including my father who is 94 and in a wheelchair most of the time -can walk a few fee with a walker). We wanted a place where my father could enjoy the beauty of nature and my kids would have activities to keep busy. My husband is an avid golfer so that was a big plus for him. The positives - the rooms we had were perfect for us - we had three rooms which included one King suite. I know there are various sized rooms but ours were spacious and had views. The walls are very thin so you could easily hear your neighbors but luckily we had a private hallway for two of our rooms so we did not have a problem. The hotel itself is beautiful and kept in perfect condition. My Dad was able to sit on the porch and look out at a beautiful view. My kids enjoyed the adventure center - loved the zipline. We also did the jeeps which was so much fun. My husband loved the golf. My complaints would be the quality of the dinners. It was just okay, nothing special and some of the dinners really not good at all. Breakfast was excellent and you will not go hungry with lunch - not great but good. The bathrooms need to be updated and they need to give some room to put things down. They need to update the outlets and it was hard to find a place to charge our phones. They also need to update the televisions. The only other suggestions I would make is to add some night time activities. Otherwise we really enjoyed our vacation and plan to return again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor in an alcove. We had a king suite room 315 - really nice but take...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 26, 2014
Dear Janet d,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Skytop.

Please accept my sincere apologies with respect to the food and beverage issues you experienced during your visit. This does not represent our normal level of service. We have addressed these issues with our culinary team to ensure that the quality of our menu offerings is consistent at each meal. We will also take your comments regarding your accommodations into consideration as we plan the upcoming refresh of our guest rooms and common areas.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Waltham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Understaffed, empty food trays at breakfast, rude front desk, furniture missing from rooms...very sad that this once great place is now so poor, yet still charging very high rates for very poor value.

Room Tip: The historic main lodge has peeling wallpaper, missing furniture in rooms and on the porch, slow ele...

Dear Carl N,

Thank you for your feedback. I am dismayed that we were not able to meet your expectations.

Skytop offers a great value to our guests, as we offer many different packages and meal plans, an abundance of activities, acres of natural beauty and a great team of employees dedicated to providing authentic service in a historic resort.

We hope to welcome you back to Skytop.

Ventnor City, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

we returned for the second night to cottage C to find the take out or room services food from another room still in the common hall. Also the first night my dinner arrived cold at the main dinning room the second night my dinner at the tap room arrived cold. This morning we were turned awayfor breakfast at the main dinning room because we were not on the meal plan.. With out eye contact we were told to tey the deli at the golf club.. We drove down to find it was not open till 9 well after our activity reservations were planned so we had to fend for ourselves with poor quality fruit in the lobby. Horrible that your options are so limited and pory thought out. Tonight my appitizers were cold and thruout every meal option was mediocre in concept ,ingredient ,and execution . Portion sizes were small staff was pleasant but overworked and in ill fitted clumsy uniforms. After the tea room was out of hot fudge . The tap room was out of gazpacho two nights in a row. There is nothing "on tap"there to begin with and the server asked me to go up to the refrigerator to select a beer? Then the lights flicker and dimmed as if shorted out Here are a few hints to pass on to management .
Spend a weekend at Bear Creek.
You are wasting your efforts with out a casual dinning room with simple quality "pub"food Bear Creek also has a area for quality take away breakfasts lunches and snacks you can duplicate
Change the name of the Tap Room or get some beer on tap. We watched your profits walk away as customer after customer walked out looking to sit at a bar and order a drink. Only to not see a bar stool or have a place to order drinks .. Get some professional help to bring your food service up from mediocre to poor .. And please remove this plate of old food from outside my room at C1. Befor the raccoons or bears find it.
Thanks

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Tim K,

Thank you for providing your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties you encountered during your stay. This certainly does not represent Skytop’s normal level of service. We have addressed the issues you mentioned with our housekeeping and food and beverage teams to ensure that our service standards are upheld going forward.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Skytop.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

Had a great experience with the hotel, kids had fun with the activities. Great service with the security dept. We realized we left the baby's water bottle after we got home called the hotel they return or phone call and agreed to ship it back right away with no charge. Thank you Mark.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear angie h,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Skytop.

I shared your kind words with Mark and our entire team. They are pleased that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit.

We hope to welcome you back to Skytop soon.

Boca Raton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

We made reservations at this beautiful historical hotel as my wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. The managerial staff was not accommodating. Never received call backs for our room issues when promised. Water damaged room and soiled sheets, no in room coffee makers, no floor ice machines, small old fashioned VCR/TV units. For such a grandiose hotel, it definitely is not worth the money.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Robert S,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the complications you experienced during your visit. It is my understanding that accommodations were made with respect to your stay prior to your departure. It is unfortunate that the resolution did not meet your expectations.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Skytop.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

This was my partner and my second visit here. We went on an offer from TravelZoo, same as last year, and same time as last year. Each time we had a great experience. It's basically impossible to be bored here. There's something going on all day. There's pools, a million and one activities, food, tea, cookies, sports, entertainment, and a lake you can just and relax at when you've had enough of all the activities. The staff is very pleasant and the food and rooms are very good quality. We've really enjoyed both of our stays here.

Room Tip: We have tried both the cottage rooms and the main lodge rooms, and the cottage rooms are much more s...

Dear Laura H,

Thank you for the kind comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your return visit to Skytop.
Skytop offers countless activities for the entire family in a beautiful, natural setting. We also offer packages that include breakfast or three meals a day, as well as our traditional afternoon tea and cookies.

Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our team in providing world-class service. I shared your comments with them today and they were happy to know you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you to Skytop again soon.

Princeton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

We had a most enjoyable experience at Skytop. The setting, service, activities, and meals were excellent. The atmosphere is relaxed and there are plenty of activities to keep you and your family members busy. We felt as though we had stepped back in time and relived our own sleep away camp/boarding school experiences. We highly recommend Skytop!

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs because sometimes the hallways can be loud when families are settling into their roo...

Dear Adam B,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations during your visit. I shared your comments with our team and they are glad to know you had a memorable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

President & General Manager

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!