“Quality experience slipping fast” 2 of 5 stars

Skytop Lodge
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   One Skytop, Skytop, PA 18357-1099   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Quality experience slipping fast”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our second family trip to Skytop revealed some of first time concerns were developing into a pattern. The rooms need a significant rehab, the carpets in the Inn are filthy, the bathrooms were very beat-up in all 4 of the rooms we rented for a week and the housekeeping staff provided spotty service. The Lodge dining room waiter was overwhelmed and tried his best but left the impression that there was a staffing issue to cover the diners. On a good note the Camp in the Clouds was a big hit and the staff did an excellent job according to our children and from what we observed. I had a strong sense that the deferred rehab and maintenance work may be deliberate by ownership and the morale of many of the staff was clearly lower than I have experienced before.

Room Tip: The dinner served in the Inn was excellent and so was the service.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear PMM12,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay. Please contact me at (570) 595-8909 at your convenience. I trust that we will be able to regain your confidence in Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Our family goes to Skytop Lodge as often as possible but usually we just make it there once a year. This summer, thanks to the TravelZoo offer we were able to get in a summer visit. As usual, we had a great time.

There's nothing like pulling up to the North Porch and being welcomed like family. We got there earlier than the 4pm check in time so we grabbed a nice lunch in the Tap Room and spent our time wandering the beautiful grounds. The bell staff took care of our luggage and once we told them our room was ready they had it out of the car and to the room in no time.

The room was beautiful and just perfect for our family of 4. The bed was big and comfy and NOT two twin beds pushed together.

The trip was wonderful, we swam in the lake, rented bikes, sat and had margaritas by the outdoor pool and took quite a few walks.

The food was great, we didn't have a single bad meal. The kids buffet fit our needs perfectly and the restaurant treated our kids so nicely.

It was wonderful to see so many familiar faces at Skytop. It means so much to us to be greeted by name from everyone from the doormen and bellmen to the Tap Room staff, the activities staff and housekeeping.

The only suggestion we would have is to offer more outdoor seating for those of us who like to sit on the North and South porches.

We already have reservations for our next trip and can't wait to be back at our home away from home.

We were glad to hear that the hotel has been well booked this summer and hope that those people who understand what a special place Skytop Lodge is will return.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear emc2937,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent stay. Our team strives to make Skytop a “home away from home” for all of our guests. I shared your kind comments with them today and they were glad to know you enjoyed your visit.

I look forward to meeting you on a future visit.

Oceanside, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Wife and I decided on a last minute Sun-Tue trip and we found a great deal from an online site.

Holy cluster #!&! Sunday check in was!! Had read some reviews so was aware of the horrible scene to expect for a Sunday check in but seriously something needs to change. With check out time so late at 1pm and check in at 4pm how do you ever expect to turn over all the rooms with so many people checking out on Sundays. I watched people get on the check in line every 30 minutes to be told there room was not ready, saw people ready to cancel their reservations and go to another hotel. Check out time needs to be earlier or enforced and more cleaning people are needed Sundays to make sure people arriving can get into their rooms in a timely manner.

Now that's out of the way..........the Lodge is 80 something years old and it shows in some areas but overall the lodge and grounds are beautiful. Our room was a queen room which was very small but for a quick summer getaway it was fine for what we needed. Overall room was clean and a decent amount of amenities provided in the room.

I would say the Lodge is geared more towards families and kids rather than couples, there are tons of daily activities and nightly ones also. Between the grounds, plus the lake area and adventure center there is plenty to do. For the most part we relaxed, did some shopping at the outlets and went to the Casino one night but we did do some clay shooting on the Skytop grounds and that was a lot of fun. You are only about 10-15 minutes from the Casino and major areas of the Poconos.

We had the meal plan and for the price we paid for the trip overall it was a great value, the food was good and there was a great selection for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Dondell was our waiter and he made our meals very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Queen rooms are small.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Brandon S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. Dondell and our entire dining room team consistently provide exceptional service. I shared your comments with them today and they are glad to know you enjoyed your dining experience.

Please accept my sincere apologies with respect to your experience at check-in. We have addressed this issue with our Front Desk, Reservations and Housekeeping teams to ensure that our processes are revised and streamlined.

I hope to welcome you back to Skytop again soon.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Our room was old. King bed was 2 queens put togehter, if you go don't stay on 4th floor. Hotel grounds are beautifull but hotel is old. Plenty activities for kids, for adults not so much unless you bring your own bikes ( 90% of hotel bikes were broken) or like to hike and play golf. The Tree Adventure was very fun.
Breakfast is good; lunch horrible; dinner ok. Staff was very pleasant except front desk that did not do much to accomadate us. Our room was ready for us only at 5PM.
We purchase thru Travelzoo; which was a great deal; if I had not purchase I would be really upset. I was told the Inn have better rooms. Expect higher bill when you check out, as there is gratuity and fees per day and everything you do.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tsummer00,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that you found our grounds and Adventure Center to be exceptional.

Please accept my apologies with respect to the confusion with your room rate. Gratuity is included in the rate, which relieves our guests of feeling obligated to tip throughout the property. Also, please accept my apologies for the conditions in your room. We will take your feedback into consideration of the upcoming redesign of our guest rooms.

I hope we can welcome you back to Skytop.

Stone Harbor, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel is historic, but to a fault. The rooms were clean, but dated and too small for the price. The bathroom was liking being on a submarine. The dining room was beautiful, but the meals tended to be fair to good.

The setting and scenery were gorgeous. Not too many activities for teenage children. The resort is best suited for younger children.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mike L,

Thank you for providing your feedback. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

An important part of our mission is preserving Skytop’s history and tradition while providing our guests with upscale accommodations and amenities. We will be sure to take your feedback into consideration in the future redesign of our guest rooms.

Skytop is a wonderful destination for all ages. We certainly offer a great children’s program, however, teens and adults alike enjoy our range of outdoor activities, including hiking, biking as well as all of the activities offered at our Adventure Center.

I hope to welcome you back to Skytop soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We took 20 family members the week of August 13th. When making reservations we specifically asked if it was possible to have gluten dairy free meals for one of the children. We're told it would be no problem. Also spoke to chef, called two days before arrival to confirm. When we arrived for dinner they had nothing and knew nothing. We were also offered a room for private dinner. The request was never put thru and told no room was available! Big disconnect between reservation office and hotel! Felt bad for staff left trying to put out fires. Asked to speak to manager on check out and to date have heard nothing. Hotel has much to offer for families they just need to get it together.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Catherine S,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the lack of response you have received to date. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your stay.
Please contact me at (570) 595-8909 at your convenience.

NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I bought voucher to Skytop at Travelzoo and called for a few days trying to make a reservation without any luck. Nobody was willing to MAKE A RESERVATION. Debbie, Brandon, Sean at the main reservation desk only make empty promises and even manager refused to talk to me. It is a shame as I have never had this kind of attitude. I am returning my vouchers but upset by loss of my time, effort and disgusted about all experience. Beware, stay away from this voucher. And Travelzoo should stop selling empty promises also.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear LiMarek19,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconsistencies in service that you experienced. This does not represent Skytop’s standard of customer service.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further. Please contact me at your convenience at (570) 595-8909. I trust that we will be able to gain your trust in Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!