“Disappointing Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
new york
“Disappointing Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have been to Skytop several times with my family in the summer and always found that there was plenty to do with the indoor and outdoor pools,lake activities, beautiful gardens, hikes, etc. My family and I were very disappointed in the limited offerings available on a recent April weekend. Our first stop was the activities desk where we signed up for archery. The staff member atthe desk didnt bother to tell us that the equipment was indoors and needed to be obtained from her, so after trooping outdoors, we had to come back in for the bows and arrows. She was very rude when questioned about why she did not give us the equipment upon signing up. Although the rock wall was advertised as being opened from 9 to 4, staff at the Adventure Center turned us away when we tried to climb mid day because they were short staffed and did not have anyone to assist with the climbing. We were told to come back later in the day, which we did and were able to climb. We were also told that it was "too muddy" to do geocaching, so that activity was not available. We instead elected to take out mountain bikes and when we showed up at the location where bikes were stored, there was no staff avaiable to assist with the supply of rusty bikes in disrepair, and helmets were not available. We did have an enjoyable ride to the waterfall but would have felt safer with better equipment. A staff member was there when we returned the bikes and he agreed that the bikes were in poor condition. We were also disappointed when the Adventure Center staff told us that the adventure course was sold out for the weekend and that no wait list was maintained. When another member of our party called back and asked if we could split our group we were accomodated. Why wasn't this offered the first time around? On a positive note, the adventure course was a blast and our guide Lisa was great. Another positive experience were the hikes and animal demos with Rick that were fun and informative. Rick's passion for the outdoors is contagious. Laser tag and paint ball were also unavailable, althought the staff was in the process of opening laser tag late in the day Sunday. Why was this not made available for the weekend? All in all, it was very hard to keep our family group of 15, including 8 teens and tweens occupied for the weekend.

Another huge disappointment was the private dinner arranged for my parents 50th anniversary. We booked a private room (at an additional cost of $200) but it was across the long lobby from the main dining room and kitchen and most of the food arrived cold. I had to go in to the dining toom to request that someone fill the water glasses and received a curt response from the dining room manager that the wait staff did not arrive until 6:30 (our party was booked to start at 6). We were also offered very limited meal choices, despite being under the impression that the full dining room menu was available. The appetizer selections (on which we were not consulted) were totally unacceptable (a squash dish and smoked salmon sliders) so were were given "permision" to order appetizers only from the main dining room menu. The icing on the cake was when one of the three main dish choices was announced as being unavailable and many of us had to change our orders at the last minute. Why was this option offered if there was not enough to go around? The kids were also very unhappy with the overly rare prime rib served to them and finally gave up and asked for chicken fingers from the childrens menu. The waitress had the nerve to tell them they were ordering too much food. The rest of the food we had over the weekend was much better, with the exception of the Sunday brunch buffet which was nearly empty when we sat down to eat at 12:50.

I addressed some of these issues with the manager over the phone and while he seemed to be concerned, he did not offer an explanation or assurance that these issues would be addressed. He did promise to refund the additional activity charge since we were able to do so little.

I really wished that this anniversary weekend had been the same positive experience my family and I enjoyed in the past. If Skytop would make more of a concerted effort to entertain guests, we would have had a better time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear SupermomNewYork,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent stay. It was pleasure speaking with you over the phone.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the lapses in service you experienced during your visit. This certainly does not represent our world-class service standards and I have discussed these concerns with our team. I can assure you that these issues have been corrected and will not occur again in the future. Our team is dedicated to providing the memorable experiences that you so fondly recall of past visits to Skytop.

I look forward to welcoming and meeting you personally on your next visit.

Vice President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We visited 18-20 April during my kids spring break.... arrived by noon and were offered accomodation immediately - we had booked the stream cottage with promise of great views....however, the one we were alloted had no view of the stream or the golf course - just landfill temporarily being fixed....we went back and were promptly offered another room - this time the reception agent was much more pleasant than the lady who checked us in initially.....from there on, the experience was wonderful. Key points -

Stream cottage is excellent - a little further from the main property but amazing views and privacy too
The main building lobby, dining areas and facilities are very elegant and period rich....wonderful ambiance
Staff was extremely friendly and attentive - esp the servers at the restaurant...I do recognize that we were one of 8-10 guests in the resort - which may explain the special attention....nevertheless it was great
Food was exceptional through all meals - esp dinners. I am pleasantly surprised by the high end food, taste and presentation
Excellent indoor pool, gardens, trails and golf

One dissapointment - while the booking agent at resort confirmed that facilities and activities are operational, we found some of them (kayaking, painball, etc) were not operational...nothing significant just felt a bit misinformed.

Overall a great resort and facility for families at a short drive from NY....

Room Tip: Avoid weekends when it gets crowded
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Rick_J_12,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent visit. I am glad that overall you had a wonderful stay. I agree that our Streamside Cottages offer a unique Skytop experience, providing a sense of seclusion and breathtaking views while still being close to the Lodge and grounds. As you noted, our Lodge and facilities are rich in history, which our team endeavors to preserve and honor with its dedication to world-class service. I have shared your comments with our culinary team as well as our entire staff. They are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay.

I apologize for the misinformation you received prior to your visit. Although the majority of our activities were operational during your stay, weather conditions prevented us from opening certain facilities. I have addressed the issue of providing timely information to our guests with our reservations staff.

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Farmington, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just back from a 5 days Romantic getaway at the Sky Top Lodge in the Poconos. The hotel is recognized by the fine dining experience in an all meals included American plan. At the Windsor Dining Room, we were expecting a reasonable buffet presentation but happily surprised with a high end, top quality a la cart menu. Highlighted with incredible crafted and delicious deserts, most mention everyone’s favorite chocolate delight. Not a dollar menu but a big return on investment for the breakfast, lunch and dinner. Service is incredibly cordial, courteous and professional, down side is the kind of restrictive service hour’s windows, hour and a half for breakfast and dinner and just one hour for lunch.

Room Tip: Request a third floor lake view room! Lots of weddings on weekends!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Chef-Rolo,

Thank you for sharing your feedback in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. Our culinary team consistently provides a world-class dining experience for our guests. Skytop’s fine dining experience is greatly enhanced by the excellent service provided by our dining room staff, as well as our entire team. I will be sure to share your comments with them. They will be glad to know you enjoyed your stay.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Three friends and I went to the Skytop Adventure Center on April 7th for the Treetop Zipline & Challenge Course. We had the most excellent time. Our guide Chris was fantastic and showed us how to do each part of the course when we were unsure of what to do. He answered all our questions and was really friendly and fun. Unlike some zipline courses where the guides don't actually do the course with you, the guides at Skytop are right there in the trees doing the course and helping you out. We were all sad when we came to the end of the course, and immediately wanted to do it again. I highly recommend the Treetop Zipline & Challenge Course. All four of us are already discussing another trip to Skytop for more ziplining and to check out the other activities that they offer.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Douglas H, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear 304KW304,

Thank you for providing feedback in relation to your recent Treetop Adventure experience. Our course is unique in that the guides actually lead the guests through the course. Chris is an excellent guide and each member of our Adventure Center team is capable and friendly. They provide exceptional experiences for our guests.

The Adventure Center also offers rock climbing, paintball and mountain biking, which are all great activities for a group to enjoy. I trust that your next visit to Skytop will be even more exciting than your last.

Bogota, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayning at this hotel is like taking a trip to the 80´s as some things seem outdated. Beautiful premises,

It is the perfect place to learn snow skying as teh very small sky center is not very crowded. Good teachers.

The food is ok, for an allinclusive hotel. The wine list is out very good.

The staff in teh front desk is not friendly at all.

They charge a 15%t tip over the whole bill, which I think was ridiculous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear 407PaulaC75,

Thank you for sharing your Skytop experiences with me. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. Our ski area is perfect for beginners. We have a great team of experienced instructors.

I sincerely apologize for the service you received at the Front Desk and I have addressed this issue with our team. We will ensure that our excellent service standards are upheld in this area. Also, please note that the gratuity charge is applied in order that our guests do not feel obligated to tip individually in each area of the Lodge.

Thank you for your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Skytop.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at Skytop the week before the Memorial Day this year. The resort was very quiet and gearing up for the big weekend. We got to watch they plan tons of flowers. This was our 2nd time at Skytop. We brought our 1 year old daughter and the resort was great for her. She turned 1 the week we were there and they brought out a cupcake for her and the wait staff sang to her. It was very cute. I cannot say enough great things about the dining staff. They do everything to make all your dining experiences great. They brought out anything we needed for our little girl. The food is very good and made me almost feel like I was on a cruise. It's all included with your room fee which isn't cheap but they do feed you a lot. Keep in mind any alcohol is not included and they are making a nice mark-up on that. This resort is very family friendly and don’t make you feel awful when your toddler acts out at a meal. They do stick to the rule of the suit coat for dining so don’t forgot to pack. If you do don’t worry they will let you borrow one!!! They did provide us with a crib for our room and a small fridge for all our baby supplies.
We did have a rainy week. We made the best of it and had a great time. The property is very beautiful and very well maintained. We love going on walks around the lake and all over Skytop’s property. I'm sure as our daughter gets older she will get to partake in the the fun activities at Skytop.

Overall very beautiful property with wonderful staff that cannot do enough for you!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear jerseyjenn,

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad that you chose Skytop as the destination for your daughter’s first birthday celebration. We certainly have a wonderful team who provide world-class service for our guests. I shared your comments with them and they were pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay. Skytop is a beautiful place year-round and it is special in the spring. Our grounds team ensures that Skytop’s natural beauty is enhanced by careful tending to our trails and gardens.

We look forward to welcoming your family back to Skytop.

Glen Mills, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family of 6 stayed at Skytop 3-25-13 to 3-28-13.
Found the food to be diner grade at best. Staff was rude and for the most part unhelpful (with the exception of Fernando our server). Our initial food server was so rude she found it necessary to tell us how many tables she was serving when we asked for choclate milk for my son.
Activities for young children were awful, unless you like to pay a premium price to have your children spend there time in afternoon coloring and play do sessions.
Pool water looked dirty.
Adventure center staff need a lesson in sensitivity training. My 10 ten yr old son left in tears.
Front desk peronsal were not welcoming in the least. Seemed to be just putting the time in.
We were so looking forward to this brief vacation. It was so bad we left a day earlier than our required departure date. Upon departure the front desk person responded with a simple "OK" when told why we were leaving early. It seemed failure was acceptable in this case.
We won't return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear jamesv708,

It was a pleasure meeting you throughout your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. I personally shared your feedback with our team. They certainly were very concerned that we did not live up to our mission of providing world-class service.

I will contact you and look forward to regaining your confidence in Skytop.

Vice President & General Manager

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!