“Buyer Be Ware” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Buyer Be Ware”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I visited this facility for a romantic weekend in February 2013. Overall the lodging is pleasant, however, the king-size bed, is NOT a king size bed! Instead, it is two extra long singles put together. That means that two people can't actually sleep next to each other unless one of them wants to be in the seam created by the two mattresses.

For a high-end/high-cost hotel, this is unacceptable. Unfortunately, we found out this detailed late at night as we were going to sleep and at that point, we did not want to deal with moving to another room. (Who knew you need to check for this?)

I had booked a king size bed so the next day I complaint to the front desk and their chevalier answer was "you have a king size bed, if you want a single mattress king size bed, you must special request that." I was shocked with the answer. How can a hotel of this caliber address this issue with such carelessness?

I have not experienced a hotel/motel placing two mattresses together as a "king size bed" in Motel 6 through the Ritz Carlton. A first for me and something I would have never expected at the Skytop Lodge

Very disappointed with the management and the facility. With such poor customer service, I would not go again or recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear cg1300,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the attitude that you encountered at our front desk in relation to your request for a king size bed. It is certainly our intention to provide all of our guests with an immediate response to their needs. The appropriate answer from the front desk should have been, “we will make every effort to accommodate you and provide you with a king size bed.” I will certainly discuss this with our front office and with our front office manager. As to the issue of single beds pushed together to form a king size bed, we do that on occasion to accommodate specific needs. Unfortunately, this room was listed as a king size bedded room in our room inventory system, which was our error.

If you would kindly give me a call, I would like to rectify this with you. My telephone number is (570) 595-7401.

President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in a cottage with our two teenage boys and sister in law and her family which was about 100 feet from the Main lodge. The cottage consists of four separate rooms with private baths, but you can connect two rooms on each side together if you want, which is what we did. We booked the Winter Wonderland Package for the weekend of February 1 for just around $1,000 for four people that included the cottage queen bedroom room with one twin sofabed and one twin cot. The cost also included 3 meals daily, skiing, ski lifts, ice skating, toboganning, and all their activities.

The skiing had three runs...pretty good for being included in the plan. Also included a T-Bar lift to the top. There were three sections you could ski depending on your skill level. Snowboarding was also included.

ice Skating was a large sized rink and they had candelight skating at nighttime that consists of glass votices with battery operated candels in them set all around the wall of the rink. The garage type doors are opened - one on both ends to accommodate the cold and blowing snow inside as well. They have a Warming Room just inside the rink off the floor to change and keep warm if you are just watching.

For me, the tobagonning was worth every cent of the entire weekend! It is the last of the original tobaggon runs left where you actually sit on a real wood tobaggon in a part wood/concrete run and fly out over the frozen lake. what a rush!!!!

Everything was exceptionally clean and very well maintained. Normally, we have stayed at Mohonk Mountainhouse, an exclusive 5 star resort with spa, but personally I have found Skytop Lodge to be a better value for a lot of less money. The staff was super friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. Overall, I would rate the total experience like being on a cruise ship...but on land.

The only complaints we have is that staying in the cottage gave you privacy and quiet, BUT, the biggest drawback was we had to walk back and forth for everything. Being a high of only 17 degrees and snow constantly, this became quite a pain...especially when arriving for dinner which was jacket required for men. Oh yeah...about the jacket...my husband's biggest complaint was that all teenagers and men are REQUIRED to wear a dinner jacket and if you don't have one - they won't let you in the Dining Room! Yes..that's right...BUT, they will give you a jacket to wear if you didn't bring one. Just ask at the front desk and put it on, walk inside the Dining Room, then take it off and hang it on your chair...you don't have to wear it anymore. This, I must admit, it the DUMBEST thing we have ever heard!...oh, and believe it or not...there is no charge to borrow the jacket and you keep it for the entire time you are there.

Food was delicious and comparable to cruise ship dining with ordering off specialty menus or eating off buffets. Soda, coffee, and tea were also included, as well as all gratuities.

Overall, all of us would definitely go back and are already talking about next year! Next time, we will figure out how to stay in the Main Lodge (but they told us only the cottages accommodate 4 people).

Don't miss out - this place is exceptional!!!

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking back and forth from the cottage to the hotel for meals and activities...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Teambono,

Thank you for your recent response in relation to your stay at Skytop. I do completely agree with you that Skytop is an excellent venue and value for a family retreat. With our long list of activities – winter and summer –we offer a great variety of fun things for the entire family. I agree about the toboggan. It is truly one of the most invigorating activities at Skytop. Although it is weather-dependent, we make sure that it is open as frequently as possible. In relation to our dinner attire requesting gentlemen wear jackets, it is a longtime tradition at Skytop. We feel that with today’s emphasis on dinner with families and friends that it does provide a level of decorum that is not always found in today’s busy world. I am glad that you found our food to be delicious and our menus interesting and imaginative. I’ll be sure to share this with our culinary team. They will be delighted to know that you so enjoyed Skytop’s food.

I hope you have a great year. On your next visit please give me a call. I would love to introduce myself and say hello.

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I hate writing bad reviews. This is actually the first review I have written on here. I tried to contact customer service by sending an e-mail last week, but I never received a response. The employees at the Skytop Lodge were all extremely nice and willing to help as much as possible. The bell staff, front desk and waitstaff were all awesome and amazing.

The worst part about this place was the noise. There was a party downstairs and music was blasting until 11:30pm. It was so loud that we couldn't sleep. We also were put next to a connecting room that had screaming children for 2 hours at 4am in the morning. The lodge seemed really quiet, I can't figure out why they would put people in adjoining rooms when they obviously were no where near capacity.

The other issue we had was the food. We went to the Lakeview dinner and it was really awful. The pork sliders were so dry that we couldn't even eat them. The rest of the food was edible, but nothing great. We had brunch in the main dining room the following morning and it was AWESOME. Really great food. The two different offerings aren't even comparable, really.

The last issue we had, was really not the Skytop's fault. We went dog sledding, which is run independently from the lodge and it wasn't what we had expected. We were told it was an hour experience, which we assumed meant going on the sled with the dogs for an hour. No. It was about 20 minutes of talking and 1 single lap that was maybe a mile long. Seriously. That's it. It was a nice memory for our daughter, but we would never do it again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and the music was blasting. I would try to get a room higher up in h...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Chris G,

Thank you for your sharing your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop Lodge. I apologize for the delay in responding to Jillian’s email of January 28th. We mailed the following response yesterday:

Thank you very much for sharing your Skytop experiences with me. I am delighted to know that overall your stay at Skytop was enjoyable. We are fortunate to have such a wonderful staff of caring employees that provide our guests with a great experience. However, I am dismayed that you encountered several incidences during your stay that did not live up to your expectations of Skytop. Please accept my sincere apologies for your next door neighbors that had a child up all night. I can only imagine that this was truly disruptive to your stay. We do try to segregate children throughout the Lodge but that is not always possible. Additionally, I will be sure to discuss with our Chef the food at the Lakeview Restaurant. Generally we do receive rave reviews on our food in that restaurant but I will try to determine how we can improve on it.

I will also take this opportunity to discuss with our dogsledding group to ensure that we are offering a quality experience. I know that our dogsledders want to ensure that they provide the best experience. I will certainly bring this to their attention to see if we can make improvements in that area.

In that that this was to be such a special occasion for you and your husband, I would like to invite you back to Skytop as our guest for a one room night stay excluding food. I know that we can recapture the experiences that you had at Skytop. I would like to make sure that Skytop a memorable and relaxing experience for you and your husband. Please call Randi Alejandro at (570) 595-8909 and she will be happy to assist you with your reservation.

I hope that we can welcome you back to Skytop soon.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Our second stay at this grand old lodge. They have something for everyone, with amazing outdoor activities, and indoor fun as well. Many dining options (we loved the Tap Room) but the Meal Plan is probably best for families. They really have the formula done right here. The grounds are well maintained, and the entire staff is professional, helpful and friendly. Even though there were kids galore, everyone was well-behaved. Hard to say anything negative, except for the fact that we had to leave!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear NinerKW,

Thank you for sharing your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop Lodge. I am delighted that your family had such a wonderful visit. We offer so many fun activities for all ages, from indoor laser tag and nature shows to a host of outdoor activities, including skiing, snowshoeing and tobogganing. We are fortunate to have a great staff who work hard to provide such caring service to our guests.

I hope we can welcome you back to Skytop soon. Have a great year!

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We started coming to Skytop in the fall in 1998 and have tried to come back once a year since. Our extended families have all tried and fell in love with Skytop as we did on that first weekend.
From the doorman who has been there forever and welcomes us back, to the dining room servers who cater to families, to the activities to numerous to mention,there is something for everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear sixmolars,

Great to have you back to Skytop. We sincerely enjoy having your family visit us. We are so proud of our staff and our doormen, housekeepers and dining room servers. It is truly a pleasure to have your family visit us on your annual getaway.

I hope to see you on your next stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Skytop Lodge is a rarity in today's world of all inclusive resorts where it's non-stop activities and crazy children let loose. Skytop is about families spending quality time together and being active outside, yet returning inside for meals in a semi-formal relaxing dining room. The activities are great and well hosted by a quality staff. The food is very good and high quality, although our breakfast server was not good or attentive. When another server noticed this, he came over to pick up the table. A hike with the naturalist on staff was great and informative.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the ends of the main lodge. The bathrooms are bigger.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear brichv,

Thank you for sharing with us your experiences at Skytop Lodge. I am always very proud of our offerings and the commitment we have to ensure that our families have a quality retreat. We do have such a wide variety of activities. I can tell you our staff are dedicated to providing our guests with caring service.

I certainly hope that we can welcome you back to Skytop soon.

Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited Skytop in the second week of January. The main lodge still had most of their Christmas decorations up, although they had just taken down the gingerbread house. We stayed in a cottage this time, as the main lodge was full. Their were four rooms in the cottage, and the room was fairly spacious with a back patio also. We hiked on the various trails everyday, despite the snow and some ice, including a couple of hikes with the naturalist, Rick Koval. Rick is extremely knowledgeable, and we learned a lot on his hikes. We ate all our meals in the main lodge, and the food was uniformly excellent. One nice touch is that you are assigned a table for your entire stay, and when you go to the restaurant, you simply go to your table, and the waiters appear shortly. Three meals a day are included in the room price. We arrived on Friday night and checked out on Monday afternoon. There were a lot of people there on the weekend - in part due to two weddings on Saturday, but Monday was very quiet. The next time we go will probably be in mid-week, as you feel like you have most of the resort to yourself - although not all activities are offered mid week. All in all, a relaxing enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We prefer the main lodge, but found the cottage to be quite comfortable. Family groups may prefer a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wtrav77,

Thank you for sharing your Skytop experiences with me. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Rick Koval is truly a great ambassador for Skytop. He will be delighted to know that you found his guided hikes to be both educational and fun. We realize how important it is to serve a great meal to our guests. Our Executive Chef Steve Sundberg has been with Skytop for 25 years and continues to amaze me with his culinary achievements. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Rick and Steve as well as our entire staff. They will be happy to know that you had a wonderful stay.

I hope we can welcome you back soon!

President & General Manager

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!