“Lovely Fall Weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Long Island, NY
“Lovely Fall Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife & I had a wonderful weekend at Skytop with my college buddy and his wife. The king room in the main lodge was spacious and very comfortable. The food was delicious. Our server the first evening was a bit aloof, but the next two days our new server, Camille, was fantastic. She remembered little details, like my wife preferring skim milk in her coffee, and brought it without us having to ask.

The highlight of the weekend, hands down, was the harvest lake stroll, with food and wine tasting stations set up around the perimeter of the lake. I am a big wine enthusiast and I was very impressed with both the quality and quantity of the wineries from all over the world that participated.

The golf course was a bit beat up, no doubt from the large groups of wedding guests that have no clue about golf etiquette. My buddy & I got out early for 9 holes on the back and breezed through the course. Those who were playing 18, however, were in for a long round due to the abundance of really lousy golfers.

Some areas that could use improvement were the difference in Skytop being rated very good rather than excellent, such as the reservation system and the check-out process. It appears that Skytop uses two different reservation systems which are not integrated and they assign two different confirmation numbers to the same booking - very confusing. Also, it was not possible to book the AARP rate on-line, I had to call for that. The check-out process requires the guests to wait in a long line to receive a print out of the bill and to hand in the keys. Not very efficient.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear LI_Tony,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. I can think of no better time than the Harvest Lake Stroll weekend to sample the best of Skytop’s food and beverage. This weekend has grown to be one of the highlights of the year. There is nothing more enjoyable than spending a beautiful afternoon walking around our lake, sipping wines from all over the country, sampling food from a number of different restaurants, all under a blue sky day. I am so delighted that you and your buddies had such a great time. Sorry about the slow play on the course. Also, I will get more information and will pass that along to in relation to the AARP rate.

I do thank you for your comments. I hope you have a great year.

President & General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Checking in was a breeze, and our suite was nice. The resort is old which means the rooms tend to be a little dark and dated, but they are very comfortable nonetheless. The grounds are spectacular. Outdoor activities are a must, even if you only walk down any of several hiking paths. The view from the top of the building is breathtaking. The staff was attentive and pleasant. Just be warned that Skytops is all by itself in the middle of nowhere. So if you don't like their food or accommodations, you are in trouble!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a suite. It's worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Gigi111652,

Thank you very much for your kind comments in relation to your recent stay at Skytop. Skytop is an historic resort and although it is a challenge to offer all of the conveniences of a modern resort, we do offer great service provided by a caring staff. Skytop is a step back in time with a beautiful, majestic stone building. Our staff is constantly recognized as a very caring and attentive group. Yes, we are in “middle of nowhere” but if we weren’t in the middle of nowhere we would not be who we are.

I do appreciate your comments and hope to see you soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Came from nyc power outage for fun and r and r. Staff was rude, unhelpful, did not explain the activities available or food. Sure has changed since coming here 5-6 yrs ago on a steady basis. It was like the unwelcome sign was out. Kings ransom for very poor food and dated facilities. I will NOT be coming back!!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Nighttlightt,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your recent experiences at Skytop. I must say the entire week of the storm while Skytop was running on generators, while our staff worked tirelessly to accommodate the many guests that we had, while the effects of the storm were less apparent at Skytop but very real, we made every effort to take care of our guests. I am sorry if you felt that there were glitches in our providing service. Our rates were very fair, in fact, lower than they were five years ago. We worked diligently to ensure that all of our guests were well taken care of in the harshest of circumstances.

I would ask that you would give me a call. If there is any way that we can repair the unfortunate experiences that you had at Skytop, I will make every effort to do so.

Scranton, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I recently stayed at Skytop for a wedding last weekend, and was extremely disappointed in everything except the outside of the building, the valet staff, and the scenery. Checking in took an extremely long time and the woman behind the desk was neither efficient or informative. Additionally, NOTHING regarding the different restaurants and their unusual hours of operation were mentioned. 1 elevator in the entire hotel - so frustrating that i can not put it into words. The room, which was located on the 4th floor was small, very old, and extremely hot- to the point where the windows were open the entire time we were there- which did not help. The television was an antique. No wifi. If you miss 9 am breakfast, your only option to get something to eat in in the "tea room" which is actually a diner/pharmacy/soda fountain. Ordering three coffees was too much for the two woman working there on saturday, and it took 30 minutes for me to get coffee and no one was in line in front of me. When the man behind me ordered his coffee with skim milk, the employee got the mile out of the freezer, sniffed it in front of us, and then asked the other employee if she thought it smelled OK, as the expiration date was the 21st, and it happened to be the 27th. SHE THEN SERVED IT TO HIM after he told her he did not want it. ALL OF THIS IN FRONT OF GUESTS. Disgusting.
Some bright spots: 1.) room was clean but is in sever need of a remodel; 2.) when we asked the staff for two twin beds (as was confirmed by our reservation) they were quick to assist; 3) valet and bellhop staff were very efficient, kind, and helpful and went above and beyond to assist me. Everything else was an absolute nightmare. No room service. No bar, just a dinky dark cubby hole of a place where the waitress was extremely rude.

Whoever ranked this as the #1 "Luxury" Lodge in North America is insane. NOTHING LUXURIOUS about it and it was $355.00 per night!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear C G,

Thank you for providing me with your recent experience at Skytop Lodge. I am sincerely distressed that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. Certainly, during a period when you are a guest of a wedding we want to extend to you every courtesy. I am particularly disappointed that you did not have a good experience in our Tea Room. It is such a delightful place to enjoy a hamburger and a milkshake. I am not sure why you were not able to connect to our internet as we do offer it on a complimentary basis to our guests. We also do offer room service for our guests’ convenience. I will be the first to admit that we do not have a complete inventory of such modern conveniences as a bank of elevators or the most advanced flat screen televisions. We actually do have a number of elevators throughout our property, featuring one that is a wonderfully reconstructed elevator from 1928.

I would be happy to discuss your visit with you if you would like to give me a call at (570) 595-7401.

Seneca Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel is something that one would think didn't exist any more. The staff was attentive and friendly and efficient. The dining was exceptional and served with a flair. Our rooms were comfortable and clean.

All in all it was a great weekend!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear domcot,

Thank you for sharing your recent Skytop experience with me. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful staff who take such pride in providing caring and attentive service to our guests. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments to them as well as our chef and his crew.

I hope you have a wonderful fall and that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

'Nige
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here for two nights for a corporate event. Fantastic location with lots of activities for the outdoor type. Good selection of indoor games in the bar area as well.

The food was good quality and fresh, and service from the staff was friendly and helpful. The only point which lets this place down is the old decor - in the public areas it is great, and is an integral part of the places charm, but the hotel bedrooms could do with updating to the 21st century.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear IfitsMonday,

Thank you for providing me with your comments in relation to your corporate event. I do agree with you that our rooms do need a facelift and actually starting next year we plan to begin a complete rehab of our guest rooms. Our public areas and meeting areas are state of the art and offer meeting attendees and our social guests a great opportunity to either have a place to work or a place to relax. I hope you have the opportunity to return with your family to Skytop in the near future. There are so many activities here that make a weekend getaway a wonderful experience.

I hope to see you soon.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I arrived here on Columbus Day when most people were checking out. Initially the front desk people were not very nice , and checked us in through stern joyless faces. Perhaps they were exhausted after a busy holiday weekend. We got into the room and we were not very excited, actually disappointed, as it was small, the bathroom was tiny, not much of a view, and the tv was at a right angle to the bed. The next day we went down to the front desk and they were nice enough (different crew than at check in) to give us a much better room for the same price. This made all the difference in our enjoyment. The second room was much better. They have an old heat and air system which is, according to the room directory guide book, really either on, or off. I don't think you can really set a desired temperature. We turned the heat off and opened the windows to get the room comfortable for us.

The setting is beautiful, and there is lots to do, although some of the activities were at additional charge. The pool was nice with a good hot tub. No children were there this time of year, but I could see that they would have a good time.

The food was good, which is important since you are paying for all meals with the price of the room. Men are required to wear a jacket for dinner.

The place has an old world feel and it is definitely not an updated, modern place by design. So if you need modern amenities, it is not for you. If you want to go back in time to another era then it will be perfect.

Dear beach2mountains,

Thank very much for taking time to post your Skytop trip experiences on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful stay. There are so many things to do and although there were not as many children at Skytop as in the summer, it is such a remarkable family destination. I will pass along your kind comments in relation to our food to our Chef. Food is an important component of Skytop in that your room rate includes three meals a day as well as many other activities. I am disappointed that your first room accommodation was not to your satisfaction. However, I am delighted that were able to find you another room that suited your needs much better. Yes, we are an historic hotel and fortunately many of the architectural peculiarities of Skytop are very charming.

I hope you have a great fall and see you soon.

President & General Manager

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!