“Hits and misses” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skytop
Bigfork, Montana
“Hits and misses”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We just returned from a week long family reunion at Skytop. First for that purpose, serving about 50 people in an all inclusive package I would say Skytop delivered. Staff wise the only unfriendly staff I met was once at the front desk when telling them the remote control was missing and being asked if I 'had looked for it'. But someone showed up quickly with a replacement. And I cannot think of any other staff that was not friendly and helpful.
The grounds and physical plant were probably the biggest disappointment. We stayed in cottages that appear to be in the middle of remodeling. The furnishings were on the shabby side, the decor was hilariously mismatched and looked as though odds and ends from other parts of the hotel were being utilized. The pillows were rock hard, I ended up taking a sham pillow and putting a pillow case on it to try and make it work. Another pillow was so broken down it was useless. Overall the room was clean enough and the housekeeping staff was friendly. One bothersome thing, especially for a group with toddlers, was the seemingly constant traffic of large trucks, laundry trucks, in our cottage area. It felt like something done for the convenience of the staff, not the guest's comfort.
The grounds were in terrible condition. As a professional horticulturist, I may have noticed more than most but many flower beds were just weed filled. There was a dead tree outside our cabin. The cutting garden was a weed patch. The annuals were puny and looked cheap. You would expect more from a high end lodge. It looked like budget cut after budget cut has hit the grounds department. Golfers in our group said the course was well kept but made the same complaints about weeds.
Biggest complaint would be $10/day internet connection. It is ridiculous in this day and age for a 'high end' property to charge for internet service. And I notice in one response to a review that the reply indicated someone should check the website for activities. Really? Fishing licensing was also overpriced but I assume they have no say in that.
The food was fine, typical resort fare. The dining staff was very attentive. We had a special dinner that was very good and showed some imagination on the chef's part. Some entrees like the prime rib were generous, some like the chicken were not. Over all okay food.
At any rate, I would say for the price it was not as it should have been but overall it was okay. I have no urge to go back, I would not spend money there again. The overall impression was that Skytop may be coasting on past reputation and losing sight of the idea of what a high end resort needs to be in this day and age.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
EMayotte, General Manager at Skytop Lodge, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Dear PBeee:

Thank you for visiting Skytop Lodge and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations or communicate better to you the many activities and facilities available to our guests. You can visit our website and under the Calendar of Events page click on a link that takes you to a copy of “Skylites” our weekly activities schedule. Skylites lists day by day all of the planned activities available as well as important information such as hours of operation and telephone extensions for our outlets and recreation facilities. I am sorry that you missed that. I am also sorry that you were not aware that complimentary internet is available to all of our guests in our brand new Business Center on the lower level of the Main Lodge. In addition this has truly been a rainy spring and that rain has put the planting of our gardens way behind schedule. In order to catch up we chose to focus on our formal garden located in the South Courtyard. Our formal garden is where many of our guests choose to relax and enjoy the serenity. With the cooperation of Mother Nature we are catching up with the planting of our other gardens. Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Skytop soon.

Ed Mayotte
President and General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Ithaca, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have stayed at numerous high level resorts. I like charming, don't mind old, but I do mind dirty and rundown. Skytop was WAY overpriced, and had "incidental costs" for ridiculous things. For example, we paid a $80 per day kids fee and yet it cost almost $30 for two kids to rent a fishing pole, an extra $30 to rock climb, etc.

The cottages, simply put, were pretty bad. Upon checkin our keys didn't work on the cheap door knob fixtures and we had to wait to get into the room. It wasn't worth the wait -- think your grandmother's 1980 design, with worn furnitues and fixtures, spiderwebs, a disgusting rug, and it was damp. I understand that it has been a wet spring/summer season, but the room felt like there was mold or mildew in it. Our eyes were itchy. The big joke was that we would have preferred to be at at a Courtyard by Marriott rather than this "luxury 4 star" resort.

The food was also not very good, other than the brunch. At the afternoon cookies, they ran out of lemonade and made no attempt to get any more. Proper customer service would be "let us see about getting some more" - and not- "too bad we are out."

Skytop's saving grace -- proximity to NYC, a pretty building and landscaping, but other than than, it isn't worth it. For the cost, go elsewhere ! !

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Sandrika_13;

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to Skytop Lodge. Please let me apologize for our failure to live up to your expectations. We take great pride in providing our guests with a first rate experience. It is exactly that experience that has kept our guests coming back again and again. Some of our guests come back generation after generation. Somehow we failed to provide that experience to you. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and please do not hesitate to contact me as it would be my pleasure to arrange a return visit to Skytop so that you may experience the type of service that has kept our award winning resort an important part of our guests’ vacation experience for over 83 years!

Ed Mayotte
President and General Manager
Hunterdon, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Stayed at Skytop to attend a 2 day meeting with work colleagues. The hotel is a gem hidden in Pennsylvania. The grounds and gardens are beautiful and the place is very historical. Rooms are on the smaller side, but very comfortable. The dining room is large with lots of windows. The food was good, not 5 star, but satisfying. Overall, good venue for a little R&R and for business as well.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed at Skytop for two days this past weekend for a friend's wedding. Overall, we enjoyed the experience. The lodge itself has beautiful gardens and a lot of class. Our room was simple, but very comfortable, with pretty views of their lake. The staff are some of the friendliest I have ever encountered -- and not the slightest bit pretentious. If you love golf, or are trying to plan a get-away with younger children, I think Skytop would be tops (though of course I defer to golf lovers on whether the course is any good). As for us, we are a childless gay couple who definitely do not golf, so it wasn't precisely where we would go on our own, but we still found plenty to do (including a very pretty hike to a waterfall on the property).

In terms of negatives, there was nothing that would make me not recommend Skytop. The building is historic and generally well-preserved, but definitely rough around the edges in a few places. And, while I would describe our room as simple and relaxing, it was not luxurious. Also, while the staff had an amazing attitude, they did occasionally seem a little disorganized, particularly in the restaurant (but not at the front desk). Finally, aside from the dining room, the hotel only has one bar in the basement, which is a shame given how many scenic views they have that would go perfectly with a cocktail.

The bottom line is that the resort probably isn't for everyone -- but if you an avid golfer or are just looking for a relaxing getaway in a classic setting, this is definitely a good option.

Room Tip: No idea.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Fort Washington, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

We enjoyed 2 nights at Skytop for a business and pleasure trip. The building and surrounding grounds are immaculate. Skytop offers many activities year round for families. The main room is welcoming and we found the staff exceptionally helpful and friendly. The rooms seem a bit dated and some of the technical aspects are still behind the times (I experienced an issue simply trying to dial an 800 but the helpful staff quickly resolved the issue). The food was also high quality. While prices are not low, I think Skytop provides a very warm and welcome family and business getaway option. From a business meeting perspective, I was told that the Tamarack room was quite nice and amenities and support staff were top notch.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I just revisited my 2009 review of the property. We revisited the property this past Memorial Day weekend. We continue to really like it. This time we stayed in a streamside cottage; it is excellent modern lodging and the feeling in that area (even though there are adjoining cottages and we heard some of the kids in the next one and of course they heard ours too) is totally rural, scenic and relaxing. It is a good 5 minute walk to the main building but the shuttle comes on demand pretty quick. The food was better than I remembered it last time and the dinner entrees are really top flight, innovative and they work; only annoying thing is that at lunch they tend to run out of desserts on the buffet so you gotta hoard halfway through the hour or watch 'em go. Big kudos here on service; the people working here are mostly locals and they totally care if you have a good time and want to come back, from the valet to the spa personnel to the dining room staff. We'll be back.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
long island ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Skytop is a very special place and my family and I fell in love with it. My first impression was wow, I can't believe a place like this still exists. I can understand some of the negative reviews because it's not for everyone and it's not the lap of luxury. But we were charmed by its magic and have wonderful family memories.
We all can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Skytop Lodge? Share your experiences!