“One of favorite breakfast places in the country” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“One of favorite breakfast places in the country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband & I drove past Tomcat many times after moving to PA several years ago. Some friends told us it was amazing, so we decided to check it out. When we first saw the extensive breakfast menu, we thought, "Oh great...big menu means jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none." Boy, were we wrong! In the past two years, we have tried numerous dishes on the menu, as well as some of their weekly specials. From pancakes (there are 56 different options) to bread bowls to specialty french toast to breakfast sandwiches, everything IS amazing! They even have a section called "The X-Files" with some funky combinations and the items we've tried from there are incredible. The food is delicious. The portions are huge and the prices are very reasonable for what you get. The service is great. It is one of my favorite breakfast destinations in the country.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Sinking Spring, PA
“Outstanding in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Tomcat is an outstanding restuarant with an amazingly creative menue. Breakfast is the best. Be prepared to wait a bit, but every minute is worth it.

Visited August 2013
Califon, New Jersey
“Best breakfast in the Reading area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Probably the most imaginative and interesting breakfast place in the Reading area. The portions are enormous, which to me seems like a waste of food considering they could pack the place just on the decent food quality and the promise of the great menu. I finished my French toast but my partner could only eat one of his pancakes and even then he had to share it around the table to accomplish that. I was served pancakes that large at the Country Pancake House in Ridgewood NJ and everyone at the tables around me laughed at how huge they were. Here it seems like no one bats an eye at large portions. My sister in law had to take almost half of her 4 egg omelet home.

I had something called Suspicious Minds which is bacon encrusted French toast, filled with bananas and peanut butter mousse. I couldn't really taste the peanut butter and there were a few fatty bits in the bacon. The side of bacon we got for the table confirmed that the bacon was just okay. My partner couldn't find the cheesecake that was allegedly in his blueberry pancakes, they were tasty nonetheless.

We went on Wednesday morning and got the only open table, I can imagine that it's packed on weekends. however, being from NJ, we're used to hour long waits at the best breakfast places. if you don't like waiting, stay away on the weekends. There is a parking lot next door but its for church use only on Sundays.

This place is definitely a winner, I think they need to reduce the portion sizes and raise the quality of the ingredients (just a bit). The menu is also ridiculously large, they could chop it in half and still please everyone who walks in the door. Plus the time it takes to read the menu probably contributes to the long waits for a table. Like others have said, they allow no substitutions or changes to the menu items--maybe they're trying to keep things easy for the cooks or reduce waitress error? The whacky names of the menu items are also silly and unnecessary and have nothing to do with the actual food. Nevertheless, I can't wait to go back and try the strawberry French toast with basil and goat cheese. just don't ask me what it's called.

Visited August 2013
“Tomcat has the most amazing breakfast and very creative food pairings!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My BF and I eat here at least once or twice a month. My favorite is Mr. Mojo risin' (HUGE omelette with ham, potatoes, onions and American cheese). My BF's favorite is Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Cornbread topped with 2 over eggs, Boar’s Head chorizo & roasted poblano peppers finished with a Sriracha cream sauce & avocado fan. Served with home fries & a side of pico de gallo & sour cream). They have so many different types of French Toast, there really is something for everyone here. I'd highly recommend Tomcat Cafe, for the price, the amount of food you get and the atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Wow! Extensive breakfast menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

We searched for a breakfast place while in Reading. Tomcat Cafe kept coming up as the place to go. Make sure you review the extensive menu on line so you have some idea of what to order. The menu choices are endless. And go with an appetite. Almost everyone leaving had large take home containers. If you're a local, you can easily get 2-3 meals out of a single order. Since we were staying in a hotel, we ordered one of the specials and a side of eggs and shared them. We would definitely go back. It's fun to just sit and watch the meals come out of the kitchen. It's the first time we've ever seen pancakes a foot in diameter! The employees were very friendly. Will definitely go back if ever in the area again.

• Visited August 2013