“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
NJ
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

WOW! Didn't expect this good a dining experience in an out of the way place. Dined at Peter's on a recommendation, but really didn't expect it to be this good. The service was great, the food was great, and the prices were super reasonable. They use fresh ingredients from their on site garden. They also bake their own dinner rolls. One of my favorite things is they offer gluten free pasta and bread if they have it. Just ask when making a reservation, which are highly recommended. They give you enough food that you WILL NOT leave hungry. The owner is all over the place, and making sure everyone is thoroughly enjoying themselves. The menu is a little small, but everything looked very good. I had the Linguine alla Frutti
di Mare, and my wife had the Pasta Vegetarian. We also shared the Caprese. I had a generous portion of seafood with mine, and my wife loved hers as well. I would eat here often, if I lived closer. HIGHLY recommend if your within 30-40 minutes.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Total disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I've tried Peter's twice now, and last night will be my final attempt. Not sure how so many here can compare to NYC. Maybe they've never been to NYC. I am FROM NYC, and trust me this doesn't come close.

From the moment we arrived we were pushed to the bar because our reservation was overbooked. First they said the party at our table was leaving, had already paid their bill. Then they came back and said, "they've just ordered dessert." It would have been fine except the bartender was too busy on his cell phone to give my husband a beer. No smile, no greeting. It was flat out rude.

The restaurant is small and crowded because its crammed with tables, so the servers can barely get between the chairs, and anyone who wants to get to their seat has to ask others to move, or someone ends up with a butt in their face. If they weren't trying to move so many people through, it would be a far more pleasant setting.

The acoustics are awful and it felt like everyone was yelling to be heard. I like a lively atmosphere, but this was downright noisy, and once a large party was seated next to us about 20 minutes into the meal, forget about it. It was LOUD. Not our idea of an upscale, relaxing dinner. Certainly not fine dining.

The menu is excellent and I was looking forward to settling in and enjoying the food. My last visit I had a chicken piccata that had been decent. Last night blue point oysters were on the list of specials, and I love me some blue points. When I slid the first one into my mouth, it was a mouthful of shell fragments; bits and pieces that I couldn't manage. I had to spit it into my napkin. That was rather awful. I tried the second one and managed to spit out only one tiny fragment but eat the oyster. The cocktail sauce tasted like plain ketchup. When the third was another mouthful of shell pieces, I spit that out as well and didn't touch the rest. In NYC, the chefs know how to shuck! Ridiculous that this was the appetizer SPECIAL.

For my meal I got the scampi. Shrimp were cooked well but the sauce had no taste. Couldn't taste any garlic, and the only lemon was the garnish on top. The pasta was perfectly al dente, it just didn't have any flavor despite the sauce it was swimming in. I didn't finish and left the box they wrapped for me on the table. (I am a foodie. It is rare that I leave a lot of food on a plate, especially anything with shrimp and pasta).

My husband's steak was cooked to his request, but it was a $3 steak we could have picked up at Price Chopper. This simply was not a good meal or a good dining experience. We skipped dessert.

I'm not sure why or how so many here rave about this place. Maybe because in Milford/Shohola there is a dire lack of any fine dining. Peter's makes the closest attempt, but IMO they have a lot of work to do, from the attitude of the bartender to a chef who knows how to make food taste good, or at least manage an appetizer special that guests won't nearly choke on.

As we left the restaurant, happy to get outside, we heard music piped through some speakers. It was the first we noticed it, that's how loud the place was inside. It would have been nice to hear that music during the meal.

Won't be fooled into this place again. I'd rather take the 15 minute drive to Lake Wallenpaupak restaurants or Settlers Inn, or dine in town at the Fauchere. Peter's is way overrated, and doesn't hold a candle to even the delis in NYC!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Unquestionably One Of the Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Every dinner at Peter's has been excellent, and last evening was another delight! The restaurant has atmosphere and charm, the "adult beverages" perfect, and it was difficult to choose from the wonderfully appealing appetizers, main courses and desserts. It seems each item on the menu is special in one way or another. I must say a taste of Peter's garlic soup was "over the top" and a must try if you enjoy the smooth garlic flavor in this creamy delight in a bread bowl. I doubt if I can recreate it to its restaurant perfection, but Peter did provide our party with a general idea of the recipe. A visit to this restaurant is a must if you are in the area!!!!

Massapequa, New York
“WOW! Didnt see that caliber meal coming in this small town Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went with a group of 11 for my daughters confirmation. Was hoping for the best based on word of mouth but WOW was it fantastic! Bake clams were PERFECT as were the pasta dishes. Need to get back there soon!

• Visited September 2012
Hawley, Pennsylvania, United States
“Best anywhere around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Food is amazing! Very reasonably priced. Service impeccable.. Drinks are fuller than average. Favorite things on menu: Beef carpaccio & filet tornadoes. Salmon is delicious as well.. Have heard many good things about other selections from friends. Definitely worth the drive. Peter has always come out to greet tables throughout the evening each time I have been there which is another pleasant touch to the dining experience.

• Visited July 2013