“A cozy comfortable getaway with a friendly atmosphere and great food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shippen Place Hotel

You added Shippen Place Hotel to your Saves list
Shippen Place Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   32 E. King Street, Shippensburg, PA 17257   |
Special Offer
Call DIRECT for BEST Rate
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Shippensburg
PA
“A cozy comfortable getaway with a friendly atmosphere and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

I have had many opportunities to visit Shippensburg, PA and have stayed only at the Shippen Place Hotel. That's why I was a very surprised to read the review about the possibility of bed bugs. So, before making my next trip, I took it upon myself to personally speak to the general manager of the facility. He was very kind and understanding of my concern and explained to me that right after the complaint, he immediately brought in a nationally known pest control company to inspect the rooms. The representative inspected several rooms and beds and found NO evidence of the existence of bed bugs nor any evidence that bed bugs were EVER a problem at this facility. I thanked the GM for his time and continued with my plans to stay at the Shippen Place and, as I expected, I didn't regret my decision. I have NEVER had a problem while staying there. I have NEVER had a bad experience. The staff is wonderful -- friendly and attentive. They make you feel that they are happy you are there. The rooms are nicely decorated and larger than some rooms in which I have stayed in "name brand" hotels. The suites are cozy with a separate sitting area. I love the fact that the hotel is right on the main street of Shippensburg. It has a nice "small town" atmosphere with cute little shops to peruse in your free time. As a guest here, you also have access to the local gym if you need to fit in your workout while traveling....

I also want to compliment the Black Horse Tavern. This restaurant is conveniently located right inside the hotel so you don't have to leave the hotel if you don't feel like it. Plus, they offer room service -- not something you can easily find at hotels in this affordable price range. And, the food is FANTASTIC! I have NEVER had a bad meal there. I am from Maryland and love crab cakes and they serve some of the best crab cakes I have ever had! No joke! The bar is relaxing and casual and has several televisions if you're in the mood to watch a football game while you eat. There have even been occassions where I have visited and there was live entertainment, which made for a pleasant evening. I love to eat outside, so when the weather is nice, there is a charming patio with tables with umbrellas where you can eat and relax.

In summary -- great service, comfortable clean rooms, friendly staff, free continental breakfast (with waffles!), in-house restaruant and tavern, great food (esp crab cakes), free parking, access to a gym, affordable price -- I will continue to stay here when I visit Shippensburg and highly recommend it to others!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Savanna, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

I cannot remain silent about the bad review that The Shippen Place Hotel received simply because of an incident that was not the fault of the hotel.

I have stayed there many times and have recommended them 100 times over. I find the staff delightful and they do what they can, within the perimeters of their job titles, to make people feel welcomed and comfortable. There are several employees who have gone above and beyond to help. Most interestingly, they don’t have a huge turnover rate in their staff. That says something about an establishment.

In the manner of the guest that said their room smelled of pot. You actually say it wasn’t your room it was a room next door. When you say “The hotel did call us but I expected at least a room comp-ed for our horrible experience.”, do you mean on your NEXT visit? I don’t know of any hotel that would do that and I travel constantly.

I stayed in a hotel once that was also housing a middle school girls’ softball league. The young ladies took an interest in my teenage son and decided to knock on our door several times in the night waking us up in the process. Granted, pot smoking is a little more serious, but the problem here is: being inconvenienced. The hotel took 10% off our bill. We thought they were being rather generous, considering it wasn’t their fault these kids couldn’t behave. Had we left the hotel, I can assure you that we would have paid a partial fee. Did you pay for your brief stay or did they dismiss your charges? Funny, you don't mention that.

Apparently, you are one of those people who are constantly looking for a freebee and you’ll blame anyone and anything to get it.

What is the matter with people?

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
rainhanson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Everyone was very polite and accomodated all my needs with a smile. Food is supurb. Friendly and attentitive staff always making sure I was happy. The room was very clean. the window had an excellent view of main street. The hotel was really easy to find, not far from the highway. The hotel's location is downtown which allowed for us to walk to local attractions and save on gas. What I liked best was the customer service. Second best is the cleanliness of the entire hotel, including the lobby.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Lansdale, Pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

Worst experience ever! At Shippensburg for Family Weekend to see my daughter who is a Freshman. My husband and I also had our 11 year old with us. When we went back to our room around 10:00, we walked in and the room stunk of Pot. The people next door were having quite a party. The walls were paper thin and the smell filled our room. My son was horrified. We told the girl on duty who informed us a manager was not available. She tried to help but there were no other rooms to put us in. We had to leave an find a room at 11:00 at night. The hotel did call us but I expected at least a room comped for our horrible experience. This was a FAMILY weekend and a treat to stay at a hotel. All they offered us was a discount because it was not their fault! Unbelieveable!!!!! I would NEVER stay there again or advise anyone I know to stay there. Go to Chambersburg only 15 minutes away, cheaper and better beds and no SMELL!!! Customer service..Ship Hotel does not know the meaning of!!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

This hotel was a gem. It was very easy to find, as it was in the center of Shippensburg, on the main street. It provided free parking in the back. The hotel had a wonderful atmosphere. The lobby was beautiful and our room was equally delightful. Behind the hotel was a nice outdoor sitting area where one could purchase foods or drinks from the adjoining restaurant/tavern if desired. The hotel was very quiet and we slept well each of the three nights that we stayed. We definitely had NO BED BUGS!! We saw no bugs of any kind, and we have no bug bites on our bodies. We enjoyed our attractive room, and we plan to stay at this hotel again. We have already recommended it to other family members.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Stroudsburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

I traveled to Shippensburg for Game in University and selected Shippen Place to stay over the weekend. Hotel seemed ok but hard to find. Many of us ended up with a bite and later we found out it was a bed bug. It seems like 8 of our 12 rooms had this problem. I really wish I could have selected some other hotel.

• Stayed August 2009
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

My family and I stayed here one night and returned home with bites on us. We occupied 3 rooms. We didn't stay any place other than Shippenplace. There were seven of us. I've stayed there many times in the past three years and no problems. Spoke with the manager and he had checked one of the room and didn't see any evidence of bugs. According to the internet they are hard to find as they only come out at night. Photos on the net matched our bites exactly. Many hotels are getting these bugs even the posh ones. The manager hasen't bothered to phone me with his last findings or how he handled the problem. Fumigation is the only remedy! Be aware of this possibility if you choose to stay here. Also the BED BUGS like to travel in luggage!

• Stayed June 2009

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!