“Relaxing weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Shippensburg
York, PA
“Relaxing weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The hotel is small but conveniently located in downtown Shippensburg about 5 minutes from the university. It has restaurants and shopping just outside the door. The lobby is traditionally decorated and clean. There is no bellman or valet parking, the parking lot has enough parking for guests and a few overflow. There are at least 3 luggage carts for your convenience. The rooms appear to have been recently updated and renovated. The carpeting in the hallways is lively and colorful without hurting the eyes. The on-site restaurant has a lovely decor with photos of past SU principals and presidents smiling down at patrons. There are built in bookcases filled with all kinds of hardcover books which add color and character to the decor. The food was delicious. My room had two comfortable double beds with lovely white cotton sheets and fluffy pillows. There were flat screen tv, corner desk with office chair, fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and modern bathroom. Things appeared to be clean until I noticed a wad of long black hair on the bathroom floor. I threw it in the trash and notified the front desk on my way out in the morning. The wifi was spotty on Saturday evening, but seemed to pick up speed on Sunday morning. The front desk was always apologetic when I reported the difficulty with the wifi. There is a pc in the lobby for guest use. Overall, I had an excellent experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
woodstock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were looking for a place to stay that wasn't a chain. We came across the Shippen Place, by seeing the sign on Rt. 81 south. We have returned at least half a dozen times. We like the pub that is attached to the hotel. Very convenient if you arrive late and are thirsty and hungry. It is a little hard to find, on your first visit, but well worth the search.

Room Tip: most rooms have street noise- at night- it is in the middle of an active city. You could ask for a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BARRIE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Had a bit of a problem finding this hotel~it's on the main street, but not too well signed. The driveway I swear is about 6 ft wide, so don't attempt this one in your SUV! The surface parking lot is a bit cramped but doable.
The hotel, though, is very nice. My friend made the arrangements for us, and raved about the folks she talked to on the phone.
The front desk clerk when we checked in was very pleasant but not knowledgeable about the area.
The room was lovely, and included a fridge, which was great. The hotel looks to have been renovated recently, and hallways etc are plush and clean.
The room also smelled clean; I've been to SO many non-smoking hotels which reek of smoke. This one does not in any way.
The restaurant was full and unable to accomodate us, but suggested other options down the street (which we did not use).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I selected this place for a one night stay while driving through the area, based on Trip Advisor reviews. I was not disappointed but a few small problems came up. The pros: it has the feel of a boutique hotel in a large city, with a welcoming, modern lobby, right on the main street of the town. There is ample free parking out back. The rooms were large and exceptionally clean with nice decor. The price was right. The bar and restaurant were excellent, but it is not open for breakfast. A few steps down the street is a good diner, though. On a Sunday night, with few if any other patrons dining, my sister and I enjoyed the sight of Amish horsecarts (not the black boxes, these were "convertibles" for stepping out) flying switftly by the restaurant windows, which overlook the main street.
The cons: At check-in, I asked the desk clerk if the rooms stocked lotion (my face and head were peeling from a week-long stay on the Outer Banks) and she assured me they were. However, only the barest of toiletries were found: a skinny bar of soap and a small vial of shampoo. I checked with my sister in another room and she was similarly under-supplied. The next morning, on checking out, I asked the other desk clerk if I could have some lotion, and was told that they do not have any. Admittedly, a venial sin, but more significant was the constant noise from the ventilation/heating/cooling system vent in the bathroom. It sounded like the engine on a diesel submarine and I had to close the door all night to avoid it. Thirdly, my room had a connecting door to another room, one inhabited by strangers. I heard their voices and the TV despite my piling extra pillows against it to mitigate the noise. Also, my room (403) overlooked the street and this being US Route 11, the truck noise started early.

Overall, this was a good alternative to the econobox chain motels found around all Interstate exits. It had a lot of charm and showed pride of ownership you won't find elsewhere. Just be careful to select your room and bring your own lotion!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street could be noisy in the AM. Avoid a connecting door to another room unles...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arrived in Shippensburg late in the evening, so when we called into Shippen Place downtown last minute, we were expecting it to be much more expensive than it was.
And when we'd paid the nice lady at the desk and gone to our room, we were pleased to find it was clean, comfy and correct. Even the bar downstairs is lively, reasonably priced and has great beer.
Can't fault it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were on our way to the skyline drive/blue ridge pkwy, needed a place ot stay for a night. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and I'm glad i did. The room was very clean, Bobby at the front desk was great and we had sandwiches at the lounge in the hotel. The breakfast was adequate and the area was very clean. Our bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well maintained!! If we were ever back in that area, we would definately stay again!!!

Room Tip: Parking is behind the hotel in their own lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. We had 2 TVs and a kitchenette in our suite with a pull out couch. The bar was fun late night and the breakfast was adequate....typical continental. The location is convenient to the university and the downtown area. For the price, it can not be beat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!