“Unique Hotel in Unique town” 4 of 5 stars

Shippen Place Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   32 E. King Street, Shippensburg, PA 17257   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Shippensburg
BARRIE
“Unique Hotel in Unique town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Had a bit of a problem finding this hotel~it's on the main street, but not too well signed. The driveway I swear is about 6 ft wide, so don't attempt this one in your SUV! The surface parking lot is a bit cramped but doable.
The hotel, though, is very nice. My friend made the arrangements for us, and raved about the folks she talked to on the phone.
The front desk clerk when we checked in was very pleasant but not knowledgeable about the area.
The room was lovely, and included a fridge, which was great. The hotel looks to have been renovated recently, and hallways etc are plush and clean.
The room also smelled clean; I've been to SO many non-smoking hotels which reek of smoke. This one does not in any way.
The restaurant was full and unable to accomodate us, but suggested other options down the street (which we did not use).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

59 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I selected this place for a one night stay while driving through the area, based on Trip Advisor reviews. I was not disappointed but a few small problems came up. The pros: it has the feel of a boutique hotel in a large city, with a welcoming, modern lobby, right on the main street of the town. There is ample free parking out back. The rooms were large and exceptionally clean with nice decor. The price was right. The bar and restaurant were excellent, but it is not open for breakfast. A few steps down the street is a good diner, though. On a Sunday night, with few if any other patrons dining, my sister and I enjoyed the sight of Amish horsecarts (not the black boxes, these were "convertibles" for stepping out) flying switftly by the restaurant windows, which overlook the main street.
The cons: At check-in, I asked the desk clerk if the rooms stocked lotion (my face and head were peeling from a week-long stay on the Outer Banks) and she assured me they were. However, only the barest of toiletries were found: a skinny bar of soap and a small vial of shampoo. I checked with my sister in another room and she was similarly under-supplied. The next morning, on checking out, I asked the other desk clerk if I could have some lotion, and was told that they do not have any. Admittedly, a venial sin, but more significant was the constant noise from the ventilation/heating/cooling system vent in the bathroom. It sounded like the engine on a diesel submarine and I had to close the door all night to avoid it. Thirdly, my room had a connecting door to another room, one inhabited by strangers. I heard their voices and the TV despite my piling extra pillows against it to mitigate the noise. Also, my room (403) overlooked the street and this being US Route 11, the truck noise started early.

Overall, this was a good alternative to the econobox chain motels found around all Interstate exits. It had a lot of charm and showed pride of ownership you won't find elsewhere. Just be careful to select your room and bring your own lotion!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the street could be noisy in the AM. Avoid a connecting door to another room unles...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We arrived in Shippensburg late in the evening, so when we called into Shippen Place downtown last minute, we were expecting it to be much more expensive than it was.
And when we'd paid the nice lady at the desk and gone to our room, we were pleased to find it was clean, comfy and correct. Even the bar downstairs is lively, reasonably priced and has great beer.
Can't fault it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were on our way to the skyline drive/blue ridge pkwy, needed a place ot stay for a night. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and I'm glad i did. The room was very clean, Bobby at the front desk was great and we had sandwiches at the lounge in the hotel. The breakfast was adequate and the area was very clean. Our bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well maintained!! If we were ever back in that area, we would definately stay again!!!

Room Tip: Parking is behind the hotel in their own lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. We had 2 TVs and a kitchenette in our suite with a pull out couch. The bar was fun late night and the breakfast was adequate....typical continental. The location is convenient to the university and the downtown area. For the price, it can not be beat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tannersville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here for one night---very clean and very friendly staff. Restaurant was a little pricey--but food was very good. Very quaint, not much to do in walking distance. Very nice that there was a continental breakfast available free. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Shippen Place MANY times over the past years, as we have friends and family in the area. The staff have always been polite and welcoming. They have undergone new management and a huge refurbishment this past year, so it's all looking very fresh. There are 3 kinds of dining, the bar, the patio in good weather, and the inside restaurant, and the food is of a high standard. This year we had friends come to visit us and also other family stayed there for a wedding, and they ALL said what a great place it was to stay. The buffet complimentary breakfast is more than enough for most people, hot waffles if you want them and good coffee. The lobby is always welcoming and a great place to wait for or visit with friends. They do hire local university students at the desk, so you have to be a little patient with some of them as they are training, but nothing wrong with that. It is also a popular place for small conferences and many of the people I saw there for that reason, all seemed pretty happy with it. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!