“"Well worth it"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Shippensburg
Danvers, Massachusetts
“"Well worth it"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were on our way to the skyline drive/blue ridge pkwy, needed a place ot stay for a night. I read the reviews on tripadvisor and I'm glad i did. The room was very clean, Bobby at the front desk was great and we had sandwiches at the lounge in the hotel. The breakfast was adequate and the area was very clean. Our bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean and well maintained!! If we were ever back in that area, we would definately stay again!!!

Room Tip: Parking is behind the hotel in their own lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our room was clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. We had 2 TVs and a kitchenette in our suite with a pull out couch. The bar was fun late night and the breakfast was adequate....typical continental. The location is convenient to the university and the downtown area. For the price, it can not be beat!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tannersville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed here for one night---very clean and very friendly staff. Restaurant was a little pricey--but food was very good. Very quaint, not much to do in walking distance. Very nice that there was a continental breakfast available free. Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Shippen Place MANY times over the past years, as we have friends and family in the area. The staff have always been polite and welcoming. They have undergone new management and a huge refurbishment this past year, so it's all looking very fresh. There are 3 kinds of dining, the bar, the patio in good weather, and the inside restaurant, and the food is of a high standard. This year we had friends come to visit us and also other family stayed there for a wedding, and they ALL said what a great place it was to stay. The buffet complimentary breakfast is more than enough for most people, hot waffles if you want them and good coffee. The lobby is always welcoming and a great place to wait for or visit with friends. They do hire local university students at the desk, so you have to be a little patient with some of them as they are training, but nothing wrong with that. It is also a popular place for small conferences and many of the people I saw there for that reason, all seemed pretty happy with it. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I recently stayed at the Shippen Place Hotel when I was in Shippensburg for a business meeting. After reading the most recent reviews on TA, I had reservations (no pun intended) about staying here. I went ahead with my stay because of the hotels location and that it was recommend by the meeting organizers.

When I checked in, after having a little trouble finding the hotel parking lot (it is down what looks like an alley from Main Street), the lobby was a bit worn, but looked clean. The front desk staff was professional, but detached. I was checked into my room quickly, but the registration process was not flexible. The person in front of me wanted to change credit cards, and that seemed to be an issue for the staff member.

Once you get to the guest floor, it is clear that a renovation has been done to some of the spaces. The carpet in the hall was brand new, but there are still many scuff marks on the doors and walls.

In the room, I was prepared for the worst (based on past reviews). I found the experience to be the opposite. The linens were white and clean (although a bit worn), the mattress was new at the end of last year, and the bathroom was mostly clean. I thoroughly inspected the room for bed bugs and other issues, and did not find any evidence in my room. I did notice some dirt build up around the nightstand (queen-queen room, between the beds), and that that toilet bowl could have been better cleaned under the rim. The shower, however, did not show any signs of mold or mildew, a problem that plagues even top-line hotels.

A plus of the hotel is a free breakfast that included the standard hot make-your-own waffles as well as cold options. Negative, no fitness center, although they do offer passes to a gym down the street.

Even with this positive experience, however, I would consider the hotel to just be average. It is clear that the current owners have addressed some of the issues mentioned here, but the hotel still feels like a tired property that has great potential (especially in a university town that has visiting faculty and speakers).

Room Tip: On a busy night in the bar, I would want a room facing Main Street. I could see the bar patio being...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Houthalen, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

This place is really dirty and old.

The shower was so filthy that I went to buy slippers. I was affraid to touch anything, disgusting.
The tildes in the shower were also coming loose, so perfect for bacteria...

There was à disgusting old floor carpet, old and not fresh.

Staff was all but helpfull.

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Beaver, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We waited at the front desk for someone to wait on us for what seemed like a few minutes when we knew personnel were in the adjoining room behind desk. Seems the front desk clerk was eating and didn't realize we were waiting! When we walked into our room I found ketschup on the walls, dirt on the sink top splash and so I took a washcloth and began cleaning. I took the washcloth down to the clerk and told them the room was dirty. The owner would not do anything for us. We made due but would have appreciated a cleaner room. Also found red spot on pillow. One night it seemed the airconditioner was stuck on one temperature for the whole floor and it was freezing!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!