“Updated Surprise” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Shippensburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Updated Surprise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I recently stayed at the Shippen Place Hotel when I was in Shippensburg for a business meeting. After reading the most recent reviews on TA, I had reservations (no pun intended) about staying here. I went ahead with my stay because of the hotels location and that it was recommend by the meeting organizers.

When I checked in, after having a little trouble finding the hotel parking lot (it is down what looks like an alley from Main Street), the lobby was a bit worn, but looked clean. The front desk staff was professional, but detached. I was checked into my room quickly, but the registration process was not flexible. The person in front of me wanted to change credit cards, and that seemed to be an issue for the staff member.

Once you get to the guest floor, it is clear that a renovation has been done to some of the spaces. The carpet in the hall was brand new, but there are still many scuff marks on the doors and walls.

In the room, I was prepared for the worst (based on past reviews). I found the experience to be the opposite. The linens were white and clean (although a bit worn), the mattress was new at the end of last year, and the bathroom was mostly clean. I thoroughly inspected the room for bed bugs and other issues, and did not find any evidence in my room. I did notice some dirt build up around the nightstand (queen-queen room, between the beds), and that that toilet bowl could have been better cleaned under the rim. The shower, however, did not show any signs of mold or mildew, a problem that plagues even top-line hotels.

A plus of the hotel is a free breakfast that included the standard hot make-your-own waffles as well as cold options. Negative, no fitness center, although they do offer passes to a gym down the street.

Even with this positive experience, however, I would consider the hotel to just be average. It is clear that the current owners have addressed some of the issues mentioned here, but the hotel still feels like a tired property that has great potential (especially in a university town that has visiting faculty and speakers).

Room Tip: On a busy night in the bar, I would want a room facing Main Street. I could see the bar patio being...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Houthalen, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

This place is really dirty and old.

The shower was so filthy that I went to buy slippers. I was affraid to touch anything, disgusting.
The tildes in the shower were also coming loose, so perfect for bacteria...

There was à disgusting old floor carpet, old and not fresh.

Staff was all but helpfull.

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Beaver, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We waited at the front desk for someone to wait on us for what seemed like a few minutes when we knew personnel were in the adjoining room behind desk. Seems the front desk clerk was eating and didn't realize we were waiting! When we walked into our room I found ketschup on the walls, dirt on the sink top splash and so I took a washcloth and began cleaning. I took the washcloth down to the clerk and told them the room was dirty. The owner would not do anything for us. We made due but would have appreciated a cleaner room. Also found red spot on pillow. One night it seemed the airconditioner was stuck on one temperature for the whole floor and it was freezing!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
The Villages, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

My wife and I had stopped there for lunch 2 years ago and were so impressed with the facility we routed our trip to spend a night at the Shippen Place in July 2011. Suite was $99. Accomodations were great. The food in the hotel dining room (The University Grill) were excellent. The best onion soup I have ever had. The calimari was lightly battered and cooked just right. The accompaning fresh marinara sauce ranks with the best. The service personnel throughout the establishment were top notch. An aside - we were told that LaQuinta is buying the place. I hope they don't mess with the restaurant. We will be back.

Room Tip: Suites have a jacuzzi (not a big one)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

we stayed here for a night on the way north.
good - dinner/burger was okay, sweet potato fries blah, complimentary breakfast was excellent, room was large, clean, comfy
bad - room key wouldn't work, had to go down a couple of times to get the key programmed, music from the bar was heard in our room, had to move a sleeping child and all our stuff. arg., both rooms had terrible mildew around tub

then we stayed again on our way south
good - familiar, safe, comfy, clean, quiet
bad - restaurant closed on sundays, desk clerk sent us on goose chase to a walkable restaurant also closed, ended up ordering pizza delivery - paid extra for the order and they got it wrong, and it tasted awful; mildew on tub, so few guests in hotel that they didn't serve any breakfast!!!!!! this is not acceptable, especially with a child; then we ate snacks in the room as breakfast just to have the maintenance WALK IN, why??? he had a work order for something - i asked him to leave until we check out.
ARGGGGGGGGGGGGG

comments to owner - use tilex!!!!, hire people who have half a clue, keep your promises (for complimentary breakfast), keep strange men OUT of rooms with women and children - we didn't call maintenance, he should NOT come in

fix these issues for a better rating

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

A very nice hotel. Parking in rear of hotel. Employees were happy to assist. Restaurant dining was very nice. Food was great as was our service. The continental breakfast was superb. clean, Sherry the hostess was wonderful. Plenty of fruit, breads, muffins, cereal hot/cold, tea, coffee, juices, make your own...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
North Wales, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

A very nice hotel in the center of town. Convenient. Parking in rear of hotel. Employees were happy to assist. Restaurant dining was very nice. Food was great as was our service. The continental breakfast was superb. Breakfast area was inviting, clean, Sherry the hostess was wonderful. Plenty of fruit, breads, muffins, cereal hot/cold, tea, coffee, juices, make your own waffles! Did not feel rushed what so ever. All the food was displayed very nice. We came down for breakfast 10 minutes before serving time was to conclude, but everything was still plentiful, clean, and appetitzing. My daughter for prep school and college played ice hockey and had been to many hotels over the course of her ice hockey career. She stated this was the best continental breakfast she had scene. Many hotels never replenish, have under par food and clean up 20 minutes before ending time which was a problem for the ice hockey players in the morning. Kudos and 5 stars to The Shippen Place Hotel!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Shippen Place Hotel? Share your experiences!