I'm giving the Shawnee 4 stars, not because it's perfect (there are shabby areas of carpet, some walls and woodwork need painting, the hot tub needs attention, stuff like that) but because our overall experience during our two-night stay was more than satisfactory and worthy of note, First, we got a great rate through SniqueAway. The buildings are beautiful, the grounds peaceful, the view of the river soothing, the history of the place a revelation. We arrived the Sunday of hurricane Sandy to an almost empty hotel, had a great lunch at the tavern near the grounds entrance (really good beer, too, made onsite) were greeted by a most-gracious desk staff, and had a gorgeous room. When the storm hit on Monday, we were on the wrap around porch in rockers, wrapped in rain gear, sipping Grand Marnier, and watching the rain sheet across the river. Went for a swim (wait until you see the pool! It's huge--10 ft. deep and indoors!) and before you know it.....power failures. Most notably in the elevator. The staff was so solicitous; the manager rode up with us, offered us a 1st floor room, and when we declined, provided flashlights and said to call the desk if we needed an escort down the stairs. We planned to eat in the hotel restaurant, but then the lights blew for good during cocktails in the bar. Everyone was calm, knew just what to do, professional. In short order, someone from the kitchen apologetically offered guests a sandwich/salad meal (actually quite good) , which arrived with linens, silverware, the good glasses and a courteous waiter. We ate in the bar, other guests ate around the lobby fireplace.No need to apologize for that in my opinion. We had a lovely, if dark evening, and were actually sad to leave on Tuesday morning. Nice place, really nice folks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Resort in the Pocono Mountains - Discover the historic Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, a unique destination for golf, skiing, vacations and meetings. Located only 75 miles from New York City in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, the resort is set amidst the splendor of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Championship golf, breathtaking views, and some of the finest dining in the Pocono Mountains are only a small part of the Shawnee experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shawnee Inn And Golf Resort
- Shawnee Inn & Golf Hotel Shawnee On Delaware
- Shawnee Hotel On Delaware