“Quiet Get~Away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ridge Top Village at Shawnee

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shawnee on Delaware
Ridge Top Village at Shawnee
You added Ridge Top Village at Shawnee to your Saves list
River Road, Shawnee on Delaware, PA 18356   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Quiet Get~Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

Check~in was a breeze..We stayed at The Ridge~Top Village Unit #50..I liked the open floor plan..{kitchen, dinning area & living room} I was delighted to see that we had a washer & dryer in our unit...There was lots a natural sun light, since there were 3 windows in every room except for the bathrooms....It's very conveniet having 3 bathrooms..Although the "water~pressure" in the showers is horrible..We definately enjoyed having the jacuzzi{ a real hot~tub, NOT that red~thing, I saw others having in there units.. some kind of weird~red~tub}
I was a little dissapioted to find~out that the outside pool had "closed" a week before we got there...It was in the 80's & swimming at the pool indoors, just was very appealing when it's 80 plus degrees outside...It would have been nice to have had some kind of radio or cd player in the unit...It was very quiet & peaceful..This place could accommodate 3 couples comfortablely..

• Liked — Open floor~plan
  • Disliked — Outside pool was "closed"
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

We stayed here for our April vacation with the kids.We stayed in unit RT 171.Beautiful!!!!

Very roomy and very clean.Had everything we needed.The screened in porch was awesome! No bugs getting me at night.
Lots of nature out there.This is one timeshare exchange i am very happy with.

Lots of activities to do as a family there and alone as a couple.Mini golf was great and the pool was awesome!
We will be back again! the whole family had a blast.

Great staff also! Great job Shawnee!

• Liked — how beautiful and clean it was
  • Disliked — beds stink
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

Our family just returned from our winter vacation at Ridge Top Village at Shawnee, February 17-February 21st, 2008.

Last summer I received a promotion through Interval International (our timeshare exchange company) so I selected Shawnee as an inexpensive getaway where our 16 year-old daughter could go snowboarding with her cousin at nearby Shawnee Mtn and my husband and I could take our son (who has autism) swimming at the pool. We generally don't take a vacation in February as winter travel can be a hassle here in the northeast. Plus, my husband uses his vacation days for us to have one "couple" vacation and one "family" vacation a year. We felt that this would be a place I could stay with the children while he made the commute to/from Shawnee as needed. (He said this worked out easily, as he works "nights" and the traffic was light. It didn't take him any longer to commute than it would from home.) So, as you can imagine, I didn't have great expectations about this place and just hoped that it would be a little getaway for my children (even though we had the whole week available to us for $300).

Directions from NYC or Long Island--
Shawnee was extremely easy to get to from our home on Long Island. We took the Throgs Neck to GWB onto I-80 west all the way to Delaware Water Gap and it was Exit 309 (Route 209, Marshalls Creek). We just had to make a right at that exit and then a right at the second light onto Buttermilk Falls Road. There's a Shawnee Welcome Building on your left, but don't stop there. Go up the hill and then you'll see a sign for Check-In; second left. Traveling time was just over 2 hours for us from Suffolk County. I think it would be just over an hour from the city. We quickly checked in. This building is new and is THE place you can access your wireless while at Shawnee (This is a big drawback for my family, as we all love our laptops...but hey, maybe it's a good thing to be "disconnected" for a few days and get away from it all. That's up to you to decide. The good news for us was having the ability to go to this building to check in with our emails once a day or so. My 16 year-old did miss IMing her friends though!!)

The Check-In building also doubles as the Recreation Center. There is a cute mini-golf course out front and a standard-size outdoor pool behind it. My son mentioned that he wanted to come back in the summer so he'd be able to play outside there, too. There is a large indoor pool area.The room itself is very warm, which makes up for the chilly water in the pool, I guess, in the eyes of kids who are made of tougher stuff than us. I did enjoy the spa (nice and hot!!)-- which can accommodate up to 12 adults-- while I watched my husband and son play in the pool. I was also able to access my email on my laptop from the spa part of the room. Yes, there were outlets too. There are separate men's and women's locker rooms with changing areas, lockers (you'll need to bring your own lock if you plan to leave any valuables in here), toilets/sinks and 4-5 shower stalls. You don't need to bring your own towels. Just go to the desk outside the pool area room and they'll give you however many you request. We didn't see a bin for used towels...just a "trash" and "lost and found" bin near the door. Most people just left their towels on a table or stacked them on chairs. There was at least 1 lifeguard there at all times, sometimes 2-3. Pool toys aren't allowed but they do have life-vests available for little ones as needed. Security walked through a few times while we were there as well. One part of the pool is very sloped and shallow while the other part goes from 3-4 ft. deep. No diving allowed but okay for kids to jump in. I found the pool area to be comfortable (if a little echo-y) and didn't mind staying there as long as my son wanted to play there. Lots of chlorine so you may wish to bring goggles if your little one has sensitive eyes. (Don't wear your best bathing suit either; I think my son's suit lightened up considerably after swimming there for a few days.)

Outside the pool room....
There are 2 air hockey and 2 billiards tables in a smallish game room with a few assorted video games. There's a separate arcade room with a number of "racing" kinds of games, such as motorcycle, car, and even a skateboarding one. In the small general area where the "activities" desk is located, you will find a few small tables where you can sit to eat snacks from the adjoining snack bar (lots of greasy food and some ice cream bars to choose from) while you watch the kids in the gym (through glass) or in the arcade room. Personally, I enjoyed playing PacMan at a 2-person table game with my husband and son. It brought back some memories...unfortunately I've lost my touch when it comes to video games. But, it was fun to show our son games we liked to play as kids. There were two change machines there to give you quarters for your buck. Both worked. Our daughter and her cousin had a fun time playing air hockey and a bunch of the arcade games the day we arrived.

I cannot tell you if the snack bar food was any good. Saw some people buying hot dogs, french fries and onion rings. I think it was mostly frozen foods that were quickly cooked by deep frying. My son liked to select a different ice cream each day. The ice creams ranged in price from $1.25-$2.00. The people working in the recreation/check-in center were all friendly and helpful. Didn't have any problems there.

I didn't see any movies at the Recreation Center but my husband said he watched a good movie while waiting for me to arrive that first day. They'll give you Weekly Activity list of contests or activities that your family may wish to participate in. Unfortunately for us, our son generally feels uncomfortable around "strangers" and isn't athletically inclined (outside of swimming) so we couldn't take advantage of those activities. It did seem that a number of the kids there enjoyed the basketball three-on-three games and billiards contests etc. You do have to sign up for some of the activities by calling the recreation center or at the desk.

Ridge Top Unit #45
Interestingly, our Ridge Top unit #45 was part of a three-unit condo and the two units on either side of our unit were called "valley view". We're not sure why. If you are travelling to Shawnee in warmer months, you may not want unit #45 as it has no porch!! Apparently, not all units in Ridge Top have porches, and I believe (from other traveler reviews) that the quality of units depends greatly on whether it's been renovated or not. If you don't care about a porch, you may like unit #45. It's located just up the hill from the Recreation Center. Definitely within walking distance if you are healthy and don't have little ones in strollers (I think the hill may be a bit steep for that adventure!) The beds were comfortable (firm) and linens clean. Kitchen was functional although it's been awhile since I've used a stove with coil burners....Bring dish liquid and dishwasher detergent if you plan on cooking while there. They give you a scubby pad but no soap. I winged it and washed all dishes, silverware, etc in the dishwasher, but had to re-run some of the pots and pans through since I didn't hand wash them. I don't have any complaints about the kitchen. You may want to bring cups if you have little ones, as the glass cups break easily. Our son broke a small glass the first evening when he knocked the glass over and it hit the ceramic plate. There is a bottle and cork opener provided so I didn't need to have brought mine. The dining room has seating for 8. Floor is linoleum, lighting fixtures are "builders special", molding is stained but un-polyurethaned and counter tops are laminated(bathrooms) or tiled(in kitchen). You'll not find The Ritz amenities here. That being said, it was acceptably clean (I would personally never bring a toddler to stay here, but that's me...) and a vacuum cleaner and washer/dryer helped us make it through our vacation with minimal cleanliness issues.

I was really looking forward to the cozy fireplace and was pleased to have one, instead of a wood stove (as I understand some units have). We brought our own firewood, kindling, newspaper and matches. They did have firewood available there for only $1 more a bundle than we paid at home. As we have a propane fireplace at home, this was a lot more work but it was fun for the few days we were there. I was surprised how quickly wood burns though!! If you don't want to bother with the fireplace there is certainly adequate warmth from your electric thermostat. The living room was cozy. Furniture was old. I thought the two couches were pretty comfortable. The one chair in the room was best used as an ottoman. Very uncomfortable. We did spend a number of hours watching DVDs together as part of our little getaway. There was a VHS/DVD/CDRom setup with a decent size tv. But, I would love for them to invest in an LCD flat screen tv and put it on that back wall, which would be perfect for it. (Just would need to get rid of one windoow!) This would definitely have added to our vacation experience.

As for the bathrooms, we were surprised to find an "interesting" red, deep tub with seating for one downstairs. I guess the idea is to soak away all your aches after a long day of skiing. Our son liked it and had to try it out the first night. He could almost dive in there. My husband feels that so much more could have been done with that space. A nice regular tub or hot tub for two, perhaps...I understand that the Summit units possibly have been renovated to include jacuzzi tubs downstairs. There is a toilet, sink and shower stall downstairs too. That would be convenient if you have three couples going skiing for a getaway and one couple uses the downstairs one while sleeping on the pullout sofa bed. I thought it was a nice touch to have little heaters in the bathrooms that you can turn on while showering...in case the room is a bit too chilly.

Upstairs, there's a bedroom with two double beds, a dresser, tv and a huge closet. That room has a bathroom with sink, toilet, shower stall. The master bedroom has a queen bed, two nightstands with lamps, an overhead light, small closet with ironing board and iron, dresser and tv. Master bath is pretty much same size or slightly larger than the other bath. Nothing fancy here. Same amenities.

Our daughter and nephew really enjoyed the snowboarding experience. My husband drove them there two of the days, 10 minutes each way.They said it was better than at Camelback, which we did a number of years ago. They said there were lots of options for trails and levels of difficulty. They didn't have the best of conditions, warm and mushy on Monday then lots of ice on Tuesday but still loved it and say they'd do it again. If we skiied as a family, this would probably would be a place that we would visit again and again. As our son doesn't care for the cold and has poor motor skills and my husband doesn't ski, this limits our options for a winter vacation at a ski villa. We made the best of it though. There's a Walmart nearby, a nice Pocono Candle shop in East Stroudsburg, local movie theaters and even a bowling alley. My husband and I enjoyed getting a break one early evening and going alone to the candle shop. It had lots of stuff, and we liked browsing around together, just the two of us. Honestly, one of my favorite parts of the trip, I also enjoyed bowling with the kids in East Stroudburg, just across from Mr. Z's, can't miss it--no bumpers but still lots of fun. Just remember you're in PA and smoking is allowed in public places. That surprised my daughter, who just assumed that all states had outlawed public smoking, like in NY.

I bet there are a lot of choices of activities in summer, although I imagine that there may also be a lot of insects, too!! I don't think I'll plan to return in the summer though as we have a pool in our backyard and so many beaches/things to do here on Long Island--with the comforts of home for our son. I don't think there would be enough to keep him interested/busy for more than a weekend or so.

I'll attach some photos of the unit and our vacation. I hope that you find my review helpful. Happy travels!

• Liked — Snowboarding, quiet
  • Disliked — Not enough activities for extended stay
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

This Ridge Top has lots of options, but we stayed at the Ridge Top Summit, at the top of the mountain. I'm pretty sure these are the newer units and I have no complaints. It was pretty roomy and the furniture and decor were all in great shape. There was a master with a king bed and the other bedroom had 2 double beds. The downstairs had a kitchen, dining area and living area. It does provide a gas fireplace which I loved because all you had to do is push a button. If you're a purist like my husband, you probably would rather have the wood burning fireplace.

As for location, you're only about 10-15 mins from the Shawnee Ski Resort and about 30-35 mins. from Camelback via Interstate. There were plenty of restaurants on the main drag to choose from.

Here's the negatives. If you're at the Ridge Top Summit, you have the newer and nicer buildings, but you're the farthest from the main building, i.e. pool, game room, etc. We didn't venture over to the pool at all so we wouldn't have to take the kids out in the cold for the 5 mins. drive back to our place. Also the majority of villas I've stayed at had a jacuzzi or whirlpool tub as part of the Master Bath. Here, the master bath is just a shower. There is a large whirlpool tub, but it's in the secondary bathroom, which theoretically goes with the 2nd bedroom. Weird. Also, it would be nice if there was a hot tub, but I can live without that.

I've read some poor reviews of Ridge Top Village and I have to say, those units looked pretty worn from the outside. BUT, if you get the Ridge Top Summit, I think you'll be happy.

• Liked — It was newer.
  • Disliked — The distance away from the activity center and lack of whirlpool in the master bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
putnam,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

As some of the others noted I also went to this resort expecting to clean and was pleasantly surprised by the condition of my unit. Don't expect the Waldorf but as far as ski condo's go this one was better than average. I stayed at an older unit the furniture was showing some signs of age but everything worked fine it was exactly what I would expect at any other resort geared for outdoor activities. I have a 3 year old and he loved the rec center which was great for the young ones( if I were to grade just the rec center and the employees this review would have been a 5) but, the ski area is on the small side. Shawnee mountain was (clean and friendly ) But definately will not keep a good skier entertained for a week long trip. The mountain is great for younger kids and novice skiers experts stay away. The Golf course looked nice even though it was winter and closed the course was completely visable and some of the locals spoke it up. If your into caviar and champagne there are many other resorts you can goto that will serve your every need(for a price), but, if you want a reasonably priced long weekend or mid week stay at a comfortable easy to find resort with friendly service this place is for you. PS I was given a pass to recieve disounted lift tickets which saved 30% off any lift price you can't beat it for value $28 lift tickets are a rarity. Have fun I'll see you next year.

• Liked — Value and location
  • Disliked — More of a 3-4 day getaway not worthy of spending a full week.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2007

Every fall we pick a weekend to visit Pocono to watch the foliage. This year we select the Lumberjack and Balloon Festival weekend. It was a lot of fun. The one hour and fifteen minutes drive from Bergen County New Jersey to the resort is a little hectic on Friday night. The check-in was very easy. We got our unit keys right away. The front desk attendant was extremely friendly.

Our two level unit was very big. It is in a woodsy area. The unit is clean and comfortable. The living area is large with TV, fireplace and sofa bed. The fully equipped kitchen has with full size refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave, toaster and blender. It also has all the pots, pans, plates, bowls and utensil you will need to fix a good meal. The supermarket is about five miles away. The dining area has sitting for eight. There is full size washer and dryer in the unit. There is a half bath downstairs. The balcony is screened in and very large with two lounge chairs. The upstairs master bedroom has queen bed, TV and own shower. The second bedroom has two queen beds and TV. The main bathroom has Jacuzzi, shower and large vanity. There is a total of two and a half bath in this unit. Strangely, there is a lot of soap but no shampoo in the unit.

The resort offer activities for kids and adult everyday. Most of the activities are in the recreation area. The activities included Karaoke with wine, beer and cheese, kids craft, poker games, movie night, vineyard tours. There is a very large indoor pool and two outdoor pools. There is large game room and gym. A small library, miniature golf, two large golf courses, tennis court, basketball court, a river, water fall and endless trail for hiking. There is also a country store, a playhouse and playground for kids. You will not be bored anytime of the year. There is also skiing, snowboarding and tubing in the winter.

During our stay this weekend in October, the leaves are just turning and it is beautiful. The balloon and lumberjack festival was a lot of fun. We also went to the river. It is very quiet this time of the year at the river. Still a lot of people were kayaking down the Delaware. We went to Bushskill Falls which was great fun. One day we were at the Crossing Outlet. The prices are much cheaper than New Jersey or New York. Our favorite restaurant Barley Creek and Brew House has the best beer and food is around the corner from the outlet. Down the road is a Pay and Fish pond which just gets rebuilt with two new ponds. The fish catch too easily and expensively for us but the kids has a lot of fun. We also cooked out catch in our unit.

We come back to the Pocono every year because it is just so easy to get to from New Jersey and so much to do. We have stayed in many resorts in the Pocono including, Treetop and Fairway Villas, Split Rock Resort, Quail, Tanglwood Resort and a few I can’t remember the name. Shawnee and Tanglwood Resort is the two that I will return to. If you like a big lake and water sports, Tanglwood is a good one to go to. They also renovated their units very nicely.

• Liked — The size of unit
  • Disliked — No shampoo in the unit
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ridge Top Village at Shawnee? Share your experiences!