“Great waterpark but that's about it” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Great Wolf Drive, Scotrun, PA 18355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
NY
“Great waterpark but that's about it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I guess they can get away with subpar service and food because of how great the waterpark is. Spent two nights - 8 year old enjoyed the waterpark and the Magi Quest game most. Duck pin bowling and mini golf were just ok - only a few lanes but we didn't have to wait. A lot of the activities (like the story time) seemed better for younger kids.

Reviewing just the hotel is a different story - the buffet food was expensive and really bad, and food that was supposed to be warm was cold. In terms of housekeeping, one day they never came to clean our room, which has never happened to me in years of traveling and this was despite us calling multiple times to ask. When you try to call "Guest Services" don't be surprised if no one ever picks up or there is a constant fast busy signal. The only time there was prompt "service" was the day we were leaving when housekeeping knocked on our door multiple times in half an hour (before and right at checkout time) -- they were very diligence in making sure that we were on our way out. Late checkout policy seems ridiculous - $55 for 2 hours. One other note-- the commenter who mentioned the problem with the sheets for the twin bunk beds was right - they don't stay on and then you are stuck sleeping on the uncomfortable plastic mattress directly - my son didn't even want to sleep on the bunk bed because of this the second night. Bring sheets along with food and drink!!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Little Ferry, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We took our daughter to Great Wolf for her 8th birthday and we had such an incredible time - from the staff, to the accomodations, to the indoor pool area...awesome awesome awesome.

First check-in. We arrived at around 1:00 p.m. and parked outside, walked in and just loved the decor. Very on target for the "Poconos feel" - rustic yet charming and inviting. The check-in staff were very friendly, gave us a full rundown of where the room was vs. the pool area and places to eat, things to do, etc. and answered all our questions. We ordered the birthday package for our daughter and was pleasantly surprised that not only was our room ready at check-in but the Happy Birthday poster and gift bag were all set-up and my daughter was just so excited. We also found out at check-in that we were gifted VIF (Very Important Family) for the day and had the luxury of a pool cabana, basket wtih goodies delivered to the room and a free buffet breakfast in the morning.

Room: Very very comfortable and the family suite was HUGE!! Although too cold to sit outside, I also loved the patio area with table and chairs. Beds were very comfortable and although outside noise from the hallway could not be heard. And most importantly it was CLEAN. Can't tell you how many other places we've stayed and I've been scared to step in the shower.

Food: All you can eat breakfast buffet was delicious. They had everything from pancakes, waffles, cereal, danish, even an omelet station. Since we had the birthday package we could order pizza, but we're not a pizza family so upon request they gave us a voucher instead for the same value of the pizza for whatever else we chose. We all shared a chicken parm hero and roast beef hero and all was great. We still have yet to eat the birthday cake but it looks good. Oh and they make fudge there. To.die.for.

Indoor water park: HUGE. So much to do. The water rides are great. I used to live in a condo and would see lifeguards sort of 'zone out' after some time - I have to imagine it gets boring. But these lifeguards never took their eyes off the pool nor would stand still. Constantly in motion back and forth. Even though life jackets were provided and daughter wore one, it was still very comforting to see all that attentiveness.

Other activities: My daughter was obsessed over the bowling especially. Lots of fun. They also had golf so we played a round of that too along with spending some time in the arcade. We didn't partake in the Magic Quest stuff so I can't comment on that other than I saw tons of kids doing it. It just wasn't something that particularly appealed to my youngster.

In summary: We will DEFINITELY be coming back, sooner than later!! Thank you so much to all the great staff and for making my daughter's 8th birthday such an exciting fun one for us all.

Massapequa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Upon arriving at GWL we were very impressed with how festive it was. They do a great job decorating the Lobby. Check in was easy and quick. Our room was clean and the little sitting area was nice to have. Upon walking down the water park most of the workers were very nice and friendly. We had an absolute blast at the water park. We went during the middle of the week so the park was not packed. Your water park wrist band is also your room key and can be used to purchase snacks/drinks in the park which was nice to have to carry a wallet around. My daughter loved story time in front of the fire place. We had the breakfast buffet the next morning which was very good although a little pricey. We had a great time and will definitely be back. Next time we will have to try the MagiQuest. The only small negative was we were in the back of the hotel and there was a decent amount of noise through the night.

Room Tip: Try and get Top floor so there are no kids running around above you.
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Where to start oh boy:

Pros: our kids loved it and can't wait to go back. The rooms were kid friendly (with bunk beds). The waterpark was fun and ample for the kids. They loved the extra amenities like the bowling alley and mini golf. I felt the prices of food were semi reasonable. Perfect 1 night getaway for the kids and I'm going to stress the kids part. The staff was friendly and helpful no complaints in that department.

Cons: Loud, loud, loud! Sounds like a stampede all day long if you go in the room. They have hibernation rules from 11p-7a thank goodness. The entire place is a big money grab. They have all these other amenities but everything is ala cart. The entire place is setup so you will spend more money. Unless your kids are video game crazy do not waste the money on the magic quest game. My two girls insisted on getting it and lost interest after 10 min. I'm baffled that people could spend more than 1 night in this place. The room was clean but resembled the ball pit smell from Chucky Cheese.

In the end it's all about the kids so I know I'll be going back next year whether I like it or not.

Stayed December 2014
North Bergen, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It was just OK. It is more for small children I would say 5-10 years old. I would not stay more than one or two nights. The water park was ok being that it was winter time, I would not bother in the summer. Some of the staff are great like front some desk and management p, everyone else "No comments." I really enjoyed the Santa and Coca-Cola Polar Bear but they were outside where it was cold. I did not like any of the food and it was expensive for the portions, we spend $60.00 on breakfast and were still hungry after. We tried to go outside just to eat, but there was nothing impressive near by.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Perfect for families rooms clean staff friendly and helpful. Mostly fast food available there is one sit down restaurant but we did not go there. Lots to do right in the area Seems expensive but when you consider water park included and you can use it before your room is ready and till 9 when you check out it is reasonable

• Stayed December 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is our third time at GWL and let me say first that the water park and the room were great as usual, and all our past reviews reflect this. The reason for this review being so bad is the fact that when we booked we were told we had a $25 room credit, when my wife checked in she confirmed this and asked the girl exactly how to use it, we ordered pizza the first night and charged the $25 to the room and paid the rest. At checkout we confirmed again that we weren't charged, 2 days later I get a $29 charge for pizza in my card. My wife calls and they direct us to customer service who then passes us off to a manager via email who has still a week later not returned a phone call or email. We have 3, soon to be 4 children we brought my parents this time and are def recurring visitors, but with customer service this bad and being billed, be it only $29 when we had a credit and no one returning a call I will probably take my money elsewhere from now in. Glad my future visit were worth $25 to them. So all I can say is be cautious if u r told u have a credit u will probably get charged after u leave and no one will bother to help u!!

Stayed December 2014

Travelers are raving about these Scotrun hotels

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!