“Family fun” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Great Wolf Drive, Scotrun, PA 18355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
“Family fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Had a wonderful time on Fathers Days celebrating with my entire family. The place was great. we have been going for the past 7 yrs, but never have been there during the summer months. It was wonderful to be able to use the outside facilities. The pool was wonderful. Food was good, the staff was very helpful...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Floral Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We visited Great Wolf with our kids and my mom and dad. It was a great trip for all!! Kids had a great time in the water park and there were lots of new things to do since we'd been there last. The rate was good for summer and my parents really liked being able to sit back and relax to watch the kids have fun. The quality of the food in the restaurants has improved, but a bit over priced for dinner. Intend to go back next summer!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Marlboro, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our second time at the Great Wolf Lodge and probably our last. The rooms are average and in need of updating and the water park can use a huge renovation. The first time we were impressed with the hotel and park but this time around it was just ok. The water park was crowded and felt like it needed a good cleaning. Food was expensive as expected and we ended up getting takeout and bringing it to our room. The kids had fun and we know that this place is geared to them but for almost $500 a night you can do better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and sharing your observations with us! In September the lodge will be closing for several days to allow general maintenance to be performed throughout the resort. A part of this downtime will be focused on refurbishing parts of the waterpark so we can continue providing guests the safe and fun environment we are known for. For more information on when this closure will be taking place, you can visit us online and chat with a live Great Wolf Representative from 8am to 10pm CST.

We look forward to seeing your family again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We go to this place every 3 - 5 months. It's absolutely worth it . When you are a repetitive customer they send you very good offers. We've gone 5 times so far. I have a 5 and 9 year old girl. They have plenty of activities. We still have not done all of them. Each room has a fridge , which is great since we bring snacks and cold cuts for fresh sandwiches, and our drinks too. I so recommend this place. By the way I myself love the slides , I become like a little girl and I go to all of them!!!!!! I'm a big kid!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

2 nights, family of 4 paid over a $1,000.00. Next time I will come here with the kid for the winter time a pay less. I recommend 1 night stay, because the kids were tired of the rides and wanted to go home the 2nd day. It was fun for them the 1st day. Great Service, the kids got free wolf bands to wear on their head, and free face painting.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Best indoor water park i have ever been in. Out visit was for 4 nights, i recommend for staying a max of 3 nights. The food was good, activities were great and our children couldn't get enough of the water park.

Room Tip: Themed rooms are great. The kids love it!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We were looking for a quick weekend getaway destination that was a short distance from Philadelphia. After considering a number of destinations, we settled on Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos. I was extremely hesitant to go there...between the lousy reviews online and the high cost, I was sure it was going to be a disaster. Boy was I surprised! We had a blast!

I'll start by saying that check in went incredibly smoothly. We arrived at 12:45 and waited in line for less than a minute. We learned that our room was ready (normally rooms are available after 4 pm) so we were able to get changed in our room for the water park instead of the bathrooms!

We are a family of three, two adults, one almost 7 year old boy. The kiddo had seen a commercial for GWL and saw the special kid rooms. We were able to stay in a "Wolf Den" room that included a bunk bed for my son. He only ever slept in a bunk bed once before and ended up hating it. He ended up sleeping in our queen bed. (Lesson learned, go for the two queen-bed rooms next time!) While the Wolf Den area was adorably decorated and perfect for kids, it just didn't work for my picky kiddo.

Our room overall was great. Immaculately cleaned despite having well worn furniture. (Or maybe that was the rustic look they were going for here?) The linens were soft, the bed was very comfortable. Had I not had a pair of six year old feet kicking my head half the night I would have slept great! I liked having a refrigerator (while some of the racks inside were broken) to keep all the bottled water we brought cold. Definitely bring your own bottled water. The hotel charges $3 a bottle! There was a microwave, but we didn't use it. The toiletries included two bars of soap, one small bottle of shampoo and a small tube of bubble gum scented body wash for the kiddo. He loved that! We stayed in room 2026, which was a good location...not too close to the action and quiet after the curfew of 11 pm. I loved having an outdoor balcony. Great place to sit a bit to think and good place to lay out a bathing suit to dry! The bathroom was very nice, but could have used one of those retractable drying lines in the shower for wet suits.

The water park itself was better than expected. We had watched the videos on the GWL website to see what we were in for and they hardly do it justice. My son has not been a brave swimmer, despite five years of YMCA swim lessons. He hates to get his face wet. We have season passes to Sesame Place and he loves going on the water rides there, so we hoped he would enjoy GWL. By the end of our second day there, our son had gone on every water attraction except the two he was too short to ride! He loved it. He even figured out how to swim underwater in the outdoor pool (which was really cold, but that had more to do with the unseasonably cold summer PA is having.) I liked that for the slides two people could ride in a double tube together. This gave my son confidence in doing the slides. By the second day he wanted to ride on his own tube alone! We found the water park to be extremely clean, not too overly chlorinated, and not too too crowded. The life guard staff were extremely professional and courteous. I loved watching how attentive they were while guarding the pool. They were hands down the most attentive life guards I've ever observed and I felt completely safe there.

The location of this GWL is not far from a number of dining establishments. We originally planned to only eat breakfast at GWL and go out for dinner, but we were having so much fun that we figured it would be quicker to just stay on site. We ate at the Loose Moose for both dinner and breakfast. The food was good, lots of selections and very fresh. The servers and staff were very friendly and helpful. It was really overpriced, but we felt we were paying for the convenience. Dinner was a fixed price buffet of about $24 per person and did not include non-alcoholic beverages. That was annoying and made me feel like I was being taken advantage of by management.

We had purchased the Paw Pass for my son, which I didn't completely understand what it was for but saw was recommended by many other parents. It turned out to be a good deal for him...he ended up adopting a wolf stuffed animal, overloaded on candy and ice cream, got to play MagiQuest and a few other souvenirs. I would have never bought all those things individually, so he made out well.

The MagiQuest game was interesting. My son wanted to do it but didn't completely understand it. (It was included on the Paw Pass.) He is not much of a video game kid, so that probably contributed to it. I think for an older child who doesn't need a parent tagging along, MagiQuest is amazing as a time filler. I don't think we got the value out of the overpriced video game, but my son enjoyed it for what it was. And, we probably would do it again!

My son already wants to return to GWL, so I will be on the look out for deals and discounts for the future. I booked online with a 20% off code, so that gave us at least a bit of savings, but the two day, one night adventure still cost us over $600. Way more money than we would normally spend, but on the other hand we had a fun and memorable adventure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!