“Fun family escape at an indoor water park” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book & Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fun family escape at an indoor water park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We were looking for a quick weekend getaway destination that was a short distance from Philadelphia. After considering a number of destinations, we settled on Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos. I was extremely hesitant to go there...between the lousy reviews online and the high cost, I was sure it was going to be a disaster. Boy was I surprised! We had a blast!

I'll start by saying that check in went incredibly smoothly. We arrived at 12:45 and waited in line for less than a minute. We learned that our room was ready (normally rooms are available after 4 pm) so we were able to get changed in our room for the water park instead of the bathrooms!

We are a family of three, two adults, one almost 7 year old boy. The kiddo had seen a commercial for GWL and saw the special kid rooms. We were able to stay in a "Wolf Den" room that included a bunk bed for my son. He only ever slept in a bunk bed once before and ended up hating it. He ended up sleeping in our queen bed. (Lesson learned, go for the two queen-bed rooms next time!) While the Wolf Den area was adorably decorated and perfect for kids, it just didn't work for my picky kiddo.

Our room overall was great. Immaculately cleaned despite having well worn furniture. (Or maybe that was the rustic look they were going for here?) The linens were soft, the bed was very comfortable. Had I not had a pair of six year old feet kicking my head half the night I would have slept great! I liked having a refrigerator (while some of the racks inside were broken) to keep all the bottled water we brought cold. Definitely bring your own bottled water. The hotel charges $3 a bottle! There was a microwave, but we didn't use it. The toiletries included two bars of soap, one small bottle of shampoo and a small tube of bubble gum scented body wash for the kiddo. He loved that! We stayed in room 2026, which was a good location...not too close to the action and quiet after the curfew of 11 pm. I loved having an outdoor balcony. Great place to sit a bit to think and good place to lay out a bathing suit to dry! The bathroom was very nice, but could have used one of those retractable drying lines in the shower for wet suits.

The water park itself was better than expected. We had watched the videos on the GWL website to see what we were in for and they hardly do it justice. My son has not been a brave swimmer, despite five years of YMCA swim lessons. He hates to get his face wet. We have season passes to Sesame Place and he loves going on the water rides there, so we hoped he would enjoy GWL. By the end of our second day there, our son had gone on every water attraction except the two he was too short to ride! He loved it. He even figured out how to swim underwater in the outdoor pool (which was really cold, but that had more to do with the unseasonably cold summer PA is having.) I liked that for the slides two people could ride in a double tube together. This gave my son confidence in doing the slides. By the second day he wanted to ride on his own tube alone! We found the water park to be extremely clean, not too overly chlorinated, and not too too crowded. The life guard staff were extremely professional and courteous. I loved watching how attentive they were while guarding the pool. They were hands down the most attentive life guards I've ever observed and I felt completely safe there.

The location of this GWL is not far from a number of dining establishments. We originally planned to only eat breakfast at GWL and go out for dinner, but we were having so much fun that we figured it would be quicker to just stay on site. We ate at the Loose Moose for both dinner and breakfast. The food was good, lots of selections and very fresh. The servers and staff were very friendly and helpful. It was really overpriced, but we felt we were paying for the convenience. Dinner was a fixed price buffet of about $24 per person and did not include non-alcoholic beverages. That was annoying and made me feel like I was being taken advantage of by management.

We had purchased the Paw Pass for my son, which I didn't completely understand what it was for but saw was recommended by many other parents. It turned out to be a good deal for him...he ended up adopting a wolf stuffed animal, overloaded on candy and ice cream, got to play MagiQuest and a few other souvenirs. I would have never bought all those things individually, so he made out well.

The MagiQuest game was interesting. My son wanted to do it but didn't completely understand it. (It was included on the Paw Pass.) He is not much of a video game kid, so that probably contributed to it. I think for an older child who doesn't need a parent tagging along, MagiQuest is amazing as a time filler. I don't think we got the value out of the overpriced video game, but my son enjoyed it for what it was. And, we probably would do it again!

My son already wants to return to GWL, so I will be on the look out for deals and discounts for the future. I booked online with a 20% off code, so that gave us at least a bit of savings, but the two day, one night adventure still cost us over $600. Way more money than we would normally spend, but on the other hand we had a fun and memorable adventure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Hinesville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We were supposed to go for 1 night and we decided last minute to stay for 2, they were very accomadating and even upgraded our room at no cost! It was our 1st trip to a great wolf lodge and we loved it. The indoor pool area/water park was awesome (a bit too chlorinated for me aggrivated my asthma), the activities were plentiful, the rooms and facilities were very clean, and the staff awesome. It was a bit overpriced which we expected, 88 for breakfast buffet for 3 adults, 1 four yo and 1 seven yo, you will get nickle and dimed but the paw pass and the cub pass was definetly worth it. We will def be visiting another great wolf lodge. Oh yeah Wiley and Violet autographed my daughters pillowcase she colored there - she says that was the best part of the trip!

nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Trip was all about the kids. Late check in and early check out made it hard to truly settle in and enjoy ourselves. Kids had a blast running around the lodge playing all sorts of games. Food left a lot to be desired, typical of the standard American diet.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Scott Twp, Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Been there three times, Great getaway you don't have to leave for loads of fun. Guaranteed Water Park fun, no weather worry, for one. Mini Golf, Game Room, Spa, Arts and Craft room. The Pizza is awesome at the Wolf Den! Recommend staying on the 3rd floor, first time was on first and kids running all over into the night. 3rd floor has large ceilings, nice touch. Big Budget Hotel. Lots of little things to do adds up, Get the Paw Pack Good Value.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Delran, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Stayed for two nights in late July with my wife and two boys - 10 and almost 5 - in a Kid Cabin suite. The GWL does a lot right, and other things not so right:

Good: attentive life guards, clean facilities, adequate towels, convenient food options, convenient payment wristbands, fun water slides and wave pool.

Bad: Day camping kids/teens can take over the park; EVERYTHING seems to be extra $; slow check-in; high buffet prices don't include any beverages other than water; buffet is not really self serve; water park temp was too cool, made water feel chilly, wifi is slow (they claim it's free but it's included in daily resort fee); no DVD player (we brought our own).

Kids had fun, but I don't think we'll be back. Can get a very similar experience at CoCo Key or Sahara Sam's (in NJ) for much less $.

Stayed July 2014
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and sharing your feedback with us! We greatly appreciate the commentary you were able to provide us and I will share it with our Management team at the resort to review internally. We are always looking for areas of opportunity to make adjustments and improve the overall guest experience, and reviews like this allow us to have a starting point to work with.

We hope to see you again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
Norwood, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We just returned from a 3 night stay at GWL. It was our first time and we had a great time overall. Most staff were friendly but we felt we were ill-informed about some of the activities. Found out on our last day that the rope maze could be climbed as many times as you wanted once the fee was paid. Front desk staff were supposed to tell us but our girl couldn't get rid of us fast enough. Very pricey food, gift shop, etc. $3.00 for bottled water!!! Lifeguards were some of the hardest working people there. Constantly on watch and moving. Very impressed!!! Waterpark is a blast and our kids enjoyed hours of fun! Would return again but will take our own food, etc to save on cost. Fire alarms rang two nights disrupting our quiet time and kids running up and down hallways until late. You can hear everything so don't expect to feel rested in the morning.

Room Tip: Try to be on top floor as kids run the halls and yell until after "hibernation" 11:00 pm a...
Wilton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Kids can't wait to go back! Like Disney it's non stop fun and themes, and ....fees.... Unless you really just stay in the waterpark.

The Wolf den fit the 6 of us perfectly, though we didn't spend much time there. The kids loved the bunks and the TV in the den.

The waterpark was clean and reasonably crowded (lines but not crazy). Not too bad for a summer weekend. Kids loved the wave pool and lazy river. Older kids loved the slides.

There are private group cabanas indoors and out that I had never seen before, and might be convenient if you have a large group as a central meeting point, or if you have young kids.(and can afford the extra expense!)

Biggest complaint is the bathrooms at the waterpark. Even in the morning within half hour of the park opening, there was matted dried out mushed toilet paper all over the floors. Not just in one area. Gross. Clearly they did not clean it overnight.

The ropes course was fun but shortlived because unfortunately they only open one of the many zip lines (smaller/lighter kids were getting stuck because they couldn't gain momentum so they closed off the higher ziplines). so it limits your routes, and you actually have to get off one side to go back to the beginning. My 7yo niece got freaked out within 5minutes. No offer of refund given...

We got the Wolf pass for about a hundred bucks, and was able to divide up the experiences between the kids -- Shadowquest, Magiquest, wand, ropes course, XD ride, glitter tattoo, leather bracelet, goggles, stuffed animal, candy cup, never even got around to the bowling or mini golf. Hint: if there's no one waiting they'll let you take all four seats of the Howlywood XD ride. It was actually pretty impressive simulation.

The girls loved the Magiquest, but it does take ALOT of footwork! Back and forth, up and down, and there are some frustrating tricks in it...you gave to do tasks in irder, and sometimes within a tome frame. And it's expensive ... We just got one wand and shared it... But if you kit it all out, it adds up pretty quickly.

There are refrigerators, 4Cup coffee makers and microwaves in the rooms.

The buffet is convenient, but not particularly good. This is definitely an area they could improve. However they do make an effort to accommodate dietary restrictions by having a chef discuss and prepare dishes. The soy milk wolf waffles were great!

Service was good throughout, and we even forgot a pair of sandals that security searched for, found and is mailing to us (we pay ten bucks for shipping)

Overall, a great and fun filled 24 hours for the kids!!!!!!

Stayed July 2014

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!