“Fun for Kids but expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Great Wolf Drive, Scotrun, PA 18355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
New Jersey
“Fun for Kids but expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We visited for our 4th year for my son's birthday. I did not think he would want to go since he turned 13 but the additional game Shadowquest along with Magicquest - they really enjoyed the game as aways. I purchased the Wolf pass prior to arriving so they would have their freedom to enjoy the bowling, arcade, golf etc. What no one tells you is they now have moved from giving them tokens for the arcade to giving them a plastic card which one of them lost. Had I know they were giving a credit card - I would have been a little more heads up with the one who does not pay attention as he lost the card and he only played two games. I went to desk they can't refund your money due to there is no way to track them. They put everything on the card the arcade, bowling and golf. After being at front desk a while the manger, I guess, finally agreed they would give me the bowling and golf but not the arcade money. Which would have been a bigger problem because I would have had to pay for the boy to play the other games so the boys could continue to hang together - I really like them having someone at each venue to mark off what they have played instead of giving a credit card that they can lose it doesn't hang on the paw pass etc. So I had to spend MORE money on giving him arcade money. The whole point for me to purchase the passes is it hangs on their neck and the really can't lose them. I found this very frustrating and would have liked to be informed of the change upon check in. I had to pay more money to give him his arcade credits. I found this extremely frustrating. Otherwise the water park was packed as always and people saving chairs that are never used. The kids love to go - really to play the game and they really liked the new game. I wish they had a program for returning loyal guests like most resorts have so the points could save you a chair upgrade your room or give you a late check out - something for your loyalty but they give you nothing for being a loyal guest. We stayed in Wolf Den the room was clean. I also like that you can get a cup for the visit but no one explained that at check in - so we didn't get the glass right away and once we did no one explained where you get the free refills - I found that on my own but really like this new addition of the cup!! This was the first time we ordered pizza from the pizza place located in the resort - it was good and reasonable and it was a nice break to eat lunch in the room. Their salad was also very good - would do this again. This very nice part was when we arrived our room was ready which was fantastic!!!!

Room Tip: The 4th floor has to be quieter - parents don't tell their children to not jump off bed or bounc...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos and providing us with your feedback! I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and we appreciate your suggestion on a guest loyalty program. I will pass that along to our team in the Poconos for them to discuss for future guests.

We hope you will return again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
ny,ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Just back from 2 nights/3 days at Great Wolf Lodge. Overall we had a fun time and the kids, ages 5 and 8, were really happy the whole time we were there, which is the point of it all.

My biggest complaint is that at these prices, this hotel should be an all-inclusive, or at least more of the activities/food should be included besides just entry to the water park. We ended up paying extra for arcade, bowling, mini golf and magic quest in addition to food. At these prices, you'd think at least the bottled water in your room would be free, or have the ice cream parlor, or the games be for free… Something! We have gone to Beaches resort several times and there all of that would be included and I don't feel like the prices are that far off (maybe because we were at GWL on Spring Break week?).

That said, we had a great time. We had brought breakfast with us so I can't say much about that but there were decent options at the dinner buffet. It was great but totally fine for 2 nights. I'd say that if we were staying any longer than that we probably would have left for a restaurant at least one of the nights just for a change. But staying at the hotel meant that dinner was relatively quick and we could have more fun with the on-site activities like the arcade or magic quest.

The water park itself is great fun. We were always able to get towels and though there were some longer lines for the bigger slides it was manageable.

The idea of having your bracelet be your room key and your credit card is brilliant and I loved being able to walk around the hotel without a wallet or purse. I also liked that there was no wait to check out - they do it automatically for you so you only have to wait at the font desk when you arrive, not when you leave.

The rooms are fine. We were in a family fireplace room which had a nice amount of space for the kids to hang out in during our downtime. They could use a few more drawers/dresser. They also need some more hook in the bathroom to hang wet bathing suits. NOTE: They supply shampoo, soap, kids toothpaste and kids body wash but no conditioner so if you use it, bring your own.

If your kids are into water parks, this is a great option for 2 days/2 nights. I think after that it would get a little boring.

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floor where it is quieter.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We spent three nights with our sons (9 and 11). Along with other reviewers I recommend the top (4th) floor.

Our sons had a blast. Being in a hot and humid water park is fabulous when it’s cold outside. Some reviewers complained about chairs in the waterpark all being taken by people or towels, but be aware that there are loads of chairs you can take in the center of the waterpark under the green stairs.

Waterpark food choices were pretty lousy, mainly the typical burgers, hot dogs, etc. There were limited healthy choices such as a turkey wrap.

One of my sons went absolutely gaga for MagiQuest – after he got the concept of the quests, he became driven to finish them all in one stay, which he did. Loved it. He even chose MagiQuest time over waterpark time. My other son was less enamored with MagiQuest because he was too busy floating down the lazy river.

We had the Paw Pass which seemed to a good value because it let my sons try a little of everything without us having to pay full freight.

We also had the breakfast package because it’s just not worth it for us to spend time traveling out somewhere else. I thought the breakfast was pretty good – loads of choices such as eggs, sausage, bacon, cut up fruit, yogurt, breakfast pizza – too much to list. I found the pastries to be dry.

We ate at Loose Moose at dinner so that we didn’t lose valuable MagiQuest time. Here my husband and I had different opinions. He didn’t much care for the buffet dinner and I thought it was OK. The problem at dinner was the dirty plates at the front of the line. On two nights. And I mean customers standing at the plate area and picking through plates to find ones without brown something-or-other on them. And yes I did ask our waitress to tell the restaurant manager about it.

There’s a good custom pasta station at the dinner buffet but the line forms quickly. By 6:00 the line is prohibitively long. Why would I stand in line for 20 minutes while the rest of my family is eating at the table and finishing before I get back? It’s too bad they can’t put two chefs at the pasta station.

There was also a staffing issue at the Pizza Hut a lunch time. One poor guy had to take orders, make pizzas and then box the pizzas. One guy!!

But frankly two young boys aren’t going to notice any of these negatives. They aren’t going to notice the line at the pasta station or that the pasties are dry or that their mother is waiting 20 minutes for a small Pizza Hut pizza. They’re just planning their next trip down Hydro-Plunge.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor and near the far end of a hallway. Yes you'll have to walk fa...
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We had plenty of friends who had done this trip and I read lots of reviews before going. I think if you know what you're getting in to, it can be an enjoyable short family getaway.
We had read about crowded check-in, but we must have lucked out, because we arrived at 12:30pm and were able to get in to our room immediately. The check-in process, for us, was super easy and the staff very nice.
We had a Wolf Den room and it was very cute. The kids loved the bunk beds and having their own tv. The rooms could use a little refreshing, but I think they are just a little dinged up from being filled with kids all the time. That said, they were very clean and the theming is adorable and throughout the room and resort. We had a room on the top floor, which I recommend. The doors to the rooms are not noise prrof and we did have some noise in the halls prior to 10pm, but it did quiet down after that.
The water park was a lot of fun. It was pretty much as clean as a water park can be. The life guards were fantastic and vigiliant. A wonderful man at the entrance helped us get the lay of the land and measure the kids for bands showing which rides they were able to go on. The resort gives you a great band that act as room key and is connected to your credit card for charging. We loved not having to worry about our wallet. We brought our own towels so I cannot speak to the towels.
The food was awful in the water park. They did have some healthy options, but they were sold out of them at 1:00pm when were having lunch, which I thought was odd. Lunch was bad enough that we decided not to have dinner there. Right down the road were several restaurants and we ate at Red Robin. We had pre-purchased breakfast vouchers and the breakfast WAS better. Lots of options/large selection of breakfast items.
The staff was great and entertained the kids on several occasions. Our kids did the Wolf Walk, Clock Tower Show, Story Time, crafts, etc. It seemed there was always something going on (for free) in the lobby. The other activities were very pricey. Kids spa was ridiculous. We did do the mini golf, but it was $24 and took about $10 minutes.
WE were done here after 1 1/2 days. i can't imagine stayling longer, but my kids sure could have. A lounge/bar would be nice, maybe more outdoor activities. We enjoy vacations that are a mis of adult/kids acitivites. This was defintely all kids, all the time. But they loved it. Being from Long Island, it was a quick trip and worth it for how much they enjoyed it.

Merrick, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

It always makes me wonder why hotels can't put an extra few people at the desk during check in times so that people are not starting out there stay getting aggravated. Check in took almost an hour and the line was very long. The indoor water park is very nice. The adult heated pool was very relaxing. The chlorine was a bit much as my whole family had eye irritation issues the first night -business helped! The room with a small balcony was spacious. However there was no channel clicker to be found, We called down to the desk 3 times in one hour to get one and finally left for dinner. When we came back there was a clicker left in our room. We would have walked to the desk to get one or wherever but every time we called they said they would send it right up. Very long lines for the slide-so long that the kids just did not go on them the first day. The 2nd day they were shorter, so the did go on and enjoy it. There are a million kids running around unattended on the property with wands and stations doing that Quest game. Brilliant idea but expensive and I am not comfortable letting my kids run around the property alone and I wasn't about to walk the halls either. We did not eat dinner on the property as there was a long line. We did have the breakfast buffet. Very nice-full selections, but omelet line was about a 20 min wait. The arcade was fun, but the machines take a card-of which you apply $ to. We did not realize this until we went back the next day after having thrown out the card charging us $1 each for a new card. You are supposed to get the cards from a machine of which one takes cash only and doesn't give change! It rejects the majority of bills inserted and after I put in my $20 for a $10 card and got no change- they tell you at the desk that the machine is a separate business and they can't give you the $ back. Strange that it rejected small bills and only took the $20! After calling for a manager I got it back. I noticed after it does say so on the machine, but it is listed underneath the $ slot. Since the machine rejects half the bills put into it you are focused on inserting the bills not reading all around the slot. The manager was good natured and saved the day about it but the clerk at the desk was not. It felt like jut another way to get your money. Overall it was a nice experience but way too expensive for what it was. However we went during a holiday week so our own fault. The last time I was here was not a holiday week and much better-less lines, less crowded, better service and much cheaper. Kids did love it!

Room Tip: Room on 4th floor was quieter but be prepared to walk upstairs or wait for elevator as there are jus...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Thank you sharing your feedback from the recent stay you had at Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos! You have provided us with a lot of information to work with and we will discuss it internally to improve for future visits.

During peak periods we will see longer wait times in the waterpark at some parts of the day. To see shorter wait times, it is recommended you visit the waterpark after 7pm and then come play again around 10am. This is when veteran guests have found they are able to ride more popular rides in a shorter timeframe.

I hope this information helps you and that you will stay with us again soon!

Jason
Great Wolf Guest Relations
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We just came back from our first time at GWL. It was super fun and very clean. We read all the reviews ahead of time and took it all to heart. We knew that besides the water park and room, everything else was extra $$. I mean EVERYTHING. We found that by pre-packing breakfast in our room, and going off site for dinner and lunch saved us tons of money.
We have 2 boys and definitely wanted to look into Magiquest. That was super exciting to do with my sons. We were confused at first, but everyone on floors 3-4 were all in it together so we all helped each other.
That was the only extra $$ we paid for. We spent most of our time at the water park.
But I can see how this trip COULD be super expensive if you let it be.
We may or may not come back again, probably with a discounted room rate. But again it was super fun for the kids.

Room Tip: Bring Snacks to the room and save money by going off-site for lunch or dinner.
Brooklyn NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This is a vast property with easy to access right off Rt. 80. The rooms are large
and the ceilings seem to have sound dampening material in them as we were on the ground
floor with children above us and, while they were running back and forth, we faintly
heard them. The bed was thick and comfortable and the TV was flatscreen with the standard
drip coffee maker.

As we explored the property we were impressed with the variety of activities available.
There was bowling, game rooms, teddy bear building and plenty of gift shops, you can
really get in trouble with your credit card here. Best advice is to blindfold your kids
from the room to the waterpark.
First things first, we ate at the restaurant located in the main lobby. They carry a full
menu along with a local brew, which is quite good.

The waterpark is huge with full facilities within its' space including a gift shop, snack
bar and full service bar, which is conveniently located right near the lazy river. Plenty
of pools for the kids, including a wave pool and slides with slight inclines geared
toward the 10 and under crowd. A couple of 2 story playhouses with water jets connected
by a bridge that seems to be a big hit.

The main attractions are the largers slides, 6 of them if I counted right. A couple of
them operate at 3 to 4 stories high with extreme drops. They travel from inside the park
to the outside and back in again, a couple more finish up in the lazy river. Very well
run operation and they keep the line moving. Just like the cruise ship, no need for money
you just let them scan your wristband you're given when you book the room.

The best part about this place is in order to access the park you need to book a room, no
day visitors which keeps out the trouble makers and the riff-raff. I would have given the
place 5 stars except we had 2 things wrong in our room, hair dryer came out of the wall
and the bracket holding the shower head broke and, desite putting in a complaint with the
front desk, 2 days later it wasn't fixed. Other than that the place is a perfect getaway
that your kids won't forget anytime soon.

Room Tip: Book the rooms in the rear of the facility which gives you a view of trees and mountains instead of...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!