“Great water park!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Great Wolf Drive, Scotrun, PA 18355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
“Great water park!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed overnight New Years with kids. The best was the water park, kids lived it! More than two day and they would have been bored. Lines were good but we went early and after dinner, avoided the noon to 6 crowd. Bring water shirts as it did get cold in some parts of the park.

Bowling was fun but golf was a waste of money. I would avoid magic quest as the wand keep breaking. The pizza take out was a good deal and tasted good. The arcade was fun and check about deals as they had all you can play for two hours for a fixed price.

Staff was nice but way over extended , lines at all the food stands. Hotel could have been cleaner but I feel like the guest were more to blame. Room was good no issues.

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Pleasantville, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Reason for my visit - Celebrating my daughter's b'day.
How many times have I visited this resort - this was my second time
1st Issue - The room we had (room 2019) was very cold; the Heating/AC unit was broken. There was a small flow of cold air coming out of the unit and there was no way to adjust it. As the night went on I kept waking up because it was so cold and got colder... I made sure my daughter and niece were well covered. What was upsetting was that I told an employee (she seemed to be in a leadership position because she was instruction an EVS employee to double check bathrooms) who seem to be in management about the problem and she said she would let the right people know. In my opinion she told no one because the room was very cold and could sleep well because of that. We woke up the day after the morning felt cold... we got ready and went to the pool.
2nd Issue - The closer you get to the Front Desk the Colder it gets... this time was no exception; very very cold in the hallways. They have fire doors (assuming they are fire doors) that lead into stairwell area but they are open all day... not sure why they don't keep those doors close... or at least find a was to keep those hallways warm because when guest return from the pool to the rooms it is very very chilling/freezing cold at times.

PROS - Even though I feel that the Person I told about the issue in the room didn't do anything about it... every staff member I encounter was very friendly. Also the water park area was very nice and we enjoyed it... felt I could leave my daughter and niece in the pool and I knew they were being looked after... the life guards were constantly patrolling pool area... walking back and forth.
There is definitely much for kids to do... very nice.... Also even after check out you can still enjoy the water park. I rented a locker for $10 dollars and placed only what we were going to need to change after we finished using park... I placed everything else in car.

We checked in on 1/27 ----- The pictures I have put on here are from the first time we visited Wolf Lodge.... this second time we went there was a lot of snow around.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in Upper floors and not on lobby floor area. Also check heating/AC unit on arrival...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos! We appreciate your feedback regarding the HVAC unit in your suite and the general temperature of the lodge. I will share this information so that it can be discussed internally. It is very important, especially during the winter months, that our guests are comfortable when they stay with us.

I am glad that you noticed how diligent our lifeguards are. They take their role in the guest experience very seriously because safety is our number one priority at Great Wolf Lodge.

We hope you will bring your family back soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We were told our room would be ready in a half hour or less. Two hours later it was done. Several lights dod not have bulbs. There was pretzels on the floor. One of the bathrooms dis not have a shower curtain. Rhe heater is on a motion sensor. So everytime we left the room it was below 68 when we came back. Not fun going to waterparl just to come back to your room and freeze. Heater also has a three degree swing. Over night it would get cold in the room and was hard to sleep. People above us sound like a heard of elephants coming thru the cieling.
We stood in line for food in the water park for a half hour. Finally we get to order and find out our wristbands were not set up to charge things even though the agent at checkin assured us they were. Now we had to go upstairs and get it straight. Than come back to waterpark and get back in line and wait again.
Boght a pair of crocks in store. They were broken. When we realized it we had to tey and ezchange them. What an ordeal that was.
They must have a skeleton crew of thier worste employees on staff. I have never seen such rude and uncaring employees here.
The waterpark, hallways, and resteraunts are all dirty.
The have several maintenance issues they need to adress. And they also should mot have ladders left all around thw hotel rhat kids could try to use amd get hurt on.
I could go on all day but now I have a headache again just thinking about this stay. After four years straight this will be our last visit to great wolf.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
I am very sorry to hear that your most recent visit to Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos did not meet with the expectations set by your past stays. The experience that you had does not meet with the standards that we have set for ourselves and I will be sharing your review with the lodge. We will discuss this internally to find areas that we can improve before your next trip.

We pride ourselves on being a safe and family friendly vacation destination throughout the year, and again I apologize on behalf of Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos for what you experienced when you last visited.

I hope you will give Great Wolf Lodge another chance!

Great Wolf Guest Relations

Travelers are raving about these Scotrun hotels

Philadelphia, Pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We recently visited from Sunday Jan 26-Wed Jan 29. First we arrived before checkout to an unbeleivable amount of ppl in teh lobby with lines to check in. We pulled in and there was no staff outside to direct traffic or where to park. We found it to be very disorganized and no signs or staff inside pointing anyone in any direction. Waited about an hr in line to check in and once we got there we were told we ould get a text when the room was ready at 4. We had 2 lil ones with us ages 2 and 4 and had drive over 2 hours. We never received any text at 4 and got back in line. The staff did give us a free upgrade to a Wolf den suite for our inconvenience which we appreciated however they put us on the 1st floor at the other end of the bldg which was right next to the outside door and the room and hall was freezing. If you can, stay on the higher floors the 1st floor is freezing.

The Room- The room was nice and clean and well appointed. No complaints. The maid service was fine and did a gret job cleaning and providing supplies over our 3 days. We had a the wolf den which had the bunk beds (which the kids just played in) and then a queen and a pullout sleeper all very comfortable. The shower was awesome and strong. They do not supply much shampoo or conditioner bring all your own toiletries. They have a safe in the room and also microwave and mini fridge. All used and worked great. Also you get a wrist band at check in which is also your room key which we found to be a very nice added feature and useful when you have full hands and lil ones. This can also be used as a payment device around the property and is linked to the CC on file.

Food/drink- As many reviews state the food and drinks here are overpriced and from what we did buy on property not very good so we decided to pack all our food /drinks and we did great and saved alot money doing this. We packed breakfast foods, and all kinds of snacks and milk, waters etc. We did utlize Starbucks in the lobby as a treat each morning but did not visit the restaurants as the reviews were not good and we didnt want to chance it. We did get a few snacks from the snack stand in the water park and they were fine. The fridge will fit a gallon milk FYI.

The Waterpark- The Water park is enormous and something for everyone except the really lil ones like babies and 1 yr olds. I would suggest a small wading pool or a sprinkler pad. They have a decent size area for the younger crowd ages 2-5 with smaller slides they my kids loved. They also have alot of stairs and overhead activites with water spouts and dump buckets that we spent alot of time in. There are alot of options for all ages and overall the pools were kept very clean. There were many lifeguards on duty and kept a vigilant watch over the pool areas. I was impressed as many were young kids but they did a great job. One expereince I did not like was when we were in the lazy river the river was jammed with floats and we had our lil one (ages 2 and 4 ) with us and I asked the lifeguard can some of the floats be taken out and she told me I could do it myself. I was quite upset after all Im the guest not the employee and clearly had my hands full with kids. But overall the staff at the waterpark were very helpful and went above and beyond to make sure you had fun and were safe. The only other downside of the water park was the temperature. Now we did go at a very cold time outside however the website says the ambient temp is 84 and ther was no way the temp in the water park was 84. It was at best in the 70's and my kids were pretty much cold all the time. Most of the guests we spoke too agreed and many ppl could only be in the water for short periods of time. We did however find the hot tub on the last day and we spent some time in there which was enjoyable and we wished all the water was that temp. So be prepared to be cold. The front desk was made aware but there was never any change in temp.
There is a family tube ride which was fun and we took our kids on it but fair warning and they do not tell you , your kids will fall out if you dont hold onto them if they are lil it is fast and wild so hold on tight!

The Arcade and other areas of amusements- The arcade is a ripoff as most ppl have comment but its huge and you will spend money in ther if you have kids no doubt so be prepared. They have a lot of games and the area is clean and bright and we only had one game that didnt work and they added the money back to our prepaid card. My kids had a fun but its another $100-200 easy!

Bowling and mini golf were fun and worth it! We skipped the magic quest due to age and thank god because that is another nickel and dime event and you end up spending way more than you thought you would to begin with.

The lodge has several events and fun activites that are free throughout the day and night but the staff never seemed to know about times or events and what was where and they are not well advertised so we just happened to stumble upon them. Every day and night they have the clock tower show and then story time and then some nights a dance party for the kids which they loved. Most days they had face painting and ballon animals and some other games like i spy and memory with the characters. So be sure to check out the big screen in the lobby for times. Staff not helpful with that.

Spa- If you have the time be sure to pamper yourself in the Elements spa it was fantastic! My friend and I both had the Organic facial and massages and they were amazing. Beata did our facials and she was amazing. Be sure to request her. Massages were so great we didnt want it to end. the Spa is right between the waterpark and arcade but when you are inside you completly escape and cant hear a thing it was heaven! Prices are on par with most high end spas.

We only ventured out from the lodge for one dinner at Friendlys down the road it was about a 4 minute drive and the food was great and we saved a lot of money by eating outside the hotel.
Also there are plenty of stores and other lil eateries local so you dont have to spend a fortune.

TIP** be sure to bring lots of warm clothes for walking around as we found it to be very cold in the halls and lobby. Bring some sort of warm coverup or bath robe for walk back to the room after water park. Most ppl walk around in PJs and its well accepted in the hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to request room closer to water park and not near any exterior doors. Be sure to bring warm...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Poconos! I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. Thank you for mentioning your concerns with the overall temperature of the lodge and in the waterpark. It is very important to us that our guests are comfortable, as well as having a great time. I will share your feedback and it will be reviewed to see what improvements can be made before your next trip.

When you are looking to make your next reservation, if the time of year allows, I would recommend looking into a suite style that features a corner gas fireplace. We offer several different kinds of suites with this feature, and they are a tremendous value in the colder months.

I hope to see your family back soon!

Narrowsburg, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I have visited this resort over the past few years with my family but was a little apprehensive because I had read about a problem with bed bugs. I called and spoke to a supervisor, Queen, and she assured me that a housekeeping manager would come to my room with me and do a check for bed bugs. When checking into our rooms, a manager did come and check my room and everything was great. As a matter of fact, the mattresses looked almost new.
My family had a fantastic time. How nice it was to be in a water park while looking out the windows at the falling snow!
My family can't wait to plan our next visit to The Great Wolf Lodge!

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Get ready to pay . . . for EVERYTHING. Everything cost more, and by more I mean a LOT more. They nickel and dime you on everything. Besides your room and water park -- NOTHING is included, and if your little one wants to do something else, and you know they will, get ready to shell out an arm and a leg for it. My kids played the $6 mini golf -- couldn't get a lane for the $5 a game bowling. The arcade is crazy. Most games cost $1 a piece, a lot costing $2. Winning tickets is terrible -- after spending $45 for maybe 30 minutes of playtime for 2 kids, we came out with a messily 388 tickets which gets you about 1 prize. I don't know, I take 4 kids to Chuckie Cheese and we spend 2 hours there and everyone including myself and my wife play and we spend no more than $50 -- 5 people for 2 hours!!!

$2.99 for a bottle of water in your room -- or $3 from a vending machine for a 20 oz drink -- come on.

My daughter got a small dippin dots ice cream -- $5.50.

My kids wanted to do other activites such as paint a t-shirt etc -- but starting at $20 a pop for each activity, I had to say no!

So after getting a room for $383 (10% off with AAA -- call to get), I was hit with a bill for $565 for 1 day there!!! That includes $54.50 for "LATE CHECKOUT" -- they bill it as a 1/2 day stay in the room. Give me a break -- 1/2 day rate? You get 3 hours -- this is a MUST if you plan on using the water park and want to shower and change in peace -- the public ones are not for the faint of heart.

If they would stop nickel-and-diming you, and charge decent prices, you would leave parents leaving happy instead of being so upset by the pricing.

Westport, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

The set up could be better. Stairwell up with rafts in hand make it impossible to split the line, one side for ride on left, other for right. Because of this you get stuck for 25 min. We know because we clocked it. It's not Disneyland. Someone needs to figure out how to keep it moving. Rides however, are a blast.

• Stayed January 2014

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!