“We love Great Wolf” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Scotrun
Port Ewen
“We love Great Wolf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Visited Great Wolf for the second time. We love the family atmosphere, shows, waterpark and service at the lodge. Although it is extremely pricey, it is a safe place for kids to have fun and for parents to relax. We visited with a 13 year old girl, twelve year old girl and a 8 year old girl. They loved it, however we did not do all the "extras" such as the spa, and quest because it was way to expensive.

Room Tip: We had a standard room which was great and had just enough privacy for the kids to enjoy themselves.

1,487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've put off going to the "Wolf" thinking it was pricey, but a last minute decision for a Pocono overnight getaway changed my mind. Yes, the nightly rate is high, but when you take into consideration you get almost two full days of water park rides it was a better value than I realized. After check-out you can stay and use the waterpark as there's clean changing rooms available (and lockers to rent if needed). I just put the wet suits in a plastic sealed bag. My kids are older (11 & 15) and I worried there wouldn't be enough for them to do or the hotel was geared more for younger kids, but they had a blast. The water park was a hit with all of us (even grand mom enjoyed the lazy river) and we all enjoyed the hotel theme and watching kids do the wand quests. We stayed at the hotel and ate lunch at one of the restaurants even though I could have found less expensive restaurants down the road - the prices weren't that much higher; portion sizes were large enough that entrees could have been split and it was convenient. There's a microwave and mini frig in the rooms, so you can bring items to save even more. We'll definitely be back with a few friends and family members next time.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have heard of GWL from friends and family so many times, that we finally decided to visit for ourselves. Very pleasantly surprised by the infrastructure and facilities here. The indoor water park (and outdoor pool) is just great. Our boys couldn't get enough of it! Yes, it does get crowded and it is always recommended to grab a table/chairs early, but you can always find empty chairs by the wave pool.

The food is average, we had breakfast buffet and dinner buffet here - but one doesn't come here for the food. Tip for families - it's a good idea to pre-pay for breakfast when making your hotel reservation. We paid $130 total for 3 days (family of 4). Each breakfast buffet would have cost us $60 per day, so we ended up saving some money here. Of course, unless you want to make a breakfast run and grab something from outside (there's a Dunkin Donuts 5 miles out).

There is plenty to do for kids here. The Magic Quest was a fun activity when the kids weren't in the pool. We also did miniature golf and bowling. Didn't opt for their pre-paid Paw packages, and we figured we ended up saving money there as well. Most of the time is spent in the water park, so you're better off just paying for each activity that kids partake in.

Check-in lines can be long specially around 3pm or so. It's perhaps better to get in at say 1pm, check-in without lines, carry a bag with swimwear, and get into the waterpark while your room is prepared. The restrooms by the waterpark have changing rooms as well. Check-out is a breeze, they check you out automatically so no waiting in lines. Don't think about extending check-out time, this place seems to be pretty packed through the year, so they normally don't extend times for guests.

All in all, a little cheesy and a little crowded, but we had a great time with the activities here, and will definitely be coming back. Works out so much cheaper than flying anywhere!

USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great Wolf Lodge has much potential, but falls short in a lot of ways. First of all, it is ridiculously overpriced. In the "off-season," the lowest price is about $300-$350 a night. At prime times (like around Christmas), the cheapest rate can be around $500+. Who has that kind of money in this economy? And, is it worth it? Eh, not so much. The water park has some nice features, but it definitely needs to expand and include more rides/slides for tweens, teens, and adults. Having more space would also help to make you feel that people aren't all there crammed together. Getting back to prices, I really didn't appreciate how Great Wolf makes you pay for EVERYTHING...no food, no extra perks, etc are included. The buffet is mediocre, especially for the price. The activities there could be better and more varied, especially for older kids. The rooms were OK, but probably could use some updating. Like some of the other comments have noted, the service there is very lackluster too.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nanuet, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family (consisting of 5 adults, 1 child, and 1 toddler) arrived at 12pm so that we could check in and access the water park. First, it is really aggravating and inconvenient to not be able to get into your room until 4pm... you have to be prepared for the water park like you are going on a trip to the beach, so be sure to pack a separate bag for the day.

We went to the locker rooms inside the park to change into our swimsuits and I was immediately disgusted with the locker rooms/bathroom. There was murky gross water & garbage everywhere, the locks on half of the doors were broken, and it was uncomfortable changing. When I went to the bathroom I got walked in on, because none of the locks worked. After changing, we tried to find somewhere to sit... the only place available was next to a garbage can by the exit door. Most chairs are occupied by wet towels just thrown on them. I was also disgusted by the floors in the park which had garbage and food all over as well as dirty looking water. After these first impressions, I was not too happy.

Everyone did have a great time on the rides (except for the wait times! which sometimes took 20 mins!), however I found there was a lack of options for toddlers. I was stuck by the shallow end of the wave pool, because all of the other areas were too intimidating for babies. I had really wished there was a padded area with sprinklers just for babies/toddlers, and I also really wished for a dry playground outside for kids that want to take a break from the water. The lifeguards are outstanding and they definitely keep a close eye on things.

The hotel room was great, we had the grizzly bear suite, which was nice. I have no complaints about the room, except that it wasn't ready until 4:30, but to compensate they gave us a late check out at 2pm. One night is enough, since the park is small we were already bored with it by midway the 2nd day. I refused to spend more $ on all of the other things GWL offered, since it was all too expensive. The pizza is a good deal, but everything else is overpriced.

All in all, we had a good time for a bit, but was very disappointed with the cleanliness, and convenience, which it lacked.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was just there this past weekend with my husband and our friends. We had such a great time there. Too bad this resort is not an all-inclusive but the indoor waterpark is included!

- Room was great with BALCONY facing the outdoor pool area. Clean and neat. But it had "a wood smell" I guess because of the carpet and the wood table, chair and coffee table. Luckily that I brought a Lysol Disinfectant Spray, Morning Breeze scent. So that wasn't a problem. One of the table lamp was broken because of no light bulb. We notified the front desk (spoke with Jerry) he was so nice and helpful. When we got back to the room, it's been replaced already. Fast & professional service!

- The buffet in the lobby was so-so to me. It's about $30/adult. I'd suggest other travelers to look for some other diners or buffets in the area. We found an Asian buffet nearby called "East Gourmet Buffet" for $12/adult. They have baby back ribs, snow crab legs, raw oysters (very fresh), sushi & rolls and many more. We liked it there! We had lunch there too the next day for just $8/adult!! Crazy price compared to NYC.

- Water park: Fun! The lines were not long (the longest was probably 30 min wait time) so that wasn't bad. Some slides were like super fast, we even played couple times. The hot spring was soooo good. Like other reviewers said, yes, there are a lot of kids but since we like kids so it's okay.

Overall, the whole trip was fun and we'll definitely stay there again. But yes, it is just a little too pricey. But hey, since the water park is included, I guess that still save some $ on admissions.

Room Tip: - One side of all the rooms are facing outdoor pool area, the other side rooms are facing the parkin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time at GWL. We went for our son's 13th Bday. It is a very nice place with many things to do, however everything you CAN do is not included in a 500.00/night stay except the water park and room. Everything is over priced! We even got the extended check out time and left early. My one year old loved it. If it was not so expensive I might go back but I would rather go elsewhere for the prices.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!