“Nice” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Great Wolf Drive, Scotrun, PA 18355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Kids love, love, love the water park. However I couldn't get a decent cup of coffee until after 7am. The food is terrible in the hotel, if you want a good meal you have to drive! Arcade is a scam. Be prepared to spend tons of money to win dollar store items!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We just got back from a two night stay here and had a great time. Most of the reviews on here are on target so I just added some helpful hints:

- We stayed Sun-Tues. We went with these days in hopes of lower crowds. It was still crazy crowded but the place is well equipped to deal with these and we never felt crowded in or had to wait in line excessively. Also, I'd say a 2 night trip is perfect with arriving in the afternoon the first day and using late check out on the departure date. We were able to get our fill of everything there, not get bored and not hit the wallet too much.

- As suggested in previous reviews, bring food. I focused on breakfast, snacks and drinks and that worked perfect. We ate lunch at the bar and grille in the lobby and the prices were reasonable ($5 kids meal and $11 adult). Normal pub fare food. The food in the waterpark did seem to have a hike in price ($8 kids meal). Honestly, I used lunch as a good break in the day where we dried off and got some down time. Plus, I thought it was kind of weird to be eating in the park... it's not like your drying in the sun while eating... everything is wet in there. We never ate at the buffet and decided to get the 'Hungry as a Wolf Pizza' both nights. Reasonably priced ($11 large cheese) and not so bad NY style. We were going to eat out the second night but we chose some more down time before heading off for more activities or the nighttime show.

- Chairs/tables were hard to come by in the park but unless you have someone who needs the space (mommy with a baby, plan to eat, etc.), it's really unnecessary. Just throw your bag on top of the lockers and go have fun. The first day we got down there around 10 and everything seemed full. However, the second day we got down there at 9:30 and there was still plenty to be found. The bar area in the back seemed the last to be open.

- My son is only 5 so we didn't hit any of the larger slides but he loved all the kiddie ones they had. I'd suggest to the parents of newbies (2-3 yrs.) to have them start with the blue slide - there is a landing at the end so they naturally stop before the water. Ironically, the first slide you come to in the kid area (the orange one) is by far the fastest. I would avoid that one for the first timers.

- My son's favorite part was Magic Quest. I hadn't even gotten a chance to tell him about it when he spotted the store where you buy the wand and game. He's at the age where he loves magic, knights and all that stuff so this was his go-to activity when we weren't in the park. Be ready for sticker shock though with the wands being about $17, a special topper $17 and the game $20. But it was really well worth it in the end, he carried that wand with him everywhere. There's a bunch a quests they can do and they last about 30 mins each so it's a great filler (FYI, the book they give you tells you everything you need to know).

- The putt-putt was a fun short activity at $5 pp. It was only 9 holes but fun to see all the glow in the dark stuff. The arcade was your basic arcade - would suggest playing a more expensive game if you want your little one to get a prize with tickets. The good (basic arcade) prizes started at around 100 tickets. We also peaked into the "Club" room and it seemed nice in there (and quiet) - you can paint t-shirts, statues, etc. for a price. Think this would be good for little ones. We also got a dragon made in the station where they stuff it there for you (near front door). It was around $30 but note, the outfit is more. We also did the clock tower show and book time each night which was really cute with all the kids in their PJs. Just wish they sold the books (or the like) in the gift shop. That would be a great souvenir.

- Starbucks opens at 7 and if you're like me, my son still wakes up around that time. Grab a cup of coffee, donuts for the kids and enjoy breakfast in front of the fireplace in the lobby. It was so quiet and we felt like we had the place to ourselves.

- We had a kid's cabin room and found it to be sufficient. Didn't see any wear and tear previously reported. However, the sink water pressure was a joke and my back did hurt from the beds. Also, we did hear lots of running around above us at night but there is a curfew and we really were so tired from the day it didn't bother us. So overall, happy campers.

- Staff was great - really made my son feel special. The lifeguards were very attentive as well - they strictly enforce the rules so there wasn't any unruly kids splashing around or horse playing.

- My only grip was the check in. First, not sure what the online check in does; you still have to wait in line. Second, our room was not available until 5 when check in was at 4 (and we got there at 2). If the room wasn't ready until an hour after check in, does that mean we get to stay an hour after check out? Well, the answer was no. Given we lost an hour, I asked if I could get a discount on my late check out charge. Of course the answer was no. I didn't argue as I'm sure they'd say check in "starts" at 4. Given that logic, my check out can "start" at 11 and I'll stay as long as I want.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Middletown, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place is really for kids and not at all for the parents. If you are a kid that waterpark seems HUGE, as an adult it feels cramped. If you are kid who cares what the food tastes like, as an adult you would like at least one descent meal. If you are a kid who cares how much things cost you don't have a job, as an adult it is just painful to pay through the nose for a game, magic wand and a doodad on the magic wand that does nothing. If you are kid who cares if the changing room in the waterpark is a germie nightmare, as an adult you are just grossed out beyond belief. If you are a kid who cares if the pool towels are the size of a dishrag because you still fit in them, as an adult it barely dries one arm. I could go on, but you get the idea. You go because you really really love your kids and want them to be entertain for a weekend. But don't go for any other reason.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Scotrun hotels

Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We recently stayed one night at the resort with a very large group,approx 50 families. Because of the amount of people we got a great deal on the nightly rate, we checked in on a Sunday. We arrived at 12:15 and the check-in line was fairly long but moved quickly. The woman who checked me in was very friendly. It was our first time to the resort so we checked out the lodge for a little while then went to the water park. My kids (10 and 8) had a ball from the moment they walked through the doors. There were lifeguards everywhere so I felt safe with them going off on their own.
We opted to eat dinner off the resort to save a few bucks as everything was so overpriced at the hotel. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable but, as some others mentioned, the walls were very thin. Our room was on the third floor at the top end of the hallway closer to the main lobby. There was a stairwell right near our room that directed kids to another area of MagicQuest. While there is a "hibernation" period which begins at 11, kids were running up and down the steps up until 11:00.
We decided to eat at the breakfast buffet Monday morning. There are no a-la-cart options and the buffet was very expensive, $15.00 for adults and $9.00 for the kids. My husband does not usually eat a lot for breakfast and my older son is very picky so they chose not to eat. I brought Cheerios for my son and the waitress told me to get a bowl and milk from the buffet at no charge. My younger son and I ate the buffet. While we enjoyed it, it was too much food to eat right before swimming and at the price, I wasn't about to just have yogurt!!!!
We arrived at the water-park around 9:30 (it opens at 9) and there was not one table or chair to be found. There were towels on every possible chair and table!! After circling the park for 15 minutes, I found one chair that was free. Basically I had one chair for 4 people to share all day!!! The lines for the slides were HUGE and we waited about 45 minutes to go on one. We spent about 4 hours in the park before we decided to head home. Towards the end of the day, my younger son and I started coughing terribly and I felt that I couldn't breath due to the amount of chlorine in the air.
The staff at the resort was very friendly and accommodating. Since we were only there one night, we didn't really have time to do too much, but there is definitely A LOT to keep the kids occupied. The nightly activities were geared towards a younger crowd though
Despite the few negatives that I mentioned, overall we really enjoyed our stay and we have already planned a trip over the Summer; they also have an outdoor pool for warmer weather.
Check out the FAQ portion of their website for some good tips....

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This place delivers... but be prepared to spend spend spend!
with something for kids of every age this place is a winner. they deliver non stop activities and fun options. The food variety isn't great but the rooms are equipt with fridge and microwave so planning ahead would be better the next time we go but all in all this place was clean and a well oiled machine!

Ehrwald, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was our first trip to Great Wolf Lodge and we were very pleased with every aspect of the trip. We have two year old twins and a seven year old and the place offered enough amenities to keep all three of them busy with fun filled activities throughout our 3 day stay. The size of the waterpark is simply amazing for an indoor park. There is enough to do in there to keep kids busy for a week. It is well designed and laid out. The designated toddler areas were a big hit for the twins with small slides, water cannons, basketball hoops, etc. our 7 year old even enjoyed that area. The wave pool was a big hit as was the lazy river. Outside of the waterpark we enjoyed bowling, cub club, and the arcade. The staff made you feel like you were in disney world. The kid's suite with queen, single, and bunk beds was perfect for our family of 5. I would highly recommend this place and will definitely return for another stay. Money well spent.

Pro's: waterpark, arcade, guest level of service, cleanliness
Con's: rooms are a bit noisy, food offering is limited (pizza or buffet)

Horseheads, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This resort is geared for and does a wonderful job of catering to kids. As can be expected it is very, very pricey. My total cost for a 2 night stay was around $1200.00. However, I expected this; and it is only an annual event so I can live with it (not sure how much longer with the economy though!). Anyway, I loved the waterpark; yes the lines were long (I noticed though that the last hour of operation the lines diminished quite quickly and there were few people left) and there are other minor issues with crowding and food, etc. However, the lifeguards were good and I completely agree with the saying on the back of the shirt that states: "When your child is in the water you should be too!" I have to admit that the lifeguards were very observant and maintained order in the park. the only other issue I had was that the directions to the rides are not very clear. When you reach the top of the stairway to the top of the ride; it is not clear as to which ride you can go. My kids and I were re-directed a few times until we finally figured out as to which ride we were waiting. Anyway, I can live with this and otherwise I thought the water park was fine.

Now for the room. I had the room that possessed the loft and fire place. Upon entry the room was not very clean. We found a used band-aid on the floor and some of the cups at the sink were not clean. The room seemed well worn and realistically was no better than a typical "well used" Holiday Inn or Days Inn. The fireplace did not work well at all and the carpet and furniture definitely had "seen better days". I know I am echoing a typical sentiment and the room certainly appeared much larger when I viewed it on-line. The room did seem to be cramped (after all of our "stuff" was in it) and I thought that there would be more space in the room; especially since the place is geared towards families. In my opinion the price for the room was not worth it. Now that I know better; if I do return, I'll reconsider this type of room.

I'm not at all picky about food or beverage and I'm essentially satisfied with a sandwich, so no complaints here about the food. I do agree with others that you are better off going elsewhere for more reasonable prices. The buffet wasn't all that bad; it was however, costly. Be prepared to empty your wallet (or "heat up" your credit card!) for a family of four. Again, you may want to go elsewhere for more reasonable pricing.

I sleep like a log; and I enjoy camping so I am indifferent to the noise issues and sleep quality. Please know that there is a starbucks; however, they open promptly at 8:00 (I think), and there is a line waiting for coffee. I waited about twenty minutes for coffee each morning.

The arcade is a typical money pit. It is crowded and be careful because some of the games do not work properly. As can be expected; one must obtain literally thousands of "points" for any worthwhile prize. I was lucky enough to "hit" 1000 points on one of the games so I could contribute to a better prize for my kids. Think of this place as a "Chucky Cheese" on steroids; including the cost! The minature golf is terrible, it is "glow in the dark" however, one can tell that, as an afterthought, it was essentially "shoe horned" into a small room. There is no challenge whatsoever, and all of the putting is performed on flat indoor/outdoor carpeting - no hills, no challenging obstacles, no windmills, etc. The bowling is fun; however, it is crowded all day long - get there early or you will wait most of the day. I enjoy the outdoors so I walked around the property perimeter each morning. There was actually a flock of turkeys in the wooded area that surrounds the lodge. This was nice to see and I enjoyed being outside even though it was quite cold. I would recommed to the managment company to develop a walking/hiking trail in the woods surrounding the property.

Overall a good trip for a "first timer". The waterpark was actually more than I expected. The lodge itself no so much. A great place to take the kids, just make sure you are prepared to dish out a substantial amount of cash (or "charge up" your credit card). By the way; the small diner outside of the entrance (Scotrun diner) is actually very good and I wholeheartedly recommend it for breakfast.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!