“I can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars

Great Wolf Lodge
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1 Great Wolf Drive, Scotrun, PA 18355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Scotrun
Millville, New Jersey
“I can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

My parents (Nona and Pops to my kids!) took our family here to spend some time with their Grandchildren for the weekend. Everyone had a blast! I wish this place was around when I was a kid, I would have had a ball! I have an 8 year old and a 3 month old and beleive it or not, everything ran smoothly. We wanted to go here for the indoor water park. The heat and the sun are too much for the baby to be in all day, making vacationing difficult this summer. Having our fun indoors was awesome! The water park was much better than I was expecting. The slides were great and there were plenty of activities like the fun house for my 8 year old to run around in if we weren't able to go on a slide with her. Plus with the water park being part of the hotel, I was able to go back and forth to the room with the baby as needed. They have these fantastic wrist bands that work as a room key and credit card (adults only!) so you don't have to worry about carrying these items with you to the park. The outdoor pool had arts and crafts set up which was a nice change of pace when the 8 year old was getting tuckered out in the water. The lobby of the hotel does story time at night and the animated charachters in the clock tower come to life and do a quick show. There is a starbucks and a candy shop right in the lobby as well. We used the public bathrooms a few times in the lobby and the waterpark with the baby and everything was clean every time. The hotel also has a game called MagiQuest. You purchase a magic wand and in each hallway of the hotel the kids can use their wand to animate the pictures, gems, trees, etc. Each thing they animate sends them to their next spot, sort of like a treasure hunt. It is a very safe place and we noticed alot of the older kids playing the game with their siblings and the parents relaxing in the hallway lounges. There is a nice big arcade and two spas; one for kids and one for adults. We only stayed two days so we didn't get to use the spa but we will when we return. The buffet there is a bit expensive but we still enjoyed our breakfast. There is an ice cream parlor right in the hotel as well and there are plenty of local places that deliver less expensive fare. There are also plenty of chains close by that are family friendly like Red Robin and Friendly's but you really don't need to leave the hotel unless you want to. We did one day for a few hours to outlet shop. The outlets are close by and have an enormous selection of stores. Our room itself at the hotel was great as well. We selected a loft and my husband and I stayed downstairs with the kids while my parents stayed upstairs with their own half bath. The hotel also provided a name brand pack & play for the baby. The toiletries provided were also great! The adults received Vanilla and the kids received bubble gum scented. Our room also had a fireplace, balcony overlloking the pool, living room area, and kitchenette.

Room Tip: If you prefer peace and quiet before 10PM, ask for a room away from the stairwell
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Turkish first
Hollister, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

My family and I loved GWL in the poconos. We always go in the winter and go skiing right around the corner from there! The waterpark is huge and its so clean and nice. You feel like your at home! Except your not!! Theres so many things to do here and people of every age will love it! My favorite thing to do is get breakfast and go to the waterpark! Go in the wave pool and the huge new blue slide they're amazing! Then grab some ice cream, some lunch and head over to the spa! FABULOUS!

Room Tip: Try for one on the third floor, most convienent!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Just got back from GWL in PA. We checked in at 4:00 - and had to ask the oblivious desk staff to repeat herself a few times because the lobby was so noisy I couldn't hear her! We were placed in a room that was at the very far end of a wing - quite a schlep every time we went back and forth from the room. Ugh! This only encouraged our 8 year old to run up and down the corridor with all of the other thousands of kids in the hallways!

The indoor waterpark doubles as a sauna...you will nor know whether the wetness on your brow is from the attractions or your sweat! At any given time, at least one major attraction (water ride or wave pool) were not functioning. Disappointing. The lifeguards were all disinterested teens who could either care less or were whistle happy. The towels were threadbare and coarse.

The restaurants, vending machines, and other services were way overpriced! Breakfast for two adults and kids was $68.00! We were there for three nights and were glad to find reasonable restaurants in the area. The kids were annoyed that we had to leave the resorts for meals, but the options at the GWL were unrealistic.

Most of the waterpark staff were teenagers and acted as if you were annoying them when you asked questions...

The entire resort was way too loud, kids ran over you everywhere, and many parents used the indoor venue as an excuse to let their kuds run free.

Not impressed!

• Stayed June 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

We just got home from Great Wolf today and our trip was near perfection. We are a family of 5. Three cgildren ages 13, 6 and 3. It's very hard for us to find a place to vacation that's fun for everyone. It's even harder finding a place thats a drivable distance from where we live (just outside NYC). Great Wolf had it all. My teenager loved magiquest and the teen night club. The water rollercoasters were AWESOME. My younger children also enjoyed magiquest. they didn't play the game as much as they just ran around making things light up. The water park was large, clean and friendly. Food was pricey but the place was well staffed and fun. There is a grocery store about a mile away. Rooms come with a microwave and fridge. So for $80 I bought enough food and alcohol to keep us well fed and happy for our 3 day visit. Those are the pros.

Now for the cons: We were last a GWL about 3.5 years ago. The place is really beginning to show some wear and tear. Nothing terrible but the wear is there. We had the kids cabin suite. A giant chunck of wall paper was torn from the wall near the top bunk. The mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable and there were several loose tiles in our bathroom. The turn table in our microwave onky turned when it wanted to. Thats the worst of what we experienced.

Oh, there are a few more pros that I forgot to add. We were there just before july 4th weekend and it wasn't too crowded. The arcade was huge and fun. There were enough games and activities to keep my entire gang busy. My younger children really enjoyed the cub club. They just wanted to color so they sat and colored for more than an hour. The space was bright and pleasent.

Last but CERTAINLY not least, there is an outlet mall down the street. The shopping at the outlet mall was simply not to be believed!!! SO MANY good deals!!! I'd go back to this resort again just to do more shopping at that mall! (and i usually hate malls)

Room Tip: Ask about a returning guest discount!
Aberdeen, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Another great stay at the great wolf lodge. This was my family’s second visit, and we enjoyed the park again. Our hotel room was nicely sized with a fridge and microwave. The cleaning staff was very good. Our view was not so great since we were on the first floor (pool entrance floor/basement.) It did mean we were quieter since we were away from the kids doing the magic quest. The pool area was nice and clean, although there is a general shortage of places to sit during the crowded time (11:00-3:00). Water is at an excellent temperature and the air temperature is a warm 84 degrees (so remember so drink lots of water.) The rides were fun. Lines remained moderate for the big ticket lines, but very short for the fun Alberta Falls. Kid’s hot tub was warm; adult hot tub was hot and quiet. We were slightly affected by the weather, since some slides were closed for 45-60 minutes during and after lightning storms. Life guards do an excellent job remaining focused on the water and customers. Even witnessed a rescue (strong back draft from the coyote canyon.) The food remained very good…find the secret pizza place that sells whole pizza’s at noon rather than pizza hut express. Rice crispy cookies were big and reasonably priced. Lots of restaurants in the local area for dinner away from the hotel. My family had some reactions to the chlorine in the water, so 2-3 days was more than enough time at the park. Magic quest is a good multi-hour activity for anyone who is tired of swimming….but plan to spend about $35 per child with wand and activation. We were allowed to check in around 11am for the water park, and got into our hotel room by 3:30. Did not try the teen activities. Meet us there next year.

Nazareth, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

My family of four went to Great Wolf Lodge (Poconos) for our daughter's birthday. With the price tag for a one-night stay in the Summer, I expected much more in service, quality and amenities.

Check-In
Got to the Lodge around 1:30. First surprise, no valet parking. It's all self parking with minimal bell service available. While the lack of valet isn't a big deal by itself, it was a sign of things to come.

There was a 30-minute line for check-in. The front desk agent was perfunctory and lacking any "soft skills" to make us feel like we were more than just a number coming through the hotel. On the plus side, the room was ready and we were able to get to it right away.

Make sure you take note of and bring the credit card you used for making the deposit - they are serious about needing that card at check in.

Rooms
The room was clean, but on the small side. The kids loved their "cabin" with bunk bed and another single bed. Unfortunately, their TV menu didn't work, so they couldn't watch movies or play Nintendo. I guess I should thank management for saving me that money.

The rest of the room was minimal. The full-sized bed (not queen, as advertised) was lumpy and lacking pillows. The couch was unsittable - pillows and arms caved in. The TV was small and not watchable from the bed. The AC was extremely loud - it was difficult to have a conversation when it was on.

Waterpark
The idea of an indoor waterpark is very cool and probably great to go to in the middle of winter. On an 85 degree day, I missed the sun and heat to warm up after riding the rides. The scale of the park is about 1/3 to half the size of a regular waterpark (CamelBeach/Dorney). Throughout the stay, I just kept feeling the waterpark could be so much more. The lifeguards were disinterested at best and slow to respond to guests' needs. I found a missing boy crying in the middle of everything. Three lifeguards passed him before I helped him out and it took close to 10 for anyone in any supervisory position to get to us and start helping him find his parent. And the supervisor seemed more annoyed than concerned at being pulled away from his conversation with a "hot" guest.

The ride lines were minimal, which was very nice. But the tubes needed for them were half full of air, which led to some safety concerns. I'd recommend bringing your own towels; the ones available were small and threadbare.

Go early and get a chair or table - by 2:00 p.m., all were taken and there isn't a dry spot on the floor to put your towels and coverups.

Arcade
Since this is where the kids spent most of their time (they were bored with the waterpark after an hour or so), I wish there had been more to it. A number of the games just ate tokens, others were out of service altogether. The games themselves were older and nothing spectacular or new, technology wise.

MagiQuest
The allure of this astounds me. It cost a minimum of $30 to get your child geared up for this game, which amounts to them running around the hotel and waving a wand at various outdated props. The amazing promotional video for the game on the website clearly oversstates what the game actually offers. Again, it was good for an hour or two of entertainment, but not worth the $30 invested in it. However, since all the kids in the hotel are doing it, you may want to set the boundaries up front to avoid the begging and pleading of your child to join in.

The food is standard. "Room service" consists of calling for pizza and going to the first floor to pick it up and lug it back to your room. There are a good number of snacks to choose from in the snack bar, but they're pricey. We didn't eat at the only restaurant open during our stay - couldn't justify spending $62 (not including drinks) on a buffet of marginal looking food. We ordered the pizza package instead, which was passable for hotel pizza.

Add-on packages
Avoid them. The birthday package was NOT worth it. Decorating the room consisted of putting a poster on the door, and because we got our room earlier than four, the birthday package wasn't there when we got to the room. It was delivered a few hours later, lessening the impact and surprise. The family pizza offer was for pre-cooked personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut, not even the better pizza available via "room service."

All in all, the kids had a good time, but I couldn't get over the price tag of this one-night hotel stay for what I actually got. I could have spent the weekend in Wildwood or Seaside and gotten the same quality room, more activities and better food for a LOT less money.

We won't be coming back to Great Wolf Lodge, and I'd recommend looking elsewhere for a family trip or vacation. There are better values to be had.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Went to Great Wolf Lodge over Mother's Day weekend as a surprise from my family. Check in was a breeze. We were there before check-in time, gave them our cell phone # and within 20 minutes, our room was ready. Water park was terrific. Plenty of things for kids of all ages to do. My husband and I loved the higher thrill rides. We stayed on rides until after 8 and had brought picnic type food with us. Had our dinner in the room and then went down to the game room. A lot of games were out of order, but the prices were reasonable on the other games. Love the ambiance of the lodge. Very rustic feeling. We didn't eat there, so I can't rate the food. Rooms were a bit smaller than the pictures and a bit too rustic. But, we did have a wonderful time. We went to the water park the next morning and played for another few hours before heading home. The dryers in the bathrooms didn't work at all, so we left with wet bathing suits. The locker rooms are very small and no privacy unless you want to get dressed in a shower stall.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scotrun
The Inn at Pocono Manor
The Inn at Pocono Manor
#1 of 2 in Pocono Manor
4.0 of 5 stars 1,075 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Poconos Hotel
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsburg - Poconos
Staybridge Suites East Stroudsbu...
#3 of 9 in East Stroudsburg
Paradise Stream Resort
Paradise Stream Resort
#2 of 7 in Mount Pocono
3.5 of 5 stars 1,156 reviews

Been to Great Wolf Lodge? Share your experiences!