“Worth overnight stop - no longer!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Madison/Pittsburgh S.E. KOA

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ruffs Dale
Madison/Pittsburgh S.E. KOA
You added Madison/Pittsburgh S.E. KOA to your Saves list
764 Waltz Mill Road, Ruffs Dale, PA 15679   |
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Worth overnight stop - no longer!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This KOA is located quite a distance from the freeway. The entrance gate was broken and sites are not level, but there is a very nice dog run. The park was mostly empty with a few long-term campers (apparent construction workers from out of town) and a few overnighters including ourselves. For an overnight stay this park is fine. But if I were staying in the Pittsburgh area two or more days, then I would definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

There was a guy there big and muscular that helped me with anything i needed. He kept everything clean. Bathrooms were kept clean and cabins were cleaned good, i had a lot of fun there. Nice laundry room

• Stayed May 2013
High River
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this KOA while waiting repairs on our tow vehicle. It is quite a pretty park with lots of amenities which we did not use, but would be nice for families. The office staff are very helpful and friendly and access to the average size sights is good. However, the dust is awful. It is exacerbated by speeding RV's and vehicles driving continuously through the park. We requested a park attendant speak to one motorhome driver who was driving in at ridiculous speed and creating great clouds of dust. The driver obviously ignored him. Even though this is a nice park, they would have to control the dust and speed before we would ever consider returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New Bedford, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We are RV'ers and needed a place to stay while visiting friends closeby. Got caught here during Hurricane Sandy so spent 4 days waiting for better weather. It had the hookups we needed and there is a very nice laundry room. Main office features a large fireplace just off the laundry, so we made good use of that to enjoy a bottle of wine and read a book while the wind and rain continued. No walking trails but a pool and small pond area for summer use.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Please save yourself some time, money ($77 RIP OFF!) and chose another campground. The spots are close together and the overall state of the campground is...unkept. We were driving back to the mid west and we decided to break up our drive and camp overnight here over Labor Day weekend. Mistake! Playground was overgrown with weeds and paint was peeling off of everything. The picnic area was undesirable. The blow up bounce house was ripped and mold was growing on it.

Keep driving and by pass this disgusting KOA.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was our first stay at a KOA. I knew before going that it was one of the smaller KOAs. We went Mon-Weds to which was nice because we practically had the place to ourselves. Every thing was very clean, bathrooms, no litter, they have garbage pick ups (and firewood drop offs). The staff was very friendly and down-to-earth this includes the owner himself (lives there, if any issues he is right there). There was a lot of shade in the camping areas (exception with the pull through) and surprisingly very quiet considering it is less than a mile from 70. We stayed in the smaller one-room Kabin it was nice even though it wasn’t the biggest and most luxurious.The mattresses are horrible but better than sleeping on the ground. The Kabin sites to a nice surprise has a fire-ring AND a grill (tent sites no grill). Out of the lodge they have info boards for area attractions, board games, puzzles, book barrowing, bocce, horse shoes, rowboat and canoe rentals ($5 an hour) and quarter court hoop basket ball. There is a small pool (3-5ft), basic play ground and the very popular bounce pillow. The pillow is a very simple concept but the kids love and wear themselves out on it. It is more physically demanding than a trampoline because the pillow has no “give” when you bounce like a trampoline does. It’s a nice calf work out.
I came with a dog; they are very accommodating when it comes to pets. Just as long as you clean up after, keep on the leash, and don’t leave them alone. They don’t mind them at all. There was a fenced in area for off-leash play which was great because I brought an energetic puppy. There is two yards (double gates) so if one is occupied there is another; I had no wait because we went during the week. Although a doggie water fountain or at least water spigot close would be nice. I didn’t take advantage of the doggie trail so I cannot speak for that.

Even though most of the Kamp ground doesn’t use the restrooms, I still think it needs more restrooms that are NOT uphill, and closed for periods of time (hour or 2 for cleaning). The only other bathroom is at the lodge and that is a HIKE from the restroom up-- yet, ANOTHER hill. So if you have a young child that has already waited to the last minute…well be prepared to use the showers.
There is a lake there and there has been pictures of good catches made but our experience has been blue gill. So if fishing is your main reason to go there…it is not the best place to fish.
The WIFI was very weak (1kbps) from our cabin. The transmitter is near the pool but I hadn’t tried that. The Kamp store selections are great. The prices for the little stuff are reasonable but don’t forget necessities (we forgot charcoal and lighter fluid) because that will cost you.

In a nutshell, it is not bad for a smaller campground. If you can appreciate smaller things and don’t mind relaxing or taking it easy, this place is for you. I’ll be going back, probably on a weekend to take advantage of the planned activities. But even with out those, it was still a nice trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Wabash, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

I am usually an easy going person and normally don't complain about much but this place put me over the edge. I teach 7th grade and every summer our science club travels to different areas of the country, camps, and learns about the cultural and scientific importance of that particular area. We usually bring a large group and therefore receive a group rate. All other KOA's we stayed at in the past gave us a group rate and were very pleasant so I expected the same when I called to make reservations. However when I called this KOA, I was greeted with "no" after "no". They do not offer special group rates and won't even consider it. They must be so well off that they would turn away large groups. I didn't major in business but I do have some common sense. Why turn away a chance at making money? Sorry KOA SE Pittsburg you will not be getting any business from me and I will make sure that I pass along this review to as many people as possible.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Madison/Pittsburgh S.E. KOA? Share your experiences!