“Divided Opinions...” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Huntingtown, MD
“Divided Opinions...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and children loved the room and property, I was ambivalent....

It began with our drive into the hotel. As we were driving in, we had to cross over a little bridge where there was roadwork/construction. It was clearly marked as a one-way road, but for some reason, another vehicle was coming straight at us. Both of us slammed on our brakes, and we only barely managed to avoid a head-on collision. The other vehicle reversed course backward down the road.

Once we got into the hotel for check-in, the staff were wonderful, and commiserated with us over the road situation. We observed the Euro/modern look of the lobby, breakfast area, and elevators. When we arrived on our floor, we once again observed the Euro/modern look of the room.

At this point, opinions among my family diverged. My wife and children loved the Euro/modern look of the room. The enjoyed the aesthetic, the frosted glass separating the 'living room/office' section of the room from the bedroom area, as well as the sliding door between the toilet and the bedroom, and the sliding door between the shower area and the bedroom area. My 23/21/11 year old children all thought it was "really cool".

As someone who has traveled extensively throughout North America and Europe, the room really struck me as similar to many of the modern hotels in Europe, which I assume was the intent. There, space is really a premium, and it is my assumption that the designers attempted to maximize utilization of space in this hotel.

As the reviewer on March 18, 2013 noted, the frosted glass separating the 'office' area from the bedroom area did not work effectively. After the family went to bed, I still had work to do, but the light coming through the frosted glass kept them awake. Despite the "cool" factor of the sliding doors between the toilet and the bedroom area, they were a bit noisy to use in the dark.

Some of the things we all agreed on was that the bedding in our room was fantastic and very comfortable, and the room and all the spaces we observed in the hotel were very clean.

While we were in town for a youth lacrosse tournament in March, the temperatures had dipped down suddenly, after having been very warm all week. We found the thermostat controls worked flawlessly, and we were able to easily adjust the temperature so we were always comfortable > quite a feat when my wife gets cold very easily, and I get hot very easily.

Unfortunately, we forgot to pack swimsuits, but we noticed tons of families taking advantage of the pool. We didn't use it, but it looked fun.

The breakfast bar in the morning was well-stocked, with everything a visitor could want. All of the hot food (bacon, sausage, eggs, etc.) was well-prepared [not always the case in these types of hotels] and everyone loved the do-it-yourself waffles.

Finally, the service staff were excellent throughout. No complaints whatsoever in that department.

Overall, I give the property 4 out of 5 stars. The main thing to consider when deciding between this hotel and others in the area are whether you prefer the Euro/modern aesthetic and a more traditional/classic one. If you and/or those you travel with enjoy the Euro look, you will love it. If you are traveling by yourself on business, this is a great property.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Southern Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We stayed here two nights on a trip to Philadelphia. We rented a car and it was easy enough to drive to and from the city center. We had a two queen room for 4 adults and one child. There was enough space for us with the use of the pull out sofa. There is little privacy with the layout of the room, but we were family so it was not an issue for us.
I was a fan of the space saving idea of the sliding doors, but not a fan of how poorly they functioned. Took way too much effort to open and close them, and they were noise when used.
The bathtub did not plug/hold water, so that was disappointing.
We used the pool once and if it were not for my excited child I would have opted to not get in at all. The pool was dirty looking and had "stuff" floating along the bottom. I was also disappointed that there was no hot tub available. Pool was a comfortable temperature, but it still wasn't something I really wanted to get into.
Staff was very friendly at every interaction.
Overall, it is a nice hotel for the price. Beds are typical Marriott beds of the level of chain, which I find comfortable. Room felt clean and newer. Just a few small little things which some travelers may not even have as an issue for them. For the most part I would recommend it.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We recently stayed at this lovely pristine hotel for a wedding. We did not realize how close it is to the Philadelphia airport. We will definitely stay here in the future when we fly out of the Philadelphia airport. The rooms are absolutely magnificent; a modern design with a layout that provides privacy and comfort for two or three people staying in the room. The lobby is welcoming; there is a bar open in the evenings only. The sell light snacks in the lobby with nutritious choices along with decadent ones. MOST important was the most customer friendly and responsive hotel staff that I have experienced at an airport hotel. I made sure that I gave the manager a feedback card to acknowlege the care that they put into excellent customer service. From the front desk to the housekeeping staff, everyone was accomodating. Will DEFINITELY be back!!

Room Tip: The hotel is 5 stories high. We were on the 5th floor and it took no time at all in the elevators to...
Claremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I loved this place! This hotel has the benefit of being new - clean, fresh, stylish - but they've taken it several steps further. The SpringHill folk seemed to have really paid attention to today's needs for accommodation. All the little annoyances I've had with other hotels over the years did not exist here. They've thought of everything: nifty work station with plenty of outlets to charge our many gadgets, plenty of horizontal spaces to lay out a suitcase, microwave and mini fridge, reading lights on BOTH sides of the two beds, nightstands on BOTH sides of the two beds, and - best of all - TWO bathrooms!! One standard one with spacious sink area and tub/shower, the other with a toilet and small sink. Genius!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SpringhillPHL, Manager at SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Scooz47,

Your compliments & high praise are greatly appreciated! As you noted, we strived to rid you of those oh so inconvenient annoyances that you may experience while travelling elsewhere. Our goal is to provide you with a warm hospitable staff, clean fresh room, & of course a modern flare. We love when our guests take notice of things such as: the numerous receptacles in each room, the comfort of having a microwave & minifridge right within reach and of course the privacy and convenience of having 2 separate bathrooms. While you may call this "genius", we simply call it, providing our guests with exactly what they deserve: an enjoyable stay. We look forward to your future visits, if you should you need anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me via the information below.

Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Ants in room and room sprayed with our belongs in even though I had asked to please wait until we return to change rooms. My 85 year old Mother was with us. My husband had a could and I a low immune system. We had to back belongs in this strong odor. New room Air Conditioner was broke. Do not understand why new room was NOT checked prior to our relocation.

Micheledal,

I remember this situation, & in fact I spoke with you in reference to the ants that were in your room. I greatly apologize for the inconvenience, & I am in high hopes that this does not deter you from staying with us in the future. Instances such as these are not common at our property, as we strive to provide each guest with an enjoyable stay. Even when we face mishaps such as those that you experienced we try our hardest to make it right; and in personally handling your situation I can confidently say that we definitely tried to do our best. Once again, I apologize and as always we look forward to serving your future needs. Should you have any questions comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed here a few months ago, and really looked forward to staying at another SpringHill Suites because it's a fun brand. With really cool rooms. I did have one small issue here, with regards to parking since it was an airport hotel, I booked a special, which included parking, so I should not have been charged, but I was charged anyway. When I got back to pick up my car they told me to come back and discuss it. I never bothered. But be careful when you book specials, here. Also it's a little further than desired for an airport hotel, and for pick up they will not leave until you have your bags and are waiting outside, it took close to 30 - 45 minutes for them to pick me up (where I had to wait outside alone at 11 PM at night).... I loved the property but they need some service training for their policies - because its run like a small business.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
SpringhillPHL, Manager at SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
TravelMan8384,

Thank you for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated; while we were able to successfully provide you with an enjoyable stay overall, it seems that there were a couple of areas where we might have lacked. Due to the fact that (as you mentioned), you did book our park & fly package, you should not have been charged an additional fee, and I greatly apologize for the inconvenience. As for our shuttle, yes, we do prefer that our guests have already gone through baggage claim before they contact us for a pick up. However, this does not excuse the fact that you waited 40 minutes for a pick up at the airport; I can assure you that we strive to provide prompt service to each of our guests. I am in high hopes that this does not deter you from staying with us in the future, should you have any further questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Coal Township, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We've stayed at the Spring Hill Suites 3 time since they opened a year ago. About 4 miles from Philly Airport. Spring Hill Suites is off of exit 8 on 95 and Philly Airport is exit 12 B. Free airport shuttle, hotel parking, breakfast, and wi-fi. What else do you need? They offer fly and go packages when flying from Philly. Room includes a microwave, fridge, coffee maker... Everything you need for business or pleasure. My friends weren't crazy about the room's layout but I didn't find any problems with it. Great staff. Small bar but at least they have one!

Room Tip: Good option when flying in and out of Philly
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
SpringhillPHL, Manager at SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
garbakup,

Your positive feedback is much appreciated; it's loyal guests like you who let us know that we are truly successful when it comes to providing a truly enjoyable stay. We strive to offer "everything you need for business or pleasure", which is what makes us stand out amongst others. It seems that you were able to take advantage of each of the amenities that we provide & in turn you were left extremely satisfied. Or as you put it, with a feeling of “what else do you need?", again we are delightfully pleased to see that you chose our property yet again for your stay & we look forward to serving you in the future. Should you need anything please feel free to contact me!

F:610-915-6606

Been to SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Airport/Ridley Park? Share your experiences!