“Old, but clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Reading
Owings Mills, Maryland
“Old, but clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed here one night over this past weekend, but I was a little leery after reading the mixed reviews for this hotel. You can tell that the hotel is housed in a very old/historic building, but I must say that my room, along with the common areas, were very clean. I was kind of looking to scrutinize, but the hotel lived up to the Wyndham reputation in my eyes. Also, my room (king, non-smoking) and bathroom were relatively large. I'd most likely stay here again.

Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We purchased two rooms at this hotel on Priceline. Unfortunately, Priceline listed this hotel as 3.5 stars in the bid process and we were stuck with it. This hotel is located in an unsavory part of Reading, the whole aged building, including the main entrance and hallways are dimly lit. The carpeting and upholstery is stained. The pillow cases in our bedroom had dirt marks on them. The whole place smelled musty. The sinks in both of our rooms did not drain. In a word = Dump!

I have listed the service as a three because there was a nice young woman at the front desk, but beyond that I would suggest to all that you avoid this hotel. The Wyndham chain has their work cut out for them...if they even care.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel in Reading, Pa for our annual religous convention. What a charming hotel! The customer service was absolutely the best I've encountered in a long time!! They made us feel so welcome, like we were old friends.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Burke, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

So-so hotel. Smelled bad in my Son's room. Ate twice in the resturant--sort of. Dinner Breakfast was the worst I have ever had. Ordered at 8:10 am, my eggs benedict came cold with no sauce. My son and daughter-in-law's breakfast still wasn't brought out by 9:00 AM when we cancelled the order and left--NEVER TO RETURN!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Havre de Grace, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

I really liked this hotel. We didn't have any of the problems that other people mentioned. Our room was not a suite, but it was a corner room on the 17th floor (room 1702) and it was clean, comfortable, very spacious, and super quiet. We slept well (there were three events going on downstairs...a high school graduation prom/party, a wedding, and some sort of reunion, none of which impacted our stay in the least). The room was bigger than I expected. The bed was comfortable and even the little round pillow on the bed had "BE WELL" stitched on it, which I thought was a nice touch. The linens were clean and smelled nice. The room smelled nice. The bathroom was spotless and large with a large shower/tub combo. The TV was a CRT but it worked well and had cable. I didn't even bother watching it. I enjoyed the view of the city in two directions both at night and in the morning.

The parking garage attached right to the hotel itself and I think it was only $2 to park overnight, so that was negligible.

The front staff were excellent. I got there at 11 pm and they called everywhere trying to find an open drugstore for me. Very helpful and friendly.

There were some worn spots on carpets/chairs, etc, a couple small stains and what not, but it was clean overall, and being as it's a historic hotel it was in much better shape than a lot of others of this ilk. If anyone has a bad experience, maybe ask to transfer to a higher floor. We had no mildew or cigarette smells at all. Windows were clean. Overall an excellent stay and I would book here again.

Before we left the next morning we had the breakfast buffet at the restaurant and it was good, as was the waitstaff that served us. Worth the $10 or so that it cost.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

I'd gotten the room via Priceline "name your own price" service, so even though I read bad reviews, I was basically stuck. First-- shame on Priceline for listing this as a 3.5 star. The once grand lobby is still architecurally interesting, but the rooms and halls are just plain dumpy. Everything smells like mildew and cigarettes. The windows have a sheet of plexiglass screwed over them, mine had dead bugs trapped between this and the window. Pray for no fires, because the guests'd be trapped!! Carpets are gross, the pattern is a hint that it is decades old, as are the stains throughout; my feet stuck to the floor. One part of the bathroom wallpaper was "fixed" w/ a thumbtack! The place is in a sketchy neighborhood (though, in fairness, most Reading neighborhoods are sketch), and there was no nightlife or points of interest nearby. I spent an extra $30 to upgrade to a suite, and was sorely disappointed with my decrepid rooms. Also a waste as my 13 y.o. son was freaked out by the "Shining" vibe this place gave off, so he did not want to be in a different room from me at any point. It's normal rates start at $109, when really it should be tracking w/ EconoLodge pricing.

There were a very few good things-- the beds were newer and comfortable. The man at the front desk, Nelson, was very helpful and courteous, and...well, that is it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Southeastern Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

I spent a night at the Abraham Lincoln as part of the Girlfriends Getaway package. Three friends and I stayed in one of their two-room suites. Stephanie, the front desk supervisor, was excellent to work with while planning our trip. She was very helpful and responsive to my phone calls and e-mails, and took great care of us once we were there.

The hotel itself is in a great location in the center of Reading. I would not venture too far from the hotel for a walk, but if you're driving to and from your destination it's fine. The attached parking garage is very convenient, and a discounted rate is available for hotel guests. The lobby is beautiful, and you just feel like you're someplace historic.

With four of us staying together, the suite was nice because we had the extra space of both a bedoom and living room area, as well as a refrigerator and large bathroom with the sink separated from the toilet and shower. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the True Blue Spa products provided in the bathroom were a nice touch. The only really negative thing I will say is that the hallway outside our room had a cooking/food smell. Maybe someone was just heating something in their in-room microwave that weekend. Other than that, the room was comfortable and clean.

The hotel had been specifically recommended to me by the person who told me about the Girlfriends Getaways, particularly for their breakfast offerings. The breakfast that was included with our package was actually your choice of almost anything on the menu. We each ordered a different meal (omelettes, skillet fritattas, etc.) and they were all delicious.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!