“A hotel that's trying, but has a big job.” 3 of 5 stars

The Abraham Lincoln Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 North Fifth Street, Reading, PA 19601   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Reading
New York
“A hotel that's trying, but has a big job.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

This is an odd hotel. Aspects are quite nice, such as the greeting on arrival. The size of my room was generous. The room was quiet and the bed and towels were new or newish. The problems? The renovation has its limits. The hotel hallways are institutional, without charm. The furniture in my room was in good shape, not worn, but it didn't really fit the room shape. The water flow in the shower was barely enough and the sink stopper would not work (a problem I find in all too many hotels). Despite the cold weather, I couldn't get the room temperature below 70 degrees. I And then there is the neighborhood. Although many of the buildings close by are charming and historicalWi, many are empty or with odd tenants. I certainly wasn't inclined to go for a walk in the neighborhood. The plate glass window in the next building had been broken overnight.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

Close knitt staff, clean rooms, great bar, excellent prices. Very freindly upon check in and check out. No hassle at all great parking facility. Been staying there once a week for over a year AAA.
Moshe

• Liked — clean and freindly
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pocono Mt., PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2008

We also found the hotel via a websearch while hunting for a place to stay after the Stevie Nicks concert at the Sovereign Center. We originally looked at a location a little further out but thought we'd take a shot at a place closer to the venue and I'm glad we did.

The staff was friendly and we were greeted warmly upon check in. The rooms were clean and the beds were beyond amazingly comfortable. The hotel itself was quiet. We ate in the bar and the food was fantastic. My husband recommends the puttanesca, and my pick was the Mediterranean burger. The bar was busy but we were in and out in time for the show.

Only downside is Reading isn't the same Reading I knew twenty years ago when I worked in town periodically. If you're staying at the hotel for a show at the Sovereign, make the walk with the rest of the folks who are attending the same show. I've spent time in NYC and Philly and felt more comfortable than on Penn St. in Reading.

• Liked — We wanted to sneak the bed and desk chair out with us! They were THAT comfortable!
  • Disliked — 5th St. and Penn St. are getting pretty seedy these days. Be careful at night.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Well, overall for the price we didn't think this place was bad given what you can find in the Reading area.

However, it has become apparent why it is so reasonable. First night, my car was broken into(see pictures), along with three others, and then just in walking in/out of the lobby during my stay, I hear that other guests have had their cars broken into as well on other nights. They did thousands of dollars of body/dash damage to my car, all to steal a $130 stereo, and satellite radio which can be deactivated, not to mention my prescription glasses which were broken. Its sad, but the hotel doesn't seem to care much, there are no security guards, and the garage cameras are apparently broken. With bums sleeping in the garage, empty liquor bottles abound, believe me, when I say its not worth it to stay here, for your own safety........

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
AbeLincolnHotel, General Manager at The Abraham Lincoln Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2008
The Hotel is very sorry for the isolated incident that occurred one evening in February with multiple guest vehicles in the adjacent Public Parking Garage. The City of Reading, Mayor's Office and Reading Parking Authority (who owns and operates the garage) was promptly notified by hotel staff and are immediately addressing the issue and corresponding directly with our hotel guests impacted by the situation.
reading
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

I did not stay at this hotel but frequently go to the restaurant and have also purchased overnight stays as wedding gifts. We are local to Reading and have always been proud of this beautiful historic hotel. The restaurant was always first class when it was a steakhouse but unfortunately our last visit to the now italian restaurant was terrible. We had reservations as we were going to a show. We stood at the door of the restaurant along with another couple waiting for a table for 20 minutes before the first couple was even acknowledged. We then watched in amazement when the waiter that seated them completely ignored us. We also found it amusing that a man in faded blue jeans with a set of keys hanging of his jeans was serving water. I imagine they must have had some serious staff issues that evening. 10 minutes later we had our first human contact. We informed this gentleman of our reservation 30 minutes prior but the last table had been given away so they sat us in a spare back room alone where our table was the only one set. We ordered drinks immediately as 30 minutes of our 2 hour dining time had already been wasted. After 15 minutes the waiter returned not with drinks but with a message that the bartender did not know how to make the drink I ordered. Washington apple martini made with crown royal instead of the traditional vodka was the request I made, not a request that should be impossible to fill. At that point we knew we were in trouble and ordered salads and main course, skipping the pasta course as we knew we would never get our food in time. Dessert was a goner from the get go. It was a wise decision as our cold salads arrived 30 minutes later. The food was very average. To top it all off a dead fly was floating in my water glass. I must say our waiter was a very nice man and was moving as fast as he could but the restaurant was grossly understaffed. We had a very amusing night and had to laugh at how bad our experience was. I hope this review will help you to improve your service as this was always one of our favorite places. We also noted that many patrons were reminding staff that they were going to a show that night so I am sure we were not alone in our experience.

• Liked — historic elegant hotel
  • Disliked — service in restaurant
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

This historic hotel was lovely. Spacious, clean, very modernized. Best showerhead of any hotel in which I've stayed. The staff was very accomodating. We were in town for a concert at the Sovereign Center, which is only a few blocks away. A couple of our friends parked their car in the hotel garage during the show and we only paid a $5 fee. The area itself isn't that appealing, but less than 5 minutes away are an outlet mall and lots of nice restaurants. The Pagoda overlooks all of Reading and it's a beautiful sight. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Liked — the proximity to the Sovereign Center and the spaciousness
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

Me and my partner had to go to Reading for a friends wedding.
Let me tell you, apart from the Japanese Pagoda there is nothing to see in Reading.

Nethertheless we spend 3 great days at the The Abraham Lincoln.

The Hotel is a beautiful Art Deco building. The room we had was a standard King room(17th Floor), it was huge, spacious bathroom with very nice quality complimentary products, water and coffee making facilities.

There is a little Gym on the Mezanine floor.
The bar and restaurant are nice too.

Finally, the staff is very friendly.

We had a great time and even if Reading is not very exciting West Reading is a very friendly town with loads of little shops and dinners.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Abraham Lincoln Hotel? Share your experiences!