“Not Top Notch!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 263 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: French, American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Opened in 1989, Dans Restaurant has been well know as one of the best restaurants in Reading, PA. Now located at 2444 Morgantown Road, Dans at Green Hills serves a contemporary American cuisine with a French influence. Our goal is to provide a fine dining experience that is an alternative to the traditional Berks County scene.
PA
“Not Top Notch!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went to Dan's expecting a great meal, with the understanding it would and has always been pricey! However, the meal, outside of the small favor offered by the chef, was just average! The risotto was flavorless and the double baked lobster, I had was destroyed. I will note: the manager was more than willing to offer an abundance of other selections. But, after waiting nearly an hour for dinner, I graciously declined. To top of the average food, there was an obnoxious pretentious group of people discussing politics! Yeah not my idea of a great atmosphere for dinner! Just sayin....

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

PA
“Ridiculously Overpriced - eat somewhere else”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I decided to try Dan's for Valentine's Day as we have never been there before. The food and service were very good but I cannot believe how overpriced it was. This is Berks County - not New York City! A small filet with a spoonful of mashed potatoes was $37 and that didn't even include a salad which was $10 extra. It wasn't even the best filet I've ever had which I was expecting at this ridiculous price. If you want to go out for a really nice dinner try Emily's instead - you can get a filet and a crab cake (including salad) for only $27. So overall - eat somewhere else unless you enjoy overpaying for food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
“Excellent Food, Atmosphere and Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife took me out to dinner here last night. It was our first visit here since the new owners took over several months ago. It's now called Dan's Green Hills Inn. Our reservations were for 7pm, and we were seated promptly in the main dining room, and the fireplace added a nice touch on thiis cold evening. My wife had the Sweet Potato Soup for an appetizer, and said although it was tasty, it was a little too sweet for her taste. I ordered the Duck Ravioli appetizer, and it was excellent. We both had the Filet Mignon with a couple of Diver Sea Scallops for our entre,medium, and both were prepared as requested. They were probably a 7 or 8 oz. cut, and were tender and flavorful. The Diver Scallops were exquisite.They were served with whipped potatoes, and a medley of green beans, baby carrots, and sugar snap peas...also delightful. For desert I just had vanilla icecream which was just so-so. My wife had the Dark Giardelli Chocolate Bread Pudding which was delightful. For drinks, my wife and I both had a Brandy Alexander. Then she had a glass of house merlot which was very good, while I had a ginger ale. Our server was very attentive, but not intrusive, and knew the food components very well. Our bill for the evening was $174.00, plus tip. I fell this was a lot, but then again, it is fine dining, and not Long Horn Steak House. For a special occassion, I would definitely return.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Great new location & service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

There was near panic when we learned that our favorite destination restaurant, DANS on Penn Street in Reading, was closing. Then the good news. They were just relocating. On our first opportunity we drove 48 miles from Bethlehem to see the new but very old place. It was beyond expectations! Just bigger and better. It is only a few more miles to get there but well worth the ride. As usual, my wife receives a customary hug from the owners. (no we are not related) We discovered the same great food and service that was always enjoyed at the old location but now the parking is right at the door. Upon leaving, Bill, an owner walks us to our car. We will continue to travel back to DANS whenever we can. We give it 10 stars out of 5! Reviewed by Robert Youst, formerly a Reading resident.

Visited October 2012
Mohnton, Pennsylvania, United States
“Fine dining gone terribly wrong!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have been eating at the Green Hills Inn on Rt 10 in Morgantown, PA for years and for at least the past 7 New Years Eves. We usually rave about the restaurant but apparently it is under new ownership and the service and portions were extremely disappointing. Bill Woolworth apparently purchased the establishment and it is now known as Dans of Green Hills. I posted a comment on their facebook page and I guess because it was not favorable it has now been removed. So here is what happened - Our New Years Eve reservation was at 8 pm we were seated within a few minutes but it took us over 20 minutes to get a glass of water and over 40 minutes for us to get out first drink. We did not have a full service of silverware on our table until 8:45. There wasn't any salt or pepper on the table. We were offered 1 roll a piece and when we each asked for another one we received it two courses later. Our first course was a shrimp and lobster bisque soup. We had so little soup in our bowl that we had to tilt it to get any soup on our spoon. The second course was Duck Ravioli - well that meant "1" tiny ravioli. Our salad which was the third course could have fit on a saucer with plenty of room to spare. For the main course we both had filet mignon with mashed potatoes and some vegetables. I didn't even know that I had potatoes on my plate until I picked up my steak. My husband ended up with 1/2 of a brussel sprout. We did not get our coffee until our dessert was finished. I was looking forward to a second cup of coffee but the owner starting clearing the table stating " sorry I don't mean to rush you guys but I have to". The tip was added to our bill automatically and there were only 2 people in our party. We would have made our unhappiness known on that night but whenever we were asked how things were they left before we had a chance to comment. The owner Bill Woolworth did respond and say that he apologized that things did not go as smoothly as he would have liked but then put the blame on the waitresses that he had hired from the former owners saying that they were not able to handle seating people and taking orders from people at the same time. Our waitress was not from the former restaurant and if she were we would have been treated properly. He told us that what he offered was a fine dining experience. We have eaten at our share of fine dining restaurants to know better. We have eaten at several Four Seasons Hotel restaurants including Toronto, Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Boston, and Palm Beach. We have been to Le Bec Fin, Mortons Steakhouse, and Ruth Chris just to name a few and have never been treated so poorly. He then stated that he had contacted me personally to resolve the matter and to send us a gift card and that I had left that part of the story out. He never contacted me. We don't usually complain and are very easy to please but we never get a night out without kids and when we do we expect it to be a good experience especially when it costs over $300!!!!! The food tasted good but we could have gone to Outback Steakhouse and had the same quality food but with much better service and at a much better price. A reputable establishment would have just admitted to the mistake and moved on,
not removed an unfavorable comment. The owner and the general manager either don't know or don't care about their clientelle.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
wwoolworth, Owner at Dans Restaurant, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
I did extend my personal apologies to this couple and subsequently mailed them a gift certificate. I just believe that folks may not understand that the Green Hills Inn failed for a reason, Unfortunately, on a night like New Years Eve we cannot offer ala carte dining and we must adhere to a seating time. The remainder of the year we encourage folks to take as much time as they wish to enjoy our lovely facility. We also learned that we must space it apart a little further.

I remain committed to ensuring a memorable experience, but I must balance that with ensuring our employees and long term customers can return to DANS for a longtime to come. We also are very committed to the many non-profits in this community and assisting them as much as we possibly can. We hope that if you read this you will know that we do care about our customers and the community we serve.

Thanks So Much - Bill Woolworth, Co-Owner