“Not as bad as expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn

You added Rodeway Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2545 N 5th St Hwy, Reading, PA 19605 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Reading
RCurr
“Not as bad as expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2007

I read the reviews here but decided to stay here mainly because the prices were better but also because I already had had bad experiences at some of the other places in Reading.

I brought up what I had read here during check in and was assured that as long as I stayed in the “front” building, there was nothing to worry about. I will say that it wasn’t the greatest motel that I had stayed at in my life but it was also much better than what I have expected after reading these reviews.

The room was clean and the staff was helpful.

I would also say to anyone visiting Reading that they should not expect much out of any of the motels there as Reading is a pretty tough area in general. I have stayed at most of the places in the area and feel that this was a as nice (or better) a place as any other (outside of my stay at the Sheraton which was pretty nice but much more expensive.)

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

PLEASE take the advice of the reviews here. DO NOT stay at this place. My family arrived at 3:30 and our room was not available. When asked when, the one woman running the place had to chase down the cleaning staff. A half hour later and still no answer. We were in town, just travelling through and stopped for the outlets and a baseball game. The pool was ok, no towels though. We finally got to the room to be greeted by an enormous bug on the wall. I killed it only to see anoher about 30 mins later. The ice machine was broken and the room dark and unsafe. We had to drive around the hotel to find another because a call to the desk went unanswered. I went to the desk later to get directions and stood there 10-15 minutes before the woman showed up. Later at night we called for a blanket and pillows. The blankets we had were stained with what looked like....you know what. It probably was. After about 20 mins they answered and got back to us 15 minutes later and said they had 1 pillow and blanket....1 PILLOW AND BLANKET IN A RAMADA INN???? We were up all night with the most inconsiderate people partying all night. This was not the fault of the hotel,.but just judges the type of people who stay there. At 7:30am I went to get a cup of coffee and they were drinking beer already. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

Stayed August 2007
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2007

Had three rooms booked for a two night stay for a short family vacation. Ended up checking out after one night. This was undoubtedly the filthiest, most disgusting place I have ever stayed. The rooms smelled of mold and urine; no working door locks or smoke detectors and the refrigerator had a towel in it to soak up the leaking water. There was one wall plug for the entire room which had a six-socket adaptor with six wires plugged into it. Looked like a fire waiting to start. Bathroom consisted of a toilet that must have been lifted from a high school gymnasium stall. Tub had black footprints and someone else's hair in it. Moldy black grout covered the walls and the soap holder was broken off the wall. I went to the front desk to request a can of cleanser and a sponge to clean my own tub and was asked to "shush" because I was too loud with my request!

Every public area is covered in filthy greasy fingerprints, even the entrance door to the lobby! Wallpaper is peeling off the brown-streaked walls and the room furniture is falling apart. I had to remove the mattress to check for bedbugs before going to sleep. At 10:45pm the local (one-block away) ball stadium set off a fireworks show. I thought it was a gunfight in the courtyard area and almost called the police! I lost my prepaid $285 by checking out one day early and the front desk refused to give me a receipt indicating my overpayment. Their excuse was that I didn't owe anything so "the receipt would just come out blank anyway". I called another hotel within hours after checking in here and moved immediately the next morning. The manager I spoke with at the new place I reserved said he frequently has calls from guests at the Ramada asking to move.

I didn't have the stomach to try to visit the restaurant/bar. There was a motorcycle club parked in front of it most of the time and anyway the room took away my appetite.

If you still want to stay in this place, I suggest you do it quickly before the Board of Health shuts it down.

• Liked — The fact that I survived one night there
  • Disliked — That I lost $285 for checking out a day early
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

I'd have to say this was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. The facility was dirty and not at all maintained. We had a shower that would not drain. The first night we were there I called the front desk to have somebody come and take a look at the drain. Nobody showed up. I called again in the morning and again nobody. We had a wedding we were in town for, thank god a family member was just down the hall, my husband and I were able to take showers in their room. We finally got somebody to check out the drain in the shower on day 2. No apolgies, no compensations, nothing. The owner/manager of this place does not know what customer service means. I would stay away from this place!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

This hotel was possible the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. We were first hit in the face with the most horrible smell in the hallway leading to our room. Our children wanted to go into the pool, that was semi clean, yet no towels on the towel rack. The staff said they would bring some out. Never did. Even after asking again. Then we were locked out of our room, children freezing from the pool without towels, and the master key that the hotel had didn't work. We waited over a half an hour, still without towels before I went inside to see what was happening with our room, where I was informed it was open and they just neglected to let us know. The shower area in the bathroom was moldy and the tub has chunks of porcelin missing. The floor was obviously not cleaned for some time. When we called the Ramada 1-800 number they informed us not to make a complaint until we left the hotel because they have had incidents of people being treated badly and "other" things happening. Staying in our car would have been better. There are plenty of other hotels in the area. Try one of those!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Not one single thing
  • Disliked — The filth
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Leesburg, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

My stay at the Ramada Inn in Reading was a pure horror ruining my weekend. The room was filthy. There were cigarette burns that went through the top comforter down to the sheets. I would not let my dog sleep underneath the pilled and nappy blanket. Housekeeping come and change the bed, but the bed clothes were no better and we simply slept under sheets. There were waterstains all over the ceiling in the room and bathroom. The key lock on the outside door facing the parking lot was ripped from the door. The wall paper banner around the ceiling was ripped. My husband pulled the bedstand away from the wall and found a mouse trap. The phone and remote, etc. were so sticky I had to go to a local store and buy disinfectant wipes.
This place is undoubtedly mis-managed as the clerk at the front desk was completely indifferent to our complaints. He actually laughed which lead us to believe he agreed. Not to mention, we spoke to other guests who concurred that they had changed rooms and agreed that this was a horrible place to stay. In short, I would like to say that my weekend was ruined, as I could not sleep thinking about mice in the room.
Finally, I made it clear at check-in that we had already been charged for the room by the booking agent. We were still charged when we checked out, although my husband didn't catch this. We are awaiting the credit for the double charge. I had to call the booking agent to arrange for this. We should not have had to spend a cent for this terrible experience.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
East Brunswick, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2007

stayed here last year and agian this year. The price, the location not far from downtown ( if thats where you want to go) the people were nice. All in all, pretty good for the price.
The restaurant is not great. sports bar food. the property looks a bit old but it seems like it was renovated recently.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!