“Good food, great atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Santa Barbara, California
“Good food, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Spending one night in Reading, the hotel desk clerk recommended Judy's, and I'm glad she did.
The olive oil was already on the table in a shallow bowl when we were seated, and very tasty warmed foccacia soon followed. The steak platter was definitely above average, though the salmon was somewhat ordinary. Both included a mixed green salad with choice of various vinagrettes.
While wine options and prices are listed, there is no printed list of available beers. Waitress claimed available bottled beers were only the ordinary mass-market beers, so we settled for a pleasant pale ale without understanding what all the options were. Why don't restaurants like this one treat beer drinkers better by providing better info as to what is available? Seems it would be in their interest to do so, given the profitability of selling beer.
Dining room is in what was reportedly once an annex to the food market; high ceiling with wood beams, very atmospheric.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Reading PA
“atmosphere trumps food, service? nada”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

Went to Judy's for a Valentine's day lunch. The hostess was on the phone for about ten minutes while we waited. no one else came to seat us. She gave us quarters for the meter. My boyfriend went to pay the meter and I was seated at a table for two and waited. Eventually the waitress came over.

i asked for a water, and got one in a glass that was streaked with food residue. My boyfriend came back and also got a water. The server gave a little snort at that. I guess we were supposed to order a drink and spend more money, but there were none on the lunch menu listed, no wine list on the table, and nothing was suggested.

We ordered and while we did I watched to open kitchen. The table next to us had ordered while I was waiting to order a water. The chef put a bread basket up and it sat there getting cold for a good ten minutes. When our bread came up, I watched to see if I would get the cold, ten-minute-old bread.

The bread is a flatbread with rosemary and it is served with olive oil. There was black char from the dirty pizza oven all over the bottom of the bread- and my fingers, the dish of dipping oil, and my napkin. It all tasted burnt. I considered sending it back, but we had waited and waited to order.

My boyfriend got a ceasar salad and I was not impressed. It tasted like the bottom of the unmixed dressing- all vinegar. With a little oil it would have been good. He got a monkfish dish that was roasted in the (dirty) pizza oven. I thought the fish tasted fishy or old, but he didn't. We both agreed that it was unseasoned and chewy. He had to ask for a spoon to eat a dish that came with broth.

I got a roast beef sandwich with onions and cheese. The cheese was strong and completely overpowered the rest of the meal. The onions tasted sweet, as if sugar had been added. They were not caramelized enough to be sweet on their own. The horseradish and dijon spread on the sandwich appeared to be there, but I couldn't taste it at all. It was totally overpowered by funky cheese. The roast beef was probably left over from prime rib or something, but it was chewy and topped wtih watercress. The chewy meat and whole stems of watercress meant that with every bite big chunks of food would fall out. Very nice for a romantic lunch. I had heard good things about Judy's but I am not sure I would go there for dinner.

New York City
“Great Food with a Bad Attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

Our son goes to College in Reading and we were visiting him this past weekend. We had stayed in Reading on a previous visit and had dined at Judy's and the food was wonderful but when we went to the hostess on that first occasion she greeted us with "Do you have a reservation". Her nose was so high in the air I could see the hair inside her nostrils. She was able to find us a table, which was kind of her since the place was basically half full.

The food was great and service terrific so we decided the hostess was just a jerk and let it go at that. We wanted to take our son to Judy's and treat him to a good meal. Once again our friend the hostess was there asking if we had a reservation and this time her nose was in the ozone layer. My wife and I were dressed well but our son is a college student so she took one look at him in his jeans and wouldn't have him in her precious restaurant. She told us there were too many reservations; even though the place was empty she said the people would come streaming through the door at any moment. We should go to The Speckled Hen the pub that is connected and also owned by Judy, we would be welcome there. After all riff raff belongs in a pub.

We were a little taken aback but we did as told and had a nice meal at the pub but the more we thought and talked about it the more upset we became, maybe there were a ton of reservations about to come in but the attitude was loud and clear, you are just not good enough to eat here . I work in New York City and dine in all the top places and have never met an attitude like that.

Great food terrible attitude, when we are back in Reading in two weeks you can rest assured Judy will get none of our money at either establishment and we spread the word at the college and hotel. I have never taken the time to write a review in my life so she really touched a nerve.

Los Angeles, California
“Great Atmosphere, great food, great wine... What more could you want?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

Just ate there. Literally sitting in my hotel room with a full belly... So I'm writing just after eating there. It's 4/23/08 at 10:00 PM. :-) We went there on a recommendation of a friend. I have to say it's one of the best meals I've had in a long time. I'm from Los Angeles, and we have great food there - but this is right in line with the high-end dining establishments I know in LA.

First of all, it's in an old warehouse from the 19th Century, converted, obviously to a modern up-scale restaurant. The lighting was amazing. And the decor is very nice. The Hostess was pleasant, and sat us even though we didn't have a reservation. We were greeted promptly by the server. The menu was amazing. The appetizers were great! Have the stuffed figs. They are great. I had the Lemoncello Chicken, which was amazing too.

Please dine here. It's worth it.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This place has character...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

This place has character and good food. The filet is always good - with the whipped gorgonzola butter - fantastic!