“Excellent Motel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Inn & Suites
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   2299 Lancaster Pike, Reading, PA 19607-2380 (Formerly Shillington Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Reading
virginia
“Excellent Motel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

I have stayed at this motel several times in the past few months and find it to be very accommodating. The cleanliness is exceptional and the location is very easy to find. Rooms are large and roomy and the beds are very comfortable. Breakfast is good and there are both hot and cold items available. I would highly recommend this motel to all travelers.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2009

Stayed here one night December 5-6, 2009. Excellent value, neat, appearing new motel, spotless. Fantastic breakfast, service, wakeup call, free newspaper, etc. Diner in front of hotel if you're still hungry. Hess gas station nearby with 24 hour convenience store. This motel was one of the top Days Inn in the United States until 2007, when Route 222 was split into business and residential routes (a new road was built) bypassing all traffic from traveling through Reading). Traffic on this business route was reduced, and the diner sold the motel. Since renovation as a Best Western, it is an amazing 'discovery' for the traveler who finds it. As far as a place to sleep, 'does the job perfectly'. amazing for the price. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

My husband & I stayed over the Thanksgiving holiday for 2 days so we could spend the holiday with family. We checked in early evening & the night clerk was very pleasant. Great updated lobby as was our room. The room was very clean. It had a refrigerator, microwave and coffeepot. A good continental breakfast which included self made waffles and instant oatmeal was included in the rate. All was excellent except that the recliner chair was not comfortable and our non-smoking room had a strong fragrance smell to it . It was very noticable when we walked in and seemed as though someone had sprayed the room with a large of amount of aerosol spray to cover up something. The scent caused us to wake up with very congested. Our heads would clear when we were out during the day. We are sensitive to these sprays. If it was done to freshen the room, I'd like to recommend the hotel stop. If it covered cigarette smoke. I'd hope there has to be a better way. If there had been no fragrance, I'd have given the BW a rating of 5 as this place is otherwise a great value.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

The hotel has been recently rennovated and it definitely shows. The hotel is very new, the rooms have new carpets, new beds and all the fixtures seem new too. I really liked that there were microwaves and small refrigerators in all the rooms. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were kept very clean by the staff. Front desk clerks were helpful and polite when we needed directions. There is a free breakfast bar in the morning and the hotel is located next to a diner for added conveinence. Overall, I was pleasently surprised by the level of comfort and cleanliness in a budget-range hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We haved stayed in many places throughout the yrs from "top" name places paying top dollar to get the best....but I wish there were more Best Westerns like this around....because it is on the top of our list for one the best places we have stayed in. And the money we saved was well worth it...you know the saying you get what you pay for....not true here because we paid a low price and got beyond what we paided for...staff very helpful..fitness center is good...breakfast is simple but good saves money...rooms very clean..bathroom very clean...pool is great...restaurant outside is good...great location next to many stores and a mall and outlets...food places...hotel had great wi-fi..and a business room with computers if you do not have a laptop ... It is worth it..try it out...we searched every where looking for something at a reasonable price but we love to have a clean room also and we look at that at the top of our list because of our small children...and the BW passed the test....we stayed here for 5 nights well worth it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Vienna VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I stayed with my son and his baseball team, and this hotel was more than accommodating for myself as well as the team. The staff was very courteous in helping us get to the field where we were playing. They had preprinted directions to and from the fields and a list of all the great eateries that are in this area.

Also, breakfast went above and beyond. The hotel offered a hot breakfast for free. Also, me and my son could eat as much as we wanted to. We played with the Berkshire Tournament and it we cam home victorious as well as satisified with our stay. I give this hotel a 9/10. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2009
Long Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We were in town for a baseball tournament and booked this hotel for two nights.
PLEASE beware. This hotel is not kid friendly and the staff we encountered
had no idea what customer service meant.

We were a group of kids and parents here for the baseball tournament nearby.
There were other groups too from other states that were also staying on the same
floor. Upon check-in, the desk clerk was clearly bothered by us asking if it
was possible to get two rooms for our family and have them adjoining. His
responses did not answer our questions and he was curt to boot. So we moved on.

This hotel clearly does not want kids or large groups staying here. They just
want to get paid for it. The law in PA is you can't have alcohol in an open
area (as explained to me by another desk clerk with a condescending attitude when I asked if there was a place like a conference room we could congregate)
Should have nipped that in the bud, but again, I moved on. There were different
groups in the hallway on that floor from different states, people were drinking,
but no one from our group or any of the other groups was rowdy or obnoxious. The kids were being kids. The front desk
obviously had a camera in the area and any time there were more than two or three
people in the hallway, they came up to tell us we have to get back in our rooms.
We asked if there was a conference room we could rent and have a pizza party.
Some people were told they'd look into it; I was told there were NO conference
rooms. Hmmm......

They eventually called the cops. I'm not sure why. One of the clerks claimed
he was "assaulted" and had footage of it. He refused to show one of our group
members (who is a cop also) the footage of this allegation. That's because
there was no assault. My husband and I were trying to gather everyone into our
room and the kids were in another room watching a movie and one of the clerks came up AGAIN and would not leave. He asked us to do something about the people down the hall. We told him those people were not with us. My husband tried to reason with this guy and find a solution, but he scurried away at that point saying he was calling the police. Then we got a call (just us) that we are being evicted from the hotel. My husband and I
packed up our stuff and our kids at 10 pm that night and left. That was our
only choice, as explained to us by the sheriffs. I have no idea on what grounds we
had to leave. We had no recourse. For some reason, the clerk had the upper
hand, even though he told several lies. The sheriffs were sympathetic but
apparently could not play judge here.

Even after we left, they kept harrassing the rest of our group, even accusing
one of the other mothers of being me and making such a scene that her young
daughter became hysterical.

I am still baffled by this, as is the rest of my group and we have taken this to
the next level. This hotel should not be accommodating large groups if they
expect lights out at 7 p.m. Another group that we know stayed at the Crowne
Plaza and they had a party around the pool and paid a little extra for a bbq.
How nice that would have been.

I urge you to think twice about staying at this hotel. The customer is the bad
guy, not the one who comes first. That was my first and last stay at a Best
Western, ever........... would rather sleep in the woods with the bears.

• Stayed July 2009

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Reading Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!