“Our favorite B&B... Period” 5 of 5 stars

You added Jackson House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Jackson House Bed and Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   6 East Main Street, Railroad, PA 17355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Railroad B&B and Inns
“Our favorite B&B... Period”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I have gone here for years in all seasons. We love staying in he cottage.

Pam and Bob are fantastic hosts- friendly, upbeat service. They have recommendations for anything you want to do around there - shop, eat, tours, wineries.

The location alongside the track is ideal for walks & hikes.

Breakfast? Awe-some. The clientele they attract normally makes great company in the morning at the breakfast table.

We've done many B&Bs. It's hard to top their place.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I came to stay at Jackson House for a wedding we were photographing in the area. It was perfect! We stayed in the Rail Trail Suite and it was comfortable and nicely decorated. The bathroom is awesome. It was also nice to have a private entrance. The only downside is you can hear every step the people in the Cottage Suite above take (and we happened to have people that stayed up quite late and rose quite early above us unfortunately). We ride bikes so it was awesome to be able to walk right out of our door and take a ride. Pam & Bob were terrific hosts; full of useful information about the area, very kind and hospitable. Food was terrific! We've even discussed coming back for a short getaway just to ride bikes and relax. I would definitely recommend staying here if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mount Airy, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed for one night at the Jackson House Bed & Breakfast in Glen Rock, PA this past Saturday. We booked the Daisy Room which was warm and cozy. The decor was very nice, showerhead was awesome and the queen bed quite comfortable. Tried out the outdoor hot tub, too despite the snow flurries - lots of room and good jets. The innkeeper was very sweet, left us a tray of cookies when we checked in, and cooked up a spectacular breakfast for us and her other guests the next morning. Too cold to walk the rail trail, which was just across the street, but definitely will return again in the spring/summer. The B&B is beautiful throughout w/ just the right touch of history and whimsy. Great location for exploring the trails. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Suites looked very nice, but for two people the Daisy Room was perfect.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

It is very challenging to find a B&B that will allow pets, and this one does. Our room was well-appointed, and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Pam, our hostess, met us the first morning with Eggs Benedict, and the second morning with waffles and an omelette. Great food, and she is a delightful conversationalist.
Immediately adjacent the facility is a rails to trails trail, and we availed ourselves of that.

(Oh, and there were home-made chocolate chip cookies the first night, YUM!)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed in the cottage and loved it! The Inn Keepers were exceptional. We went with a group of friends, filling the house. It was a memorable weekend and can't wait to return. Breakfast was delicious as well.

• Stayed November 2012
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was in Philadelphia on business and with a weekend off, decided to explore central Pennsylvania. I stumbled across Jackson House B&B in an on-line search and thought I’d give it a shot. I contacted the owner via email and although she doesn’t live on-site, she left my room key in a safe spot for a late arrival. Not sure what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised by the area, the town of Railroad and the B&B itself.
The B&B is right next to the old rail line which has been maintained as a walking track of about 11 mile in length. There was even an antique store right next door , for those so inclined. Arriving in the evening I was more inclined towards a cold beer and a feed, so set about examining the options available.
This may be the only aspect of the stay that was below par, but only a little. There is a seafood place just nearby but they don’t serve beer. The next options are what I will call ‘a good walk’ – noting that with the intent of having a few beers I didn’t want to drive. I chose to walk the three mile or so along the old railroad to New Freedom. I underestimated the summer heat and arrived at the bar fairly soaked with sweat, but then that’s what cold beer is all about fixing – so I settled in. Good bar, good feed and nice people. At the end of the night I was faced with quite a walk home and since the rail-side walking track was signposted as being closed after dark, I set off down the road.
Now most people probably don’t know this but back wood American roads are not great for pedestrians. At night they are even less ‘great’. This was plainly evident in a number of ways: The distinct lack of other pedestrians , the non-existent road verge, and the murderous speed at which vehicles whizzed past me. Huddling as close to the side of the road with my iPhone torch held in front of me like a magical shield, I eventually arrived back at Jackson House – sober as a judge! Despite my little adventure I slept the sleep of a just and righteous man – very comfy bed!!
The walk or run along the rail track first thing in the morning is a great way to start the day. The fact that I managed to get bitten by some flying critter while running along probably wasn’t the exact start I needed, but pretty minor really – once the swelling went down. Lots of folk visit this town to ride bikes along the railroad track. Not sure if you can hire bikes locally or not?
The owner turned up pretty early and served me up endless coffee, a great breakfast and a delightful couple of hours of conversation. The breakfast was served in the old dining area with period furniture – it was a top feed in a top location.
Overall a good experience and I’d have no qualms about staying there again.

Room Tip: I was given a room on the third floor and with only one other couple staying that evening, it was pr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

The inn keeper was exceptional, location spectacular for off road biking. Breakfast has been delicious every time we have stayed. Great things to do in near buy towns. Total relaxation in the old country. We will return again.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Jackson House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!