“Borderline Criminal!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Punxsutawney
Boston, MA
“Borderline Criminal!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been going to Punxsy for several years now and The Pantall has never been a good value. The heat is always iffy, there is NEVER any hot water, and the bar/restaurant is hit or miss - mostly miss.

This year it was 100% worse than normal, with normal being pretty bad to begin with... No heat in the rooms, just space heaters. No TV - supposedly changing over to Sat or some nonsense. Seriously, like anyone would believe you didn't schedule that to happen way before the busiest weekend of the entire year? Total BS - the cable was shut off. WiFi didn't work on any floor. They were running the bar out of plastic coolers and didn't have that many things to chose from.

Honestly, the owners will inevitably end up in court over this. There's no way you can run a bait and switch operation like this and stay out of trouble. There were so, so many people at the front desk complaining that I don't feel the need to file any lawsuit - someone else will do it for sure. If someone wants to get a class action together, I'm in!

Wait until it gets sold or foreclosed on before you spend any money here. It needs some deep pockets and 6 months of serious renovation before they can even call it a hotel. It truly is an embarassment to the town of Punxsutawny and the people that live and work there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I decided to have a delightful weekend visiting Punxsutawney Phil for Groundhog's Day. . .and because thee Pantall was closest, I said I must! I have stayed there twice before and never experienced thee horror show that went on this past Groundpigg's Day. First, let me say, my previous two stays allowed me thee awareness that this is definitely not thee Hilton! In fact. . .it is definitely not thee Super 8! In fact, it's not Ma and Pa's Roadside Motel, either! It is an old hotel that is very dated and J like. But. . .you can't beat thee locale right next to Barclay Square where all thee Groundpigg events are and where thee knob buses jet you up to Gobbler's Knob in thee wee hours of thee night to wait for thee groundpigg to jet from his burrow. This time, however, we checked in and noticed a space heater in our room. We said mercy and tried thee antiquated radiator system to see if we could get thee radiators on which usually heat thee room, as another writer pointed out, roughly to thee surface of thee sun. Not a problem this weekend, however, with single digit temps and nothing but a space heater to heat thee room! We learned later that thee boiler said hit the road during thee only time this hotel probably even has business and there was no heat in the hotel except for thee space heaters. Mercy. We learned this well after check in from vendors selling groundpigg souveniers in what used to be thee hotel restaurant. Do not let them fool you into thinking they have one. Because when we inquired about breakfast thee next day, we were told to hit the road and head on out for some eats, unless we wanted a hearty cup of coffee or tea (extra of course!) sold in thee lobby. (and only, I'm sure, during groundpigg day!) Next up that night was some delightful relaxing in thee circa 1970 style room designed by Carol Brady. We flipped on thee ole' tv set and saw. . .thee snowstorm! We called thee desk to learn that thee only channel available at that time was thee snowstorm! No cable! They "claimed" that it was supposed to be fixed that day, but that thee company never came. So it should be fixed thee next day (2/1). It sure wasn't folks. Or thee day after that, for that matter. At one point that day (during thee daylight) I observed that my bedspread had a blood stain on it. . .in addition to being shredded. TG I didn't have an ultra violet light, because I shudder to think what I was sleeping on. Even thee drapes were so dated that Martha Stewart's grandmother probably told them to hit thee road! These, too, had scorch marks on holes in them (probably from thee bygone days of thee hotel actually having heat and it's radiators working!) The creme de la creme was on Groundhogg's day when we arose in thee middle of thee night to bathe and crawl out in single digit temperatures. While waiting for my friend to bathe, I hear a loud hit thee road! from thee bathroom. Then a "this sty!" flew out. When she came out. . .I asked what was wrong. I was told there was not a drop of hot water in thee bathroom. I thought she was foolish and tried it for myself. Well. . .I got thee freezing shower too. Delightful. Here's thee best part. Then. . .the included breakfast that wasn't. If you enjoy disgusting eggs and some hastily prepared bacon (if you can even get your mitts on it since they bring out three sliced at a time), you will love thee breakfast. If you think a buffet breakfast should be good, you will hate this. We tried for two weeks afterward to contact someone in management to C loudly about thee 800 dollars we spent for this delightful lack of accommodations and never received a call. Suddenly, we call to follow up and thee lines are disconnected! We called thee chamber of commerce and they told us thee hotel said hit thee road and closed. . .but might reopen in April. Yeah, right. I'll tell you what happened here. They didn't pay thee bills (ie no cable or heat. . .and no phones) because they KNEW they were going to be closing up shop. Even Punxsutawney Phil gives better service with his lame predictions of an early spring that this hotel delivers!!

Room Tip: Good luck choosing a room since who knows if they'll even be open again!
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

After waiting 11 months for my Groundhog Day reservation, I checked in on Jan 31. All was well for the first hour, as the Pantall is located directly across the street from Barclay Square, where a lot of Groundhog activities were taking place. Then... Our heat went out, our cable was out, and slowly looking around the room I began to notice stains on the carpet, lamp shades, and (horror!) The bed covers! There was even a huge crack in ceiling! When I and several other guests tried to get some answers, the owners walked away! They did put space heaters in our rooms, but come on, it was almost 0 degrees outside! To top it all off, they served a cold buffet breakfast! I put my name on a list to get a call from the owners to discuss a refund (would have been satisfied with any small gesture) but they have yet to call. I loved being in the heart of Punxsy, and the festivities, but came away so disappointed in the Pantall's service. I will NOT stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Went to Punxsutawney for a friend's 50th birthday celebration which happened to fall on Groundhog's Day, a Saturday. This was an all girls weekend which was planned for over a year and a first time trip to Punxy for all of us.

The hotel sign reads "new rooms" and "restaurant." Our room was roughly the size of a closet and decorated from the 1970's. As for a restaurant, there is none but we heard that there used to be. Strike one and two.

Upon checking in, we were informed that the boiler "broke" the night before, but we were assured it would be fixed during our stay. We had NO HEAT and NO HOT WATER for the entire weekend and were paying $325 per night for a room that usually goes for $60! Oh, also no cable for our circa 1970 television. Felt sorry for those who wanted to watch the Super Bowl. Strike three.

Guess you can charge whatever price you want when you're the only hotel in town!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Save a lot of money staying at a chain hotel in a neighboring town because I...
Seaford, ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I had to reserve for 2 nights because it was Groundhog Weekend. For $800 I thought it would be pretty nice. Wrong! Old, dirty, no heat, no electricity, no food. The absolute worst. We left after the 1st night. Never use this hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed over the Groundhog Day weekend...the busiest weekend of the year for this town (or so I would think). First, there was no heat in the hotel...the whole weekend. The first night we slept with extra blankets because there were not enough space heaters for all the rooms.

The huge toilet paper holder was placed right next to the toilet so you had to sit on it sideways or use the bathroom downstairs in the lobby. Really?

There was no cable for the first day. They had just changed cable companies and for some reason it wasn't working.

The internet was out most of the first day.

There was only one full size bed in the room (for 2 people)...and they charged almost $500 for two nights. Unbelievable!

The breakfast buffet they offered on Groundhogs Day was included in our stay but was also opened to the public. Turns out the person they hired to do the breakfast called the night before to tell them he wasn't coming...he was going to the Knob to see the Groundhog instead. So they had to scramble to make enough food for everyone. The chaffing dishes were empty most of the time and when you did finally get something, it was cold.

I do have one very important, positive thought for this hotel: The staff were very accommodating and apologetic. When we needed more blankets, they came right away. The second day I mentioned to a cleaning person that we didn't have a space heater and wondered if there were any available, and she had it to us immediately.

As far as I know, when my friend paid the bill, there was no compensation for our troubles.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has hhistory for sure. It is older yet comfortable and clean. I stayed on the 3rd floor. I was disappointed that they only had 2 towels for 2 guests. Most hotels have more. They do accept aarp and gave a generous discount. I would stay again..

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Pantall Hotel? Share your experiences!