“Touch of the past in the town” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Pantall Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   135 East Mahoning Street, Punxsutawney, PA 15767   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Punxsutawney
“Touch of the past in the town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has hhistory for sure. It is older yet comfortable and clean. I stayed on the 3rd floor. I was disappointed that they only had 2 towels for 2 guests. Most hotels have more. They do accept aarp and gave a generous discount. I would stay again..

• Stayed August 2012

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This place needs some work. Curtains in room very old and barely hanging and torn. Room very small with small bed and dirty old carpeting. Electrical outlets are downright dangerous. Bathroom is very small knees have to be to the side if sitting on the toilet. Door had a 3 inch gap on one side and none on the other. A window air conditioner with duct taped gaps. Poor lighting. Walls and paint pretty bad. Will not stay.

Room Tip: We were informed we had a refurbished room. If that's the case, I would have hated to see the o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I didn't expect a fancy place but was disappointed in the rooms. It was like staying in one of grandma's run down bedrooms with Small rooms andno closet. The window unit A/C didn't cool the room. The door had a crack in the opening so it looked open at all times (light would come through). The maid service stated they had no towels due to they had to take them to the laundry mat to be washed.

• Stayed July 2012
Louisville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I tried the Pantall passing through Punxatawney on a trip east. Their web site was down but posted a number to call. Had I called Pantall direct, the room would have been $55 instead of the $75 that I was charged when I went through Hotels.com.

It's an old downtown hotel, sort of funky, as-is unrestored, one slow elevator. There is a parking lot next to the building, the room was simple and clean, everything worked, and there was WiFi in the room It was a convenient location next to a city park and library, with a Wendy's and MacDonald's within an easy walk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Williston, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

we went there and had a nice night. the bed was confortable and it was fairly quiet. we stayed on the 3rd floor and thru the night we heard what sounded like someone whispering in the hall way but when i peeped out the door there was no one there... ghosts perhaps..it sure is old enough to have them.

Room Tip: the higher up the quieter the room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Schenectady, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My wife and I used to come to Punxy quite often and would stay at the Pantall. Hats off to the new owner, its much cleaner than it used to be and the woman on the front desk in the evenings is great! Very friendly and she went out of her way to help us. Look forward to coming back and seeing the improvements.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Indiana, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I don't even know where to start with this review. I suppose I'll start with the beginning of my 2-night stay.

Upon opening the door to the Pantall Hotel lobby, I was opening the door of a sauna. It was at least 85 degrees in there. I would not be surprised if it was 100. They had a heating issue of some sort (obviously) and assured us it was in the process of being fixed.

I reserved 2 rooms for 2 nights. They messed up the one room and had it only reserved for one night. They gave us the keys and stopped us right before we got on the elevator to tell us they gave us the key to an occupied room. Fixed it, and we were on our way.

There was a cockroach in my bathroom. My first real life cockroach encounter.

The heater made clinky noise all night that kept waking me up, and I am a heavy sleeper.

The room was 90 degrees, and after running the a/c for 24 hours, it was still a good 75 degrees for the second night.

The cold water in the shower randomly turned off 3 times for my 10 minute shower. So there were 3 occurances where I was surpsied with SCALDING hot water and forced to jump out of the tub to avoid getting scalded. After the third time it happened I learnt my lesson, and took a cold shower the second day.

The second night I found another bug in my bathroom. I'm still not sure what it is, but I uploaded a picture of it for your pleasure. It was actually two bugs. When we killed one, another one came out from under it.

Upon checking out, we were charged $75 more than we were originally quoted. I was told since the manager wasn't there they had to charge it. So if you make reservations in advance, the price means nothing. They raised it for us, and we were forced to pay it.

The best part? We were here for a local wedding, and the hotel 'blocked' off a number of rooms which were to get a 10% discount. Some people still got no discount, others had to ask, and given all the above including the money we made this hotel by telling people to stay here for our wedding, we got ripped. This review I gave to the clerk the morning of me checking out meant about as much as our reservation and price quote did...not a damn thing!

I understand the hotel is historic, but there is a fine line between historic and what my experience entailed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pantall Hotel? Share your experiences!