“Luke Warm” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Punxsutawney
London, United Kingdom
“Luke Warm”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

I find it strange that in all the advertising for this hotel, they include the phrase "brand new." There is nothing brand new there. We were at the hotel for a wedding this past weekend. The roof-top room where the reception occurred was nice. Our rooms were not.

It was cold this weekend, but they hadn't "turned the heat on" through the radiators, so we all had to have space heaters in our rooms, only some of which actually worked. The bedspreads in the rooms looked like they came from my Aunt's closet cica 1972. There had clearly been a remodel of the bathrooms. That was clear because the holes in the walls and wallpaper where the old fixtures were still existed and had not been filled in or wall-pappered over. The TV had knobs that you had to turn. Seriously. The blinds didn't cover the entire window.

The restaurant was equally bad. Someone should explain to the wait staff that if you order an appetizer or soup, it should come first, especially when you ask twice to have it first. They should also get a menu with a list of ingredients, since every time I ate at the restaurant, the staff didn't know what was on the salad or what came with the dinners.

The front desk staff was consistently friendly, unlike the bar staff who looked downright hostile most of the time.

I'm not sure what the other choices are in Punxsutawney, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Liked — The roof-top reception room had beautiful views
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Nancy, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

Catherine and Isabelle, Nancy, France

My sister and I have stayed at the Pantall Hotel three nights, July 27, 28 and 29. We chose this hotel because we absolutely wanted to stay in Punxsutawney, and there is no other hotel in town (except B&Bs and motels outside of town).
I've always been a big fan of the movie "The Groundhog Day" and its star Bill Murray. During a previous trip in Pennsylvania, my
sister had found out, thanks to a brochure, that Punxsutawney was in fact a real town, and that this February 2nd celebration with Punxsy Phil was not at all fictional ! Oh I was so excited ! I knew I had to go there someday !!

Well, we've had the opportunity this summer, and I've decided to write this review because we've had such an enjoyable stay at the Pantall hotel.
We booked by phone, from France. In fact, I called them twice, because meantime I had got a new credit card. Each time, the woman on the phone has been so nice and so helpful. I had seen on their website that they had a "Bill Murray room", so I asked for it and got it !! But here, they have been very honest toward me, telling me it's just a regular room (except the fact Bill Murray slept there !), it's not a suite, not bigger than the others. Any way, we booked it !

So we stayed there three nights. We loved it !
Oh, of course the hotel is old, and despite it has been renovated, you still can see it's an old building. The bathroom was rather small and the washbasin was pretty much old-fashioned. But everything worked OK.
The room was not very large, and no view (over looking a back alley). First, we considered to change, because most of their rooms have a nice view, either on the main street , or on the lovely adjacent square. But finally, we got used to it (after all, it was Bill Murray's room, the one I wanted !) and it became our cosy little nest for those three days.
The AC was a little bit noisy, but worked OK.
And we had a nice, new TV with lots of channels.
But no drawer to put our clothes (actually, we had two drawers, but there were full of pillows and blankets!) so we left our clothes in our suitcases.
And no iron / ironing board, and no hairdryer.

So of course if you compare with a chain hotel with all the comfort you can imagine (we usually stay in La Quinta hotels, Hampton Inns, or Courtyard), it can be a little bit disappointing.
But we soon forgot about all those little inconveniences. Because the hotel (which is an historical building) has such a charm.
And the room was lovely, very clean, and the beds very comfortable.
And, most of all, the hotel staff was so nice !!! Everyone was very, very friendly, always there with a smile and ready to help. That's something we immensely appreciated.
We asked the lobby if we could borrow an hairdryer and they immediately found one for us, that we kept for those three days.
The morning after our arrival, we've had a very nice talk with the young man at the lobby, he gave us a map of the town and explained us all about the 32 statues of the Groundhog displayed all over the town and made by local artists. So we've had a lot of fun searching for those statues, which was also an excellent way to discover each and every part of Punxsutawney.

The food at the restaurant was excellent, either for breakfast, lunch or diner. And the prices very reasonable. Here again, we have always been greeted with a big smile and a nice word.
They also have a bar, but when we wanted to go, it was closed because we were sunday.

They also lock the outside door after 9pm and on sunday, so you have to ring their bell. But that was never a problem, in a second they were there to open the door.

They have vending machines in the lobby, but to get ice, you have to ask someone who goes get your ice from the restaurant (even when the restaurant is closed). Here again, whatever the time of the day or late at night, there was always somebody there to give us ice, and always with a warm smile.

Besides, the hotel is perfectly located in downtown Punxsutawney. The adjacent square is very pleasant, with a lot of benches, and Punxsy Phil (the groundhog) lives in the town library just across the square. So we went to see him several times a day, from early before our breakfast to late at night, just before going to bed.
Therefore, the Pantall hotel is really the place you have to stay in, if you're a fan of Punxsy Phil !

For us, it was a dream-come-true to stay in Punxsutawney, to get to see Punxsy Phil as often as we wanted, and to sleep in Bill Murray's room.
And it went even beyond all our expectations, thanks to the warmth we got from the hotel employees and staff every minute of our stay.
That's something which is priceless.
We'll definitively stay there again, if someday we go back to Punxsutawney (what I hope !!!) .

• Liked — great staff, great location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

I would not suggest this hotel to anyone.The ladies that run the front desk always seemed to be in a foul mood.The rooms are run down and the furniture looks like it is from 1974.That goes for the tv too.The breakfast was ok running eggs and weak coffee.There is a Mcdy's about a half block away fron the hotel.I found out only three scenes from the movie Ground Hogs day were filmed here.The movie itself was shoot in some town in Illinois.All you have to do is look around the town for five minutes to notice this is not the same town from the movie.Instead of paying the insane price they charge for a room on groundhogs day.I suggest you stay in the next town over,indiana pa.Even though i think the rates go up there around that time to.But you have a wider selection of choices and the price range is reasonable.There is only one other hotel in punxsutawney and it is on the other side of town.I do not know what it is like.I've never been there.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Over priced.Did you read the review
  • Stayed February 2003, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

We made reservations through the Pantall Hotel to celebrate Groundhog's Day 2007. We ended up staying at a "sister" hotel that was an hour away. The hotel breakfast buffet at the Pantall was awful, the customer service and PR was severely lacking, we were overcharged for the hotel we did stay in and the Pantall Hotel's staff misrepresented themselves, the celebration, and Punxsutawney in general to the extent that we were so disappointed that we checked out a day early. The Pantall Hotel refused a refund and claims to not accept credit cards so that they take your cash and run with it. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, nor would I even recommend wasting your time with joining in the celebration. It's all a joke on the tourist.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — customer service and representation
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pantall Hotel? Share your experiences!