“HAZARDOUS” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Pottsville B&B and Inns
Florida
“HAZARDOUS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

Charged $82.75 for one nights stay even with late night check in time. The attendant not only swipped my credit card information, but also hand wrote all the same information which seemed suspicious and peculiar. Room was discusting. Stank of must, curtains barely afixed and would not close completely, bedspreads had obvious body fluid stains, linens that were originally white were a dingy grey/brown, bare pillow with stains that appeared as blood, open AC with no vent cover that was rusty and black, approximate 3 ft cobweb on ceiling over bed, large area approximately 2 ft by 3 ft of wall next to bed with green and BLACK mold, original white upholostered dining room type chairs that were soiled and stained brown/black, light colored vinyl type fabric on headboards that were soiled black, fabric bench type seat was filthy, towels folded as if clean on wall rack were stained, tub was discolored a dirty brown, bathroom ceiling vent/exhaust was full of dust, wooden molding around bathroom door was detached, exposing nail ends and holes, refrigerator was archiac and stunk, night stand had what looked like mold on it. After spending approximately 40 minutes in the room and finding all these things. I returned to the front desk and politely requested a refund explaining the condition of the room. The attendant was very rude and direspectful and stated that I had been in the room for nearly an hour and refused to refund me. I was offered another room. I declined ,adamently requesting a refund telling the man that his business was criminal in my opinion. I asked the man to come to the room and I would gladly show him my concerns. He refused and told me he knows his rooms are clean and asked me how he was to know I did not make the room dirty. I told him I do not carry black mold in my pocket to apply to motel rooms, seeking refunds. I politely asked the man to reconsider refunding me. He still refused at which time I told him I would at the least report him and his business to the Board of Health and the Better Business Bureau. He told me he had a health certificate. He also said we could stay or leave, but would not refund me. He then said, ' if you leave you better return the key or I will charge you" I wondered what that meant. I returned to the room, took digital pictures, remade the beds, called the local police Dpt for a non emergency civil matter with a request for their response. A nice officer promptly arrived and told us we were not the first to complain of this place. I appoligized for having to pull him away from I'm sure more important matters, but wanted him to witness that the room was not left in disarray by us and to witness my returning the key to the attendant. The officer stayed and when I returned the key, the attendant told me to be reasonable as to understand why requesting a refund was unreasonable in his opinion. I told him my immediate business was done with him. We left, but followed our concerns up. After returning home a phone call was made to the owner who was made aware of the intent to pursue a law suit at which time his demeanor changed to that of a best friend and I was refunded my $82.75. However health concerns had already been reported. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lecanto, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

After driving all day, being very tired we stopped a the Pottsville motor inn. My friend went in to ask about and decided to go ahed and pay the over rated amount of $82.00. When she came back to the car, she told me renting the room was like filling out a job application because of all the information the night clerk wanted. When trying to open our door with the key, you had to put your shoulder into it before it would open. At first glance the room was dark and looked filthy, (we were afraid to touch anything.) We started inspecting the room more closely and was sickened by what we found. The sitting chair (which was the cleanest thing in the room) was very stained. Pulling the bedspread back we saw what looked like body fluids (big stains) on it. The sheets ere a dingy brownish grey. There was mold on the bedside table. The door facing in the bathroom looked as if someone kicked it in (wood was split and nails sticking out). The bathroom vent was covered in dust. The bath tub looked as if no one had cleaned it this year ( yellowish film on the tub. One of the ladies traveling with us took the pillow case off the pillow and showed us what looked to be blood stains (it was red). The air condictioner was missing a vent and when you looked at it all you saw was black nasty stuff. Over one of the beds there was a spider web that was at least 3 ft wide. We decided to make the beds and go ask for a refund, while making the bed when I walked around the bed that was closest to the outside was and seen a spot on the wall that was approx 2ft by 2 1/2ft looked to be black mold of some kind. We walked to the office and asked the night clerk if he was the owner, he stated no. We explained the situation and what we had found in the room and the clerk said no refunds I give you a new room, we told him that we were not going to stay and that we would contact all persons we needed to and explain the room. He still said no refund. At this time a younger man appeared from a side room and stated he was the owner. We tried to explain to the owner what we found in the room and he was short with us saying "my rooms are clean." We asked him to come and see the room and still all we got was "I dont come I know my rooms clean, how do I know you not put it there." My friend replied "I dont carry mold around in my pocket!" By this time we knew we were getting no where with the owner. We also called the Police only to verify that we had not damaged the room in any way. While sitting on the steps outside was for the Police, the owner yelled if we dont return the room key he would charge us. After the Police arrived knowing there was nothing he could do, he check the room and watched us give the room key back. I have takens several pictures of the room, and will pass them on. (Its unbelievable). My friend and I wondered if we were treated so badly because we were women, but after reading your other reviews I guess not. All I can say is please pass this on, unfortunately people who are traveling and just passing through will probably fall victim to this filthy motel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Our car broke down near this place and it was the only place we could find that would take our small dog. When we arrived, the desk clerk (presumably the owner) cowered in fear at the sight of our 14-pound mixed-breed friend, and shouted "outside! outside!" at me. He then told my husband, "In my country [India] all the dogs bite." When we saw the infamous room 103 we couldn't believe it. Ditto to everthing said about this room in a previous review...it was horrible. Holes in the ceiling, cigarette marks on the headboards, a crooked toilet, drippy faucets, peeling paint, broken telephone, not even a Gideon's Bible (that's a first), and STINKY smoke smells. We were totally overcharged (this guy is like a spider in a web waiting for victims) but felt desperate and tired after dealing with car problems.

I would sleep in my car before staying at this place again.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reading
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

So we decided to get a motel for a night. I must say, I could have died. The headboard fell off. The lamps fell over when you went to turn them on. The wiring to the one lamp was sticking out. There was a sticky residue on the comforter. The toilet barely flushed. The water in the tub didnt drain. There were cobwebs all over. The walls were dirty. The remote didnt work and was for a differnet TV. The TV worked, however the people were purple. There is a fridge in the room, and when I opened it, wow it smelled bad. There was no wifi as I have seen advertised. The bed wasnt comfortabout at all. This was a horrible experience. And I would never recommend this to anyone I know. I have pictures and will in the next review, because I have no uploaded them.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

This hotel was rated at 2 stars. Not woth 1/2 star. Old, poorly kept, dark outside after dark. Room smelled old and musty. Mildew in the bathroom, fan that was not working. No cover for fan or light, covered with dust. Hasn't worked in a while. No wifi in the building I was in, advertised as having wifi. The only thing good about this hotel is the Dairy Quenn across the street. I would not ever stay here again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Bathroom filthy, cold, faucets in bathtub leak, ceiling panels missing, coffee pot had someones old coffee still in it, OLD condiments, creamer was solidified (old), NO internet connection, had to call 2 nights in a row to exchange towels, 1st day, no room service at all.
This is a convenient location, but I would reccommend to anybody, this place need a complete refurb. Smoke alarm was hanging by the wires off the wall, Room 103

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

I made reservation using "(570) 622-4917" one day early before arriving. I arrived and filled out paperwork for the room for one night and signed the receipt before going into room. I then went into the room to find a horrible hotel room. The door looked kicked in which is a safety issue. The fridge look so old and was missing the bottom panel exposing wires. The bathroom ceiling tiles are mold infested and missing in some locations. The light socket was missing cover and exposed the bulbs and wiring. The lights flickered and never worked. The room was filthy. I asked for a non smoking and got an ash tray never cleaned and the room stench of 20 yrs of smokers. After 5 minutes of being in the room I returned to the office and nicely asked for a refund. He told me I could just get another room and tried to hand me another key. I told him this place is unsafe for me and my wife. He told me in a quick and smart [-] way of no refunds. I said fine and then called Bank of America and asked for advice and they cancelled my card. Somehow still the charge did go through but its going through there claims department and they assure me that since I did not stay the night and found another hotel "Ramada" then I would not have to pay. That is still pending. I then called the city of Pottsville PA code enforcement and they were closed. I left a message to call me back so they can close this dump down. I have pictures on my cell phone of everything listed above. Called AAA and they are currently under review. I made all these calls in the main office in the employees presents. When I arrived I had paid $5 deposit for the key. After all those phone calls he seem very upset. I laid the key on the counter and asked for my $5 back. He quickly snatched it away and said "no money for you". The funny thing is he only put in on the lower part of the counter. A second after he put it to the lower counter i snatched it back and said I paid for it you thief. At that point he had enough and 1 younger man I think was his brother and some older lady grabbed me by my arm and clawed me for the key and at that time I dropped the key along with my cell phone, cell phone charger, and keys and they were pulling me out the door stepping over my wife and on her foot to pull me out. I dove for my cell phone and keys but didn’t get my charger cord. Since they stood on my wife’s foot, her shoe came off and she was yelling for it back and after threating calling the police, they threw it back at her. I did call the police. They have records that 2 officers came to talk to us. They tried to find my charger but with no success. The police told me they could do nothing about it and apologized for the hotel. I still have scratches on my hand and Genda’s foot still hurts. We did finally booked the Ramada for the night which is a relief to be done with it. I will do everything I can to make aware to others of this place "Pottsville Motor Inn". This is a family own hotel in dirty business. Wait until I get these pictures downloaded off my cell phone. They may not be good quality but you can see how awful room 107 truly is. - 01/08/2009 at 3pm to 4pm

• Liked — That it will never happen again
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PottsvilleMotorInn, Manager at Pottsville Motor Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2009
We apologize for any inconvenience to the guest. We always strive to make the guest’s stay comfortable and safe. Our rooms are clean and comfortable. Our recent improvements include mattress, linen, and paint. Our property meets all local code requirements and is inspected regularly. Our staff attends weekly meetings to reinforce our high level of customer service. The comfort, safety, and satisfaction of our guests are always first. We are always available to answer any questions or help in any way to make our guest’s stay enjoyable.

Been to Pottsville Motor Inn? Share your experiences!