“Ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn & Suites Pottstown

You added Comfort Inn & Suites Pottstown to your Saves list
Comfort Inn & Suites Pottstown
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Robinson Street, Rt. 100 & Shoemaker Road, Pottstown, PA 19464   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Pottstown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ohio
“Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

This Hotel was conveint to where I was working. It has plenty of parking. I was a little concerned at first because the hallway I came in was dirty carpet was very worn so I was skeptical on how the rooms would be.

The rooms were fine bed comfortable and clean. Carpet in all 3 rooms was clean and looked of newer vintage than the halls.

The staff was friendly check in and out was easy. I would stay again
Didn't use pool it was closed so can't comment on that.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Great Neck, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I've stayed at this Comfort Inn Pottstown twice. The location was extremely convenient for an early morning hot air balloon ride I was taking from the Pottstown airport about 5 minutes away.

I'm not going to go as far as the last reviewer and accuse this property of having bugs. In both my stays I didn't see any nor feel any bites.

Having said that, I was profoundly disappointed by the cleanliness of this property. I understand that it's not a 5-star hotel, but still one expects a certain level of quality.

The room at first glance looks clean and smells clean. But when I examined the sheets on the bed, I noticed tiny eyebrows and hairs. I'm no professional, but I've done enough laundry to know that whoever is doing their laundry is putting way too many sheets together at once. Strike one.

As is my custom, I'll look behind the head of the bed to check for bedbugs. I didn't find any, but what I did find was a ton of hair and dust and debris on the covering of the box spring below the mattress. It was obvious that it had not been cleaned in a very, very long time, perhaps months or years. Strike two.

Finally, I looked to the side of one of the beds. I kid you not, I saw an open container of McDonalds Chicken McNugget sauce. Heaven knows how long it had been there. I didn't bother to check it carefully, I just tried the rest of my stay to try to forget what I'd seen. Whatever quality control they're doing with their housekeeping service is obviously not sufficient.

There are other things which just rubbed me the wrong way. The bathroom had a slight unpleasant odor. The carpet in the elevator was dilapidated.

I don't say these things to make trouble nor to hurt the Comfort Inn's business. Indeed, the service was extremely friendly, the breakfast waffles were delicious, the high speed Internet worked fine, and I don't doubt what other reviews that of the four hotels in Pottstown this is the best (which means you should absolutely stay away from the others). And I feel for any hotel where the previous guests are slobs and don't clean up after themselves. But as a hotel that touts itself as "award winning", I expected much better. I hope for the sake of future guests that the hotel management can take this to heart and really improve the cleanliness of their hotel.

Room Tip: Check behind and underneath the bed before you settle into your room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We were fortunate enough and thanks to hotel manager she agreed to cancel our last night and refund it to us, after confirming it with priceline, priceline issued as a refund for the remaining night. The issue was my husband was attacked by some insects we thought they were bed bugs and reported it to hotel staff, they moved us to the 3rd floor and they said that their hotel is pet friendly but they dont allow them on 3rd and 4th floor, next day my husband continued having issues and then pest control game came in once we caught a bug, he checked his bed and he said that there were no indications of bed bug presence and the bug we caught was smth else, next morning we caught a flea so we had to cancel remaining night and run away from that place. Please stay away.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I've been to all 4 hotels in Pottstown. This is the best by far. Very clean, modern, nicely equipped with a fridge, microwayve, flat screen tv. The elevator was a bit slow, that was my ONLY complaint. Linens were fresh, bed comfy, bathroom spotless, whole room very clean and in excellent condition.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
comfortdos, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites Pottstown, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words about our hotel! We know you have many lodging choices in the area and we appreciate being your hotel of choice. We look forward to your next visit!!!

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My wife and I were on the last leg of a three week touring holiday of the north east states of America visiting Civil War battlefields. We're pretty old hands at touring the USA, having toured the States since 1981 and in that time we've visited 44 states; even so, selecting hotels/motels is something of a lottery. For those new to touring the States, it's useful to know that you can obtain free state maps at visitors centres as you cross state lines. Additionally, you need to look out for coupon books, which offer you substantial discounts on hotels/motels.

So, to the Comfort Inn & Suites. This was advertised in a coupon book as an award winning hotel, with an outdoor pool and hot breakfast. We duly arrived and it looked a pleasant enough place, hence the title "Looks Can Be Deceptive". To be fair, the room was well equipped and spacious and we were initially pleased with our choice. Now come the "buts" and "howevers"!

First, the outdoor pool was closed. For some bizarre reason, America starts to shut down after Labour Day at the beginning of September; this includes outdoor swimming pools, or at least this one! Despite the outside temperature being in the high 80s, it was still shut. So, we asked if we could sit around the pool to read: "No!"

Secondly, there was no hot breakfast, unless you consider toasting a bagel or a piece of bread as such. In addition, the young girl supervising the breakfasts was so anti-social and uncommunicative, you simply wanted to eat up and get out. She went around scowling and banging cupboard doors; there's really no need.

Thirdly, on our second night - we booked for three - there was only luke warm water. I rang down to reception and the cheeky woman on the desk told me that the water WAS hot. Nothing infuriates me more than to be told something that you know is an untruth. I pointed this out to her and she replied that the water wasn't meant to be hot. So why was it hot the night before and at breakfast" I enquired. No reply. She huffed and bluffed and eventually agreed to get maintenance onto it. The next night wasn't much better; so much for maintenance.

These may seem like niggles, but I am still old-fashioned enough to believe in common courtesy, even an apology when something goes awry, and advertisements for accommodation to be accurate.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hello,

I wanted to apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay and also thank you for the kind words you had for our property. It is typical for seasonal outdoor pools to shut down the week after Labor Day due to the drop in demand because of school being back in session, etc. I'm sorry this inconvenienced you and that you were told you couldn't sit out at the pool area. That was an error that has been addressed.
We do offer several hot items with our continental breakfast, including make-your-own waffles, oatmeal, etc. and will be offering more selections in the near future.
I also want to apologize for the hot water issues, especially the way you were treated when reporting the problem (which has been rectified).
We have taken steps to address your concerns with the staff as it appears that the guest service that we take pride in providing for all of our guests was not up to standard during your stay.
Again, I sincerely apologize and invite you to contact me directly should you wish to discuss further.

610-326-5000
wnorwood@pottstownci.com
Pottstown, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I would guess by the date of this writing, I have stayed here for over 50 nights this year alone. Don't ask... Needless to say, in this area, the Comfort Inn of Pottstown is by far the best place to stay.

Each room is well appointed with newer furniture and flat screen TV's as well as refrigerators and microwaves. Internet access is available wirelessly and I have never had an issue connecting with fairly fast speeds.

The staff is VERY friendly, especially the room attendants. I've never had an issue being taken care of.

The pool is clean, as is the free continental breakfast area, which by the way is pretty well stocked.

They do allow pets in a limited number of rooms, so be sure to ask where they are and avoid if you do not wish to be disturbed by a barking dog at 6:00am (happened only twice, but thought you should know).

The guests that frequent this hotel are varied, but friendly and mostly respectful (except that one screaming kid the other day...)

Clearly the owners and management are doing a very good job of running this hotel.

I have hundreds of nights in hotels all over the country. Priceline rates this hotel as a 2 1/2 star out of 5. I would put it closer to 3 - 3 1/2 stars. I've been able to book rates from $42-$68 per night through Priceline. With King of Prussia only 20 minutes away and Philly about 45 minutes, this is a very good location and the prices can't be beat for the room quality.

if you're in the area and need a place to stay, don't hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: Book though PriceLine
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you very much for sharing your positive words about our hotel. We truly appreciate our repeat guests and love hearing that we are doing a good job. We look forward to your next visit!

Glens Falls, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

I had to have a place in Pottstown and there is not much there that I would trust. This property is old and not clean. This is the 2nd time I have stayed here in a few months and will try not to use it again. It needs renovation and cleaning. I travel alone and do not appreciate it when the front desk clerk does not realize that women business travelers do not want to be placed in rooms where they do not feel safe. First floor rooms, or rooms near outside doors or rooms near a large number of urban customers who are watching them come and go. There was a gap in my door so big I could see out into the hallway up to the doorknob. Would not touch the breakfast with the kids running around touching everything. If they would just clean the place I could get over the old. Outside of the building is kind of cool and the location is great.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
comfortdos, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites Pottstown, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
I was disappointed to know that you did not enjoy your recent stay. We strive to provide the best service and comforts for our guests and we did complete a 1.5 million dollar renovation just two years ago. I’m sorry this did not meet your expectations.
Our front desk staff does try to honor all our guest’s preferences when assigning rooms at check-in. We do have many business women (and men) who stay with us on a regular basis; several of them actually prefer a ground floor room. Had you let the front desk know you preferred to be on an upper level, they would have made every effort to comply.
I’m not sure whom the “large group of urban customers” you are referring to, but we value all of our guests. We did have a very large group of alumni from a prestigious local academy in at that time and I can understand that the breakfast area could get a little hectic at times. I’m sorry you felt you couldn’t partake of the complimentary breakfast during your stay.
I hope you give us another chance next time you’re in the area. I welcome you to contact me directly to discuss what we can do to better accommodate your needs.

610-326-5000
wnorwood@pottstownci.com

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Pottstown? Share your experiences!