“Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West

You added DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West to your Saves list
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   640 Fountain Road, Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
Atlanta, Georgia
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I love lodging at this hotel every time I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area. This visit, my stay was business related and as always the DoubleTree did not disappoint. I love checking into the hotel and receiving warm chocolate chip cookies. The cookies are a nice welcome after a fairly business commute through the airport in route to PA. I booked a king room, which was clean. Each day of my stay the house keeping staff ensured I had clean towels and bottles of water. The water was very much welcomed due to the heat wave the Philadelphia area was experiencing. A hot continental breakfast was included with my stay. The food was basic, yet good. I did have a drink at the hotel bar, which was $10. I find that very pricey, but the bartender was pleasant and the bar area was clean. The location of this hotel is across the street from the Plymouth Meeting Mall and only 9 miles from the enormous King of Prussia Mall. My commute from the Philadelphia Airport to the Doubletree was only 30 minutes and the commute to downtown Philadelphia approximately 20 minutes. I enjoyed my stay and will certainly lodge at the Doubltree when in the Philadelphia area again.

Room Tip: This hotel has 6 floors. The elevators are very slow, so you'd probably save yourself the incon...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel was clean and extremely spacious.
It seemed difficult to find waaay back down a alley/access road way.
Otherwise- Very Very costly for me (No comp on the breakfast, and was average at best) (Tons of Tax)
AC when started was real noisy (Like a old frig)

otherwise waaayyyy more than what I needed for a nights stay.

Pool was ok ,the hot tub seemed clean but Jets were not as expected almost if the pump was failing.

Room Tip: stay on the pool floor if you will swim so you don't drip around elevators/carpetting. Get two k...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thousand Oaks, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

A few family members and I stayed at this hotel on July 20/21 for a family event. While the rooms were nice and the beds comfortable, the service issues and general noisiness of the hotel had such a negative impact on my stay that I can only give it two stars.

My mother and I were flying in from the West Coast and not arriving until midnight. I called a day in advance to inform them of the late check-in, and request that the sofa would be made up into a bed. I was in a king suite with only one bed and a pull-out sofa-bed. My mother is elderly and disabled, and we didn't want to be dealing with making up the bed in the middle of the night. I was assured it would be.

Upon arrival, the bed was not made. I called down to the front desk, but the clerk just said she didn't have anyone to send up at that time, so I did it myself. A half-hour later (1:30 in the morning - AFTER we'd gone to bed!) an angry-looking, smirking bellhop knocked on the door to hand us a blanket and pillow, which we didn't even need since extras were in the closet.

Prior to retiring, we placed the room-service breakfast card on the outside door handle. It states on there that if you get it out there before 2:00 am, your breakfast will be delivered at your requested time. We put it on there at 1:00 am. When 9:00 am passed and no breakfast had arrived I looked outside, and there was the card hanging on the door - nobody had bothered to pick it up, not even the bellhop who'd attempted to deliver unneeded blankets at 1:30 am!

So we called down to order breakfast. It took almost an hour to arrive, and when it did it was cold and horrible. The toast wasn't even toasted - it was cold, soggy bread with barely the tiniest bit of toasting on one side.

I have never been at a hotel with a noisier clientele. I don't know what this place is like during the work week, but I would warn anyone who wants to be able to actually sleep at night to avoid this hotel like the plague on the weekend. It's an open architecture, such that the rooms open up to hallways that are balconies circling the open center of the hotel, overlooking the bar/lobby. The first night we didn't even arrive until after midnight, and the place was CRAWLING with people, all talking loudly and hanging out in the lobby and bar. My mother is disabled and walks very slowly with a cane - when we got to the elevator to go to our rooms, a crowd of people rushed up behind us and filled it up before we could get in there...and then off the elevator went. We waited for the next one, and it was about to happen AGAIN before I loudly demanded that everyone wait until my mother and I entered it! We got a lot of dirty looks. Great client base, Doubletree.

The next night (Saturday) we returned from our family event at about 11pm, and the noise was even worse! The bar and lobby was packed, with people literally screaming at the top of their lungs. We were on the 7th floor, and the noise was so loud there was no way anyone could sleep. There were teenagers having parties in various rooms on our floor, standing in the hallways and screaming over the balconies at their friends across the opening, and no adults doing anything about it. At 12:30 am I called down to the front desk to ask if anyone was going to do anything about the wild partying going on, and the uncaring answer was, "Well we don't have a guard". The screaming went on until the wee hours.

The next morning I spoke to the front desk about our dissatisfaction. I asked the woman if this hotel is always this noisy, and she actually said "Oh yes, it's always like this on the weekends!" So don't think that this was a one-time thing...they clearly allow outrageous behavior in their hotel every weekend.

I complained about all of the issues that we encountered, and the woman took down my phone number and email address and assured me that a manager would contact me. Nothing...not a call, not an email.

On a positive note, the room was perfectly fine. The beds (including the sofa bed) were very comfortable, and I loved the pillows. The fact that the rooms are nice is the only reason I'm giving this hotel two stars, rather than one.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel on the weekends if you want to get any sleep at all.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Plymouth Meeting hotels

Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I recently stayed at the Double Tree in Plymouth Meeting on my wedding night were we had a block of rooms reserved for our guests. We only stayed there becasue we got a complimentary room through our wedding venue. We didn't expect anything over the top and although the hotel itself was nice, that's where my compliments end.

First of all, the woman I had originally contaced to block of the rooms, Mary, took forever to get back to me.We also used the shuttle service through the hotel. Mary called me one day to make shuttle arrangements and our conversation ended by her telling me to call her back when I had made my final decision on the shuttle times. I emailed and called this woman for a MONTH and got no answers!! I finally called the front desk and they said, "She doesn't work here anymore." No apology or anything. Seriously?? Was no one going to follow up with me then? I was put in touch with someone who could help me and expressed my annoyance of the situation. Once again, no apology!

Secondly, the invoice I received from the Double Tree had the wrong address on it. I put that address on my guest info cards and many of them got lost!

Thirdly, my now husband really wanted a place for our guests to hang out and get a few drinks with us after the wedding. He called the Double Tree to see if the bar would accomodate us when we arrived. They ensured us they would have the bar or resturaunt open for drinks to be served until 1:00 am. Upon our arrival just before 12:00 am the bar was closed. We approached the front desk with our concerns and they said, "Sorry, we don't do that anymore." Once again, no apology at all! They could have cared less that they upset us on our wedding night!!! My husband had them put a manager on the phone, who just gave him a run around. A guest of ours even complained on the phone too demanding a discount, which they agreed to but never actually gave anyone! A few weeks later my mother-in-law called to address the issue. The person she spoke with said they wanted to talk to my husband to investigate further and hoepfully appease us. THAT NEVER HAPPENED!!!

We could not have been any more upset with this hotel on what was supposed to be the happiest day of our lives!!

If you are looking to reserve a block of rooms for your wedding in this area, DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

After looking at many hotels in the Philadelphia area, we have booked a block of rooms for 110 guests for four nights in the Fall. I am in constant contact with the hotel re: our guests and their reservations. I couldn't be happier with the hotel's service. Before booking the hotel we sampled a nice menu and viewed the rooms and amenities. Everything was unparalleled.

Room Tip: We have not stayed there yet. All rooms are suites. Higher floors may be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ThomasOlsen, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations in service. Our team members will be excited to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let people know about your experience. I hope you get the opportunity to join us again on a return visit to our area.
Havertown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for my fiance's sisters wedding. The night before the wedding, a few of the bridesmaids stayed in the bridal suite with the bride. After hanging out at the hotel lounge, we got back to the room pretty late. When the bride went to go to bed, she noticed dog poop on the floor in the middle of the bedroom.

The staff's response was totally unacceptable. When I called the front desk to ask them to send someone up, they basically accused me of planting the poop in the room. The said "this is not a dog friendly hotel. How are you just noticing this now?" Then they claimed that housekeeping could not come clean it up until 8 am. I asked if they could just come up with a plastic glove and get rid of it and they refused.

After going to down to the desk to complain, they provided us with another room to sleep in that night and told us someone would be in the room by 8 to clean it up.

At 10 the next morning, no one had been by to clean it up yet. The reaction time of the staff was totally ridiculous. For someone to have to deal with this on their wedding day was unacceptable. Finally at 11 am someone came and cleaned it up and offered a free room night.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
doranb, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am familiar with the challenges that faced this particular group and do not take them lightly. It is very important to me and my staff that we learn from each situation that we are faced with. I do appreciate your feedback and hope that you are aware that the representative on behalf of the Bride has accepted our apologies and our gesture to rectify the situation. Please accept my sincere apologies for a less than relaxing experience. I hope that you will visit us again in the future and allow us the opportunity to server you better.
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed at this location on a weekend in June. Hotel was pretty booked as there were four weddings, a family reunion, and a conference scheduled that weekend. With such large groups, I expected the hotel to be very noisy. My family and I had a peaceful stay in this very comfortable suite. Our room was fully cleaned each day and everyone we met was very friendly!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback, and hope that you will continue to stay at our hotel when you are in the area. Safe Travels!

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West? Share your experiences!