“Avoid Like The Plague” 1 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West

You added DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West to your Saves list
DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   640 Fountain Road, Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast
East Bridgewater
“Avoid Like The Plague”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

In all my travels, this "Hotel" achieves the award for being the worst. While the Hotel may present nicely from the "outside" the "inside" leaves a lot to be desired. The room I stayed in - 505 - was as filthy as it was outdated. The carpet was dirty, and there was a red stain (paint, blood, wine?) by the sofa which looked as if it was recently acquired from a garage sale. There were also parts of the carpet which were "sticky" (and I'm not even hazarding a guess as to what that was!) The room had a moldy smell to it, and whenever the AC unit switched between on/off, it made a loud clanking noise. The sheets on the bed which, I presume, were once white must now be so old because they have a "greyish" hue to them. The comforter - or duvet - had embedded sweat stains at the top - leading me to wonder if it was ever cleaned. The room, overall, just looked dirty and in no way was conducive to getting a good night's rest or dispensing with thoughts about why I suddenly felt itchy after getting in bed. I just wanted to get out, and actually left a day early to do so.

Rooms had wireless internet, but connection was constantly dropping. The ample parking was a a plus - perhaps I should have slept in my car.

To be fair, the hotel staff was pleasant and accomodating, but that might just be because they were taking pity on the guests. I don't know...

Should I ever need to stay in this area again, rest assured, I'll be staying at the Marriott Courtyard around the corner.

Room Tip: Try the Marriott Courtyard in the same office par.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
doranb, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Let me start by thanking you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would like to think that we have made substantial progress towards improving the experience our guests have and in most instances that is the case (as evidenced by a steady improvement in our guest satisfaction scores). Having said that, there is no doubt that we did not live up to your expectations and for that I am truely sorry. I have just returned from inspecting suite 505 with my staff and agree with you that we could have done better up there and have spoken to the suite attendant who serviced your suite. While I did not find the suite to be filthy, there were a number of deficiences that we addressed. I do want to clarify a few of the items you raise. The red stain on the carpet you observed is an issue we are addressing with the carpet manufacturer. This is not the only suite in which we are seeing a chemical reaction occuring that the carpet manufacturer is looking into. It is red and resembles red wine in appearance however I assure you that it is not It is not a spill. In the past 4 months we have replaced nearly the entire inventory of bed and bath linen in the hotel. All that we have is Hilton standard. I compared new linen out of the box to the sheets in 505, as well as other suites and I did not see a difference in hue. Although I could not locate the sweat stains you referred to on the comforter, the comforter in 505 will be replaced when the new "runners" arrive in July. Unfortunately, these have been on order since February. At the same time these arrive new bed skirts will also be installed in that suite. I am having our high speed wireless carrier look into the "dropping" situation. I've not heard of this, but realize that such a situation certainly can impact productivity on the road.
I do not want you to misconstrue my comments above. I again thank you for taking the time to let us know how your stay went and assure you that we have a number of improvements already underway and will continue to get better. I again offer my heartfelt apologies and hope that if your travels return you to the Philadelphia area you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Our corporate travel claims they were forced to book this hotel based on price and availability as all of Philly was booked to capacity.

Let's start with my phone call to the hotel to add my HHonors number since group reservations can only have that added by the hotel. The first guy blew me off on the phone and transferred me to reservations after specifically requesting to speak to the front desk. The second call I made a room request (which was not honored) and he told me I could only add that info at the front desk in person when I arrive the next day to check in.

So already service expectations were extremely low.

The hotel is not easy to find at night. Thanks to a poor location and bad signage.

At checkin the front desk clerk was on the phone. He waved me over, asked my name, asked if I wanted a credit card on file for charges, and hastily handed me keys and a nasty cookie.

So my room request turned out to be the exact opposite of what I phone for the day before--thanks for nothing front desk.

The room is clearly an old Embassy Suites that fell from grace and became disenfranchised. They didn't do much for a remodel at all. My rom was generally ok, but the faucet was in disrepair, and the shower had poor water pressure with the low flow head they had attached.

One of the three elevators had an out of order sign attached to the door, but only on the 6th floor.

This hotel lucked out with our business and overpriced rates we paid for little return. Thankfully the front desk staff's action/inaction has guaranteed that we will not be returning.

• Stayed May 2011
doranb, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
Needless to say, I am shocked and embarrassed by the situations you encountered both before and during your stay and offer my sincere apologies. There is no excuse for the lack of service you received from our Front Desk staff and assure you that they have all had the opportunity to share your comments. it is a topic of conversation and a situation that will not be repeated. I agree with you that our street address is confusing and am happy to tell you that the post office has agreed to let us change it - which will resolve the GPS issues our guests are encountering. While this hotel does resemble an Embassy Suites, it opened as a Guest Suites and converted to a DoubleTree Guest Suites when the DoubleTree brand purchased the Guest Suites brand. We did have an elevator out of service as we cleaning the cab interior that day and it appears that we must have missed taking the sign down from your floor when it was returned to service later that day I do not want you to think that my explainations above are minimizing your concerns, quite the opposite. I take your comments seriously, have and will address them and, again, offer my heartfelt apologies. it is my sincere hope that if your travels return you to the Philadelphia area you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves.

Travelers are raving about these Plymouth Meeting hotels

ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

From the checkin to the check out it was wonderful!! Getting cookies was a real treat. Especially after driving for 4 hours!! As my husband said "It was a nice TOUCH"
The rooms suited our needs and everyone was HAPPY!!!!
Thank you!!!
Donna

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind comments and congratulations on the graduation!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I was here for a week for business travel. First of all the positives are a good location across from lots of restaurants, a nice new workout facility, and the rooms are spacious and fairly nice. However while reading in bed before going to sleep on my second night I noticed bed bugs crawling on my pillow. I immediately talked to the front desk and was able to switch to another room that I believe was clear of bed bugs, however, it smelled like cigarettes.

While the staff was very nice and understanding, and comped one night of my stay, it was definitely a disturbing experience. I had a delayed reaction to the bed bugs and got numerous bites that showed up a week after my stay. While I understand the difficulty of the bed bug epidemic, I would never stay here again. I was freaked out for two weeks that I had brought the bed bugs back with me to my apartment. Advice to any traveler, look up the signs of bed bugs on the internet and always check you bed when getting to a hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Please accept my most humble apologies for the inconvenience you suffered due to the bed bugs you encountered in your suite. While this is a situation that is unfortunately becoming increasing prevelant in hotels regardless of class, we have been lucky enough to have only rarely seen them. I want you to know that once they were discovered in your suite and once your were moved to another suite we immediately called in our pest control company who inspected the suite. The suite was treated and remained out of service for 3 weeks which is our policy so that eggs which may have been laid were also destroyed. The mattress and box spring in your suite was also disposed of and all upholstery and drapes were cleaned and laundered. Suites on either side of your suite were also checked (there were no additional sightings). Only when the pest control company released this suite and new bedding was received did we return this suite to service. I also want you to be aware that our staff, as they are making beds, does an inspection on a daily basis for evidence of bed bugs. While we have not found such evidence, I would like to think that our proactive efforts will prevent unfortunate situations such as yours, I am distressed that your situation did, in fact, and again offer my heartfelt apologies for the inconveniences we caused you. It is my hope that if your travels return you to the Philadelphia area, you will give us the chance to redeem ourselves.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2011

We drove down all night and they let us check in right away in the morning which was really nice! The staff at the front desk were very nice and the lady in the restaurant was amazing! The rooms were a good size just not as clean as I would have liked them. The mini fridge and microwave came in handy. The hotel was a little dated and it took a while for the elevators. I think we took the stairs a few times to leave the hotel cause we didn't want to wait. The breakfast was really good, alot of verity and even a cook making your own personal omelets....They would also let you take your breakfast to your room if you wanted....which was a bonus, one of us would go down and pick up breakfast for all and bring it back to the room so we could finish getting ready. It got a little noisy at night some times. The lounge/bar area is in the middle of the hotel and open to above so you could hear everyone sitting there watching a game. One thing I must say about this hotel is that their beds were extremely comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
I certainly appreciate your very kind comments with regard to the service you received, your breakfast , and the beds. I am, however distressed to hear your suite was not up to your expectations and it was a bit noisy. I want you to know that I take these comments seriously and have shared them with my housekeping team with regard to your suite. Your's was not the first we have received with regard to noise and I want you to know that we have taken steps to reduce the late night noise level by closing the bar earlier and more closely monitoring those guests who remain in the atrium later into the evening to insure that "inside voices" are maintained. While I am happy that you, for the most part, had a pleasurable stay I look forward to your return so that we can redeem ourselves with regard inconveniences you found.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

We had arrived late the evening before so consequently we got up late the following morning. When we arrived down at the restaurant the next morning for breakfast, it was closed! The staff however insisted we come in and eat! What a wonderful staff. Everyone went over and above what I expected throughout our stay.
It's also worth saying the room service attendants did a wonderful job, they even called us after delivering food one evening to see if everything was to our satisfaction...that never happens!
My kids and I loved everything about our stay and hope to return someday! Thanks Doubletree for a wonderful time while visiting Philadelphia!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thankk you for your very kind comments! We hope to see you back at the DoubleTree Suites when your travels return you to Philadelphia.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

This property has seen its better days. Upon entering my room the distinct smell of carpet (dirty) confirmed my suspicion that maintenance had been deferred. The bathroom had obvious indicators of the same. The exercise room had signs of wear and a smell that would turn any interested person away.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Philadelphia West? Share your experiences!