“Yesterday's Charm, Today's Conveniences and Service” 5 of 5 stars

Omni William Penn Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Harrisburg, PA
“Yesterday's Charm, Today's Conveniences and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have stayed at the William Penn about a dozen times over the course of the last decade and my recent stay prompted me to finally write a review.

This is a GREAT hotel. Omni is one of the best at renovating old hotels into new and interesting places to stay and the William Penn is no exception. When you enter the lobby you can imagine what it must have been like many years ago in its heyday. It truly is a beautiful place. Yet, of course, the hotel offers all of the modern conveniences, including a Starbucks in the lobby (say what you will, but I love being near a Starbucks when I travel). The rooms are extremely spacious, always clean and very comfortable. The staff is always friendly and accommodating.

I have only ever been at the hotel for business and from that perspective, it is in a great location for business travelers. However, there are many good restaurants just a few blocks away - make sure you wander over to Market Square to eat.

Downtown Pittsburgh still has its challenges, but the Omni William Penn is not one of them. It already is the perfect place to stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
WmPenn, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for the glowing review...and thank you for your loyalty! We look forward to welcoming you back and hoping your next stay will be "for fun"!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

When you pay a lot for a hotel, you expect a lot - and sometimes the hotel fails to deliver. But not the Omni in Pittsburgh. I was here three nights on business and found the rooms a pleasant mix of old school charm and modern convenience. (The motion detector night light really tickled me.) The staff is very helpful and pleasant. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights for a conference. 14th floor room was enormous, clean, comfortable. Join the hotels honored guest program and get free wifi, newspaper and a beverage and mini muffin delivered outside your door in the morning. The lobby is spectacular. All the employees i interacted with were pleasant and smiling. Hope to make it back someday!

• Stayed June 2013
Naples FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Our stay at this Pittsburgh landmark was exceptional. We were there for two nights for a wedding. The room was immaculate, the bed very comfortable, the bathroom spotless and the night lights that came on when my feet touched the floor at night were great. The staff and management of this hotel has thought of everything.

Wifi worked with no problem, front desk and restaurant staff very accommodating as well as parking and bell staff. There were several proms at the hotel this same weekend and things ran so smoothly it was pure pleasure to be in this "fine" hotel.

A great place to stay in a great city!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Most historic hotels have a dated feel to them, lacking modern touches. Not true with this place. They have retained the historic character of the hotel. Yet it is fully modernized, a difficult task to achieve. I was in a big twin bed room that was quite large. It had its own walk in closet. Night light between the two beds was motion activated, first time I have seen one of those in a hotel, especially in a place like this. Service from the staff was great. I was there for a conference and the facilities were great. Had dinner one night at the local bar in the hotel that is called the tap room. Try the fish sandwich! Breakfast buffet in the morning is also quite good. There is also a Starbucks store in the hotel that was one of the busiest and most efficient stores I have ever witnessed. People waiting to get in at 5:30 am one day when it opened. I really enjoyed my stay there. This is one hotel I will remember.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a nice location. The rooms are just outdated. The rooms are very large but filled with empty space. The TV will be on one side of the room and your beds on the other. Very strange. That being said, it's a nice hotel. Good bar and restaurant and a prime location. There are always taxis outside for easy commuting. Long walk to any of the stadiums. I recommend taking a taxi. Also would need a taxi to get to Southside. I recommend this hotel if staying in Pitt.

• Stayed October 2012
Hempstead, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed in the Omni William Penn for four days while attending a conference. It was not the highest rated on Trip Advisor, but it was the location of the conference child care, so I picked it solely for that reason. And boy, am I happy that we stayed in this glorious historic hotel!

It was a bit tough for us to enter with our luggage -- we had to walk past the front revolving doors and around the corner to access the hotel via a ramp that we could drag our bags up. Once inside, we were very impressed. The lobby is very grand, with pressed itn ceiling, chandeliers and arches. There are photos of the lobby from the 30's on the wall near the Palm Court restaurant that are worth a look.

Our room was spacious and well appointed. Because of the shape and configuration of the hotel, many of the rooms face other rooms. Ours did, but I did not mind because it was after dark when we returned to our room each evening. Of course, we had to be sure that the curtains were closed firmly before undressing for bed! The bathroom was the the big negative for us: depressingly dim. There were two sconces with two miserably dim bulbs in them that could not have given off more than about a candle's worth of light.

The exercise room was a joy to work out in -- not only was it well appointed and the equipment top notch, but the room itself was gorgeous -- wood panelled with a fire place. The room is accessed from a door off the lobby and through a narrow staircase making me think it was orginally a private apartment. I asked the consierge about the history of the room, and he did not know -- but, he offered to take us up to the ballrooms on the 17th floor and give us a tour. We accepted happily! The ballrooms were magnificent! There is a large ballroom (where, I think, Bob Hope proposed to his wife) that had a beautiful second floor gold balcony and we were able to walk around. He also explained to us that the upper floors, no linger used for accommodation, used to be a girls dormitory and is the source of some paranormal rumors. He also told us that the William Penn was the first hotel in Pittsburgh to offer ensuite bathrooms. What history!

As for the meals.... We had two meals in the Palm Court. The first night we were served well over an hour after we ordered and my child fell asleep at the table. I had to have it packed up to take to the room. We gave it another try one other evening, which much better results. The appetizers were delicious and the meal served promptly. I would eat here again.

We really enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately, we had no time during the conference to tour the city, but we plan to return and when we do, we will stay at the Omni William Penn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Omni William Penn Hotel? Share your experiences!