“Great Spot” 5 of 5 stars

Omni William Penn Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Regina
“Great Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Awsome place to stay downtown Pittsburgh. Nice clean rooms, Friendly Staff. Great Food at the restaurant down stairs. Good pub. Good gym equipment. Walking distance to the consol energy center. Very classy atmosphere in the lobby. Starbucks in the lobby.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Omni William Penn. We are glad you had a great stay!

1,700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Original Pittsburgh natives, my family and I gathered at the William Penn for a long reunion weekend and were delighted with the experience at every turn. Old school in decor, yet modern in amenities, the hotel delivers both charm and pampering. Never intrusive, yet always available, the friendly staff easily said yes to our every request including the particularily generous gesture of allowing my eighty-year old mother to check in at the early hour of ten. The dining options are plentiful because you can sit down for full service in the hotel's classic dining room, or pick up a casual meal at the onsite Starbuck and Bruegger's. Also fun was a late night visit a new bar called the Speakeasy, which reproduces modern day interpretations of prohibition-era cocktails. The only downside to our visit was the slamming hotel room doors, which ensure that travelers all awake at the appointed hour -- sleeping in past 7 or 8 is a challenge. The location is just great - tucked away on a less busy stretch than other luxury hotels, we were close enough to walk to almost every part of downtown.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
It was a pleasure for us to read all of your complimentary words regarding your family's reunion at the Omni William Penn. We are especially excited to hear your positive remarks about the newly opened Speakeasy. Thank you for taking the time to share on TripAdvisor and we hope that we will have a future opportunity to serve you!
Kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

In town for Steelers Game. Thought we would have to walk or get a taxi... but now the trolly runs from the Steel building (right next door) right to Heinz Field... and it's free! Awesome staff, great breakfast, and love the spacious room. Really wish there was a pool, but other than that, still the best place to stay in Pittsburgh. We tried North Shore for it's convenience. It was sterile, and the people working at the Hyatt hated their jobs. Thanks William Penn! We will be back! Oh and don't forget to eat a Primanti Brother's, it is right around the corner!

Room Tip: upgrade for a bigger room. worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are grateful for your glowing review of the Omni William Penn. Thank you for sharing on TripAdvisor!
Colts Neck, NJ USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Great hotel. Got a great deal on hotwire. Stayed one night on MLK weekend (daughter had audition at Carnegie Mellon). Really nice place. Great service. Hotel told us about weekend $5 parking directly across street (covered/secure) instead of trying to make us pay their $29 overnight rate. Hotel has really large, grand lobby and there's a nice restaurant, bar, and Starbucks and a Bruegger's Bagel shop connected to lobby. Ordered take out omelet for my daughter from restaurant and she loved it. Very close to Station Square waterfront area (across Smithfield Street Bridge). We were on 11th floor and the room was like new (must have recently redone). Large flat screen, nice bath and nice bathroom supplies and great shower. Rooms also have free fridge and coffee maker and coffee/tea (concealed in dresser/buffet under tv). Front desk really helpful---left my phone charger in NJ and manager took my phone and charged with hers while we went out to dinner. Station Square/Waterfront area only 5-7 min walk away. Lots of eating options, including informal (Hard Rock). Also rode (with recommendation from door man) the incline (Monongahela Incline) which is right there. Cool attraction brings you up to observe city from great viewing point. Point Park University is 2 blocks away. Was very quiet on Sat night because downtown is business area. Only 3.2 mile (4 min drive) to Carnegie Mellon. If my daughter gets into CMU, this will be our hotel when we visit. Great place!

Room Tip: 11th floor was nice--though our room didn't have a great view (faced a beautiful old building, p...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for allowing us to read about your experience at the Omni William Penn while visiting CMU. We are glad you had a great experience and we wish your daughter the best of luck with admissions. It would be our pleasure to serve as your home away from home while visiting her.
Takoma Park, Md
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My mom and I stayed two nights in the Omni William Penn for a quiet get-away weekend recently. Every single staff person we met at the hotel, from the porter to the food and beverage manager, was extremely cordial and pleasant. The hotel itself is beautiful and the location is great. But the super pleasant and helpful staff made it a stay to remember. We are already planning a return trip. thanks!

Room Tip: My mom did ask to have our room changed because the first room looked out onto a brick wall and was...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We are pleased to read that you and your Mom enjoyed your time at the Omni William Penn. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor!
Zanesville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Family members gathered in Pittsburgh for a December weekend in the city. We could not have been happier with the accommodations, the old charm, beautiful holiday decor, and the friendly staff, The location was perfect for going to the theater, ice skating at PPG Place and simply walking around the city, Breakfast was fabulous, too! We will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are happy to read that your family had a memorable gathering at the Omni William Penn. We appreciate your review and look forward to your next visit!
Stratford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was there for 4 nights on business, checked in on Monday Morning and checked out n Friday afternoon.

First of all the bad: I did not like my bed. I can't tell you what was not so great, just that I didn't sleep well. To be fair, it may have been me more than the bed since I was traveling on business which has a level of stress, but if the bed had been a hood one, I'd have known it.

The good: I requested early check-in the day before. Although they made me no promises, they were ready for me. I arrived in need of a quick shower before I went to the office and they took my bag, got me checked in and dropped my bag up immediately. They also immediately knocked on my door with my preferred pillow.

Room was spacious and nice. Could have entertained in there if I wanted to, it was that big.

Plenty of decent amenities in the room as far as toiletries go-mouthwash, cotton balls, qtips, lotion were all of ok quality, but that's the sort of thing I like to know about in advance of checking in somewhere. The clock radio was a piece of junk but I always travel with my own alarm on my iPad so no big deal for me. There was an ironing board, a fridge (no water in it though, nor anything else for that matter).

Staff was plentiful and they were clearly very service-oriented.

Room service- I got a small breakfast dropped off at my room each morning--just coffee and a bread. I learned via elimination each day the best choice--Get the croissant--the bagel and the English muffin were meh. Coffee was nice and strong though, and they got me extra brown sugar when I asked for it. I think my coffee was free because I signed up for the omni rewards program before I checked in.

I received newspapers each morning--USA Today and The Pittsburgh Tribune. I think the latter was because I asked for the local paper in my Omni preferences. USA Today was happily consumed by my colleagues. It's not my cuppa.

So that was the room experience. As for the hotel itself? In-credible. Beautiful and filled with loads of history. The displays celebrating the hotels history was showcased throughout. Unfortunately most of the staff didn't seem to know too much. Would suggest management bust out the historical anecdotes and send staff through a training. They are proud of their hotel, but think they'd be even prouder if they knew more about it's history. I asked a few people about where specific events took place--no dice.

Other stuff:

The Terrace room was a great place to have dinner at the bar. They were glad to offer me vegetarian options and the prices were decent. i was able to eat there 2 nights. the bartenders were friendly but not too friendly. I like my quiet time. They were happy to chit-chat with the guests who wanted a little more interaction. It was a nice balance. Same goes for the staff of theTap Room, which was more casual and boisterous than the Terrace but a a similar tone with the waitstaff.

Then the best was when they opened the Speakeasy bar in the lower ballroom level. Currently open only Th-Sat, the bar team was serving speakeasy era cocktails that were absolutely amazing. Ok, I just had one, but it was incredible. A gin sour, I think it was. There weren't many people there but I probably went during the dinner hour. I hope The Speakeasy succeeds because it was the best bar of the three. The menu was filed with many tempting drinks with loads if local speakeasy history offered on each age. A lot of work went into that menu and the creation of the cocktails. It was the absolutely highlight. I was waiting for Thursday and it did not disappoint.

Checking out was easy- the bill was there under my door first thing in the AM, and even though they had a lot of activity on Friday I had no trouble finding someone to check my bag for me to pick up later. It was even more hectic when I came back early afternoon to fetch it and had help with my bag to the taxi station. They were on it.

Overall-well done Omni William Penn. I hope they get better beds.

Room Tip: The rooms seemed pretty soundproof so next time I may ask for closer to the elevator. I kept getting...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
What a pleasure for us to read the details of your review and see your pictures. We are especially excited to read your glowing feedback about the newly opened Speakeasy. Thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your experience at our hotel and we hope you will return soon.

Been to Omni William Penn Hotel? Share your experiences!