“Classy old lady of Pittsburgh” 4 of 5 stars

Omni William Penn Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
Burlington, Canada
“Classy old lady of Pittsburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were looking for a downtown location to celebrate New Years Eve and spent two nights. Room was very clean and well appointed. Service was good, not great but we had little interaction with staff other than our check-in. Was disappointed that we were charged extra for WI-Fi given the cost of the room and the status of the hotel. Felt like we were being nickel and dimed for an extra $20 ($10 per day). Parking is convenient (right across the street) and reasonable.

Room Tip: Get a room higher in the building to get better vistas from your windows.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for choosing to spend New Year's Eve at the Omni William Penn. If you return, we would like to invite you to join our complimentary Select Guest program which is open to all guests. One of the many perks of the program is complimentary wireless internet access in our guest rooms. We do appreciate your review and hope you will stay with us again soon.

1,700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was in town for the Steeler's game and NYE celebrations. The hotel is enormously beautiful and I let valet park my car for my entire stay. Upon arrival, I was immediately drawn to busy lobby full of rowdy Steeler's fans. Unbeknownst to me the Steeler's stay here the night before every home game. Check in took a little longer than I was accustomed as an Omni Select Guest. It was disappointing to see there was only one reservationist to greet arriving guest so there was a line in the lobby.

However, once I was greeted by Marguerite the rest of my visit went without a hitch. Darryl (a hotel and local historian) and George the bellmen were helpful in recommending every from the local jazz clubs downtown, restaurants, shops and assistance with bringing items to the room.

My lodging consisted of a small king that I reserved under the black Friday promotion. It was nice and comfortable for one. Jennifer and the housekeeping staff on this floor were very friendly and attentive. Kept my room meticulously spotless and fully stocked during my stay.

The room overlooked the snow covered Steel Plaza Station and made for easy access on the Red/Blue line to Allegheny and Heinz Field.

I love turn-down service at the Omni. Before the game I had my red boots polished to perfection by the hotel staff and coat delivered from my car by the valet. None of my requests were denied.

The gym was spacious and everything was is good working condition. The Tap Room is great for late night drinks and munches. Service at the Palm Court is a bit spotty and as the server there looks a little shady and undesirable hostess. The nice thing is the hotel is walking distance to everything including great shopping. The Terrace room is a wonderful place to dine on any evening and the staffs attention makes for an even better experience. John was my favorite waiter, he was well versed in the wine and champaign selections. He suggestions were always on point, in the end I did not have to even look at the menu he suggested meals and appetizer which were absolutely to my liking.

Overall this was a great experience and I will be back. Pittsburgh is a wonderful city and the people are awesome!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to point out some of our associates that helped make your stay more memorable. It will be our pleasure to recognize them for a job well done. We are thrilled that you not only enjoyed our hotel but also our city and we hope you will return soon.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

What a great place to stay. This place is like living in a palace. Just walk into the lobby and see what i mean. The rooms are very big and comfy. All of the staff were very nice, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your complimentary review of the Omni William Penn. We are glad you had a great stay!
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just checked out of the Omni WPH. Our room was large and everything worked. There were a few points that could have used some fine tuning for us during our stay. Our room was really noisy. It turned out that what jokingly sounded like someone drilling into our ceiling from the room above really was...lol. Good to know I'm not losing my mind. Due to some construction in the building we were in a louder than average area that perhaps shouldn't have been booked to begin with. The management was quick to apologize and reduced our bill the last night. Also, the room service was not quite on it's game. We ordered a pot of coffee. The coffee was so old that the creamer wouldn't change the color of the coffee and the server that holds the sugars was filled with coffee was well. To me this is more of a younger staff perhaps not really paying attention to detail. We tried the waffle with whip cream, but it just came as a waffle. Little things like that. Usually just means someone's not watching the finished product leave the kitchen. Over all the location is great and the front desk, valet and floor staff are very nice.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view and no construction
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is of great value to us and allows us to understand how we can improve upon your stay. We were dismayed to read about your in room dining experience and will make sure that our room service team double checks the details of each order before presenting it to our guests. We appreciate your understanding regarding the construction but would like to once again apologize for the disruption. Thank you again for allowing us to read about your stay and we truly hope that we will have a future opportunity to provide you with the exceptional experience that the guests of our hotel have come to expect.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were visiting family in the area and needed to book a room at the last minute. We were accomadated and upgraded due to our points. This is a very nice hotel however our upgraded room was very small. With two children I was ready to leave by the next morning. The kids enjoyed a "voyager backpack" that provided age appropriate activities. We enjoyed our late dinner and breakfast. Room service was prompt and was able to appease a very picky 3 year old. While this was not the great "Westin William Penn" I grew up with I am satisfied with the hotel and would not mind staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your review of our hotel and regret that your room was not as large as you would have hoped for. If you return, please do not hesitate to let us know that you would like one of our larger floor plans and we will do our best to meet that request. We are glad that your family otherwise enjoyed your time with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I selected this hotel using an on-line bidding site and was I lucky. The century old hotel was beautiful and in perfect repair. The public areas are everything that you hope for in a restored hotel. The room was very comfortable, though a little small. Everything in the room was beautiful. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of the room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DSergi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Every time I'm here I'm wondering is this the last time. They simply don't make place like this any more. Stepping into the lobby Harkins back to era of luxury and indulgence. That were Called "refined" in their day. Here the experience lives in every detail. A blend of old world charm and modern connivence. The rooms are grand and comfortable, the waiters Croatians with dark stories and friendly smiles.

Well the heat didn't work so We were cold, but it was grand.

• Stayed December 2012
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
It was a pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed your experiences at the Omni William Penn. We also hope that your most recent visit won't be your last as it would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back again soon.

Been to Omni William Penn Hotel? Share your experiences!