“Beautiful xmas tree!!” 5 of 5 stars

Omni William Penn Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
20% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #1 of 54 hotels in Pittsburgh
West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful xmas tree!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We love to stay at this hotel during the holiday season. It is always beautifully decorated with a gorgeous tree, lights and a life size gingerbread house. The bar is small but nice and the hotel is in a great location. We always enjoy our stay here!

Room Tip: get a room on a top floor to enjoy a gorgeous view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni William Penn Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your kind words regarding our decorations and our hotel. We are thrilled that you choose us for your holiday getaway each year and we look forward to your next visit.

1,700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Oakland, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I went to a Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre event the last Friday of Nov. 2012. Even though the event was located in another part of the city, we chose to stay at the William Penn in downtown since I had stayed there several times while it was a Westin. Now Omni owns it and, thankfully, nothing has changed! The service is as exceelent as ever and the Old World charm of the place has not diminshed one iota. Everyone was friendly, considerate and knowledgable. The hotel is located on a small cross street, which makes getting in and out a bit dicey, but is also right in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh. Cabs for evening travel (if you don't know your way around) are readily available outside the hotel, though you may have to call for a cab for return.

The room we had was small but impeccably clean and decorated in muted neutrals... possibly a bit modern for such a grand dame of a hotel, but it worked well enough. If you look, a few of the old Victorian details are still around, like special moldings and details. Nice. Our windows faced one of other towers of the hotel (there are three), so we had no view to speak of and carefully drew our blinds so as not to see or be seen by other guests which made the room darker than it needed to be. The room was a bit close to the elevators for my taste, as the loud ring of the elevator's arrival bell was clearly audible inside our room.

The real glory of the William Penn, however, is its lovingly restored and cared for lobby and restaurant (The Terrace Room). Sumptuous Oriental carpets and deep chairs and couches fill an incredibly large space in a room that is easily 3 stories high. Intricate decorative details and woodwork have been carefully restored and much of the lighting and other accents are original to the hotel (early 1900s?). At the time we visited, all their holiday decorations were on display, complete with a hand made gingerbread replica of the hotel, iced and lit from within! A soaring tree dominated the lobby and festive touches were everywhere - fun!

The Terrace Room also shines as one of the best restaurants in Pittsburgh and certainly in the downtown area. The service is superb and the "terrace" outside the main dining room is a great place for any kind of meal - even a real afternoon tea! A wonderful "people watching" perch as you can survey almost the whole of the vast lobby from this position. We ate two meals there; One a dinner after our evening with the Ballet and a breakfast buffet the next morning which is one of the most extensive (and delicious) I have ever seen. The late night dinner presented no problem for the staff who were polite, helpful and friendly throughout.

Downtown Pittsburgh on the weekend is a shadow of its weekday self, but there is good eating not too far from the hotel and Macy's flagship store in Pittsburgh is only 1/2 block away. I sorely missed the Saks that used to just down the street, but the area still has many compensations, including an ample Starbuck's in one outside corner of the hotel lobby.The holiday spirit was evident all around, despite relatively empty streets over a weekend.

The final observation about our (short) stay at thw William Penn is to say that it's rare indeed that my husband comments about hotels, but he was at some pains to make sure I understood that he liked the William Penn and its atmosphere and food quite a bit and would look forward to a return visit there. With all the other great qualities the hotel offers... that clinches it!

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the elevators and WITH a view - especially if you are spending more than...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We truly enjoyed reading your review of the Omni William Penn and are delighted that we even won over your husband! Thank you for sharing your experience in such detail on TripAdvisor and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you soon.
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My 7 year old son and I came one day early to the Burgh to see our Steelers play the Chargers .We went on hotwire to get a downtown hotel and for $167 got the William Penn We always stay @ the Wyndem.I said lets give the a chance. Well first thing was pulling up front the bellmen I'm sorry i did not get his name told us $27 for valet or park for free across the street becauce of Holidays.He held our bags till we parked then led us to check in.They gave my son a soft backpack with nice little games & crafts (camp omni) plus hot coco and candy canes Then our room it was 1478 five stars very nice soothing music playing on the tv as we entered our room.At bedtime a gentlemen showed up at our door with cookies and milk for my son WOW my son was like for me?Then there was a bellmen in the lobby named Darrel what can I say Darrel was so nice, helpful and willing to do anything for us. We learned after dinner by bumping into Brett Keisel #99 that the Steelers where staying in the hotel that night My son saw players all night long .We waited in the lobby to see the players and did alot of them then David Frost the Manager came over gave my son a sharpie for autographs. Later he went out to a off limits area and check to see if any players where left He let us know that they were all in there rooms and save us from sitting in the lobby waiting players that were not there. I want to Thanks Darrel and David for everything.We paid a hotwire price and got service worth $500 a night . We will be back next year to stay at our New Hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We are thrilled that you and your son had a memorable experience at the Omni William and we look forward to sharing your compliments with David and Darrell. Thank you for allowing us to read about your stay and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back!
Danville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I go to Pittsburgh a few times a year and have stayed at other hotels in the city but this one is by far the best. It's always impeccably clean. During my last stay my room wasn't to far from the elevators and I couldn't hear any noise in my room and never a long wait for a elevator. There is a Starbuck's in the lobby and a Bruegger's bagel shop in the back of the hotel. They have a above average fitness center with cardio equipment, dumbbells & weight machines. Not a far walk to many of the city's attractions and the subway is accoss the street. One tip I would give is to park youself in the garage next to the hotel, I paid $8 for the weekend. Would give six stars if I could.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
We would gladly accept your sixth star if we could! Thank you for recommending the Omni William Penn on TripAdvisor and we look forward to your next stay.
Pittsburgh pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Went to the Omni for light-up night again, & of course was not disappointed. The hotel was decorated to the hilt, & the service was superb as usual. Our only problem was that they were booked the next night so we had to pack up and move onto the Wyndam. A nice hotel but pretty bland. Parking was more expensive & the bar & restaurant just wasn't impressive. For my money, the Omni is the Mona Lisa! P.S. The Reuben sandwich at the Omni is outstanding !!!

• Stayed November 2012
We are glad you were able to take part in the light-up night festivities while staying at the Omni William Penn. Thank you for sharing your complimentary review and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I finally have a favorite hotel chain. Too bad Omni's are not as prevalent as other chains. This hotel did everything right. On older building, very conveniently located in downtown Pittsburgh. Lobby is awesome, grand, beautiful. Check in was effortless - he handed me the room key and I was on my was (I signed up for Omni's guest select program, perhaps I was "pre-checked in"). Room was perfect. Large, everything perfect and just sligtly over the rop. One drawback was you can't adjust the temperature yourself becuase its an older hotel, however the temperature at which they kept the room was fine. In-room fridge. No microwave. Large flat screen TV. Shower head and pressure were excellent. Even took a bath for the first time in a hotel because I was comfortable enough that the room was clean enough. Large workspace although without an electical socket at the workspace. Wireless good and free.

Parking underneath the park across the street is city-run, $13.75 I thought was reasonable, esp. given the convenient location (city parking in other areas of downtown is even cheaper).

Fitness center was above average, with dumbells and some weight machines (not just cardio).

Many in-hotel restaurants but I didn't dine in any. Starbucks in the lobby, so I got quick breakfast there. Free morning beverage delivery at set time was an over-the-top extra as select quest member, and served as an extra "alarm" in case you miss your alarm clock (they knock at the door when they deliver the beverage).

This is the first review I've written that really deserves the five-star rating. And the rate I paid was very reasonable - cheap for the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Please accept our gratitude for your generous review and we are honored to be a part of your new favorite hotel chain. It was a pleasure for us to provide you with a great experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

The service is great! They ate so friendly and the hotel is so beautiful and comfy! Can't say enough about the excellent service --- they were nice about late check out and getting something from my room when I left it:)

• Stayed December 2012
We appreciate your complimentary review of the Omni William Penn. We hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Been to Omni William Penn Hotel? Share your experiences!