“Comfortable, Clean, and a Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown

You added Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Commonwealth Place, Gateway Ctr, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 25%
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Pittsburgh
Grand Forks, ND
“Comfortable, Clean, and a Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Wyndam Grand in downtown Pittsburgh was a last-minute choice for a business trip when the hotel I thought I had booked, the one with the conference, bungled the reservation. You always worry when you have to fly half way across the country to a hotel you didn't intend to stay at, and only researched for a few minutes before committing. Thankfully, this worked out exceedingly well, and would be my first choice if I were to return to Pittsburgh.

The price for the room was a deciding factor in my case, and thankfully this hotel came through with a rate 30% under some of the hotels in the area. Again, I was a little worried, but it worked out great. For my $139 I got a comfortably appointed room with a single King size bed, a nice flat screen television, a suitable desk (I had a lot of work to do, so the fact that the desk was comfortable and not for show was awesome), and a wonderful view of the downtown district. The windows are floor to ceiling, and I found myself turning off the lights and just looking out the window while on the phone--really wonderful.

I found the staff polite and helpful with directions, the building quiet, and everything very clean. I love all of those things in a hotel.

Room Tip: Great views facing into the downtown area on the East side of the building. Great restaurants wit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
JHWYN, Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your accommodation and that our staff was helpful. We appreciate your feedback and hope your travel plans will bring you back to our fine city and that we have another opportunity to serve you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
West Sunbury PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

The Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown was very nice. Everyone was great, very helpful. Great location.....would be super in the summer to stay there and walk the area. Actual Bar area, stools, were not quite as large as I would have thought considering there are 700+ rooms. Dining Room is great, very large with lots of windows which is terrific. Would be great to add 'some color' in dining room, plants, flowers, festive, carribean. The neutral colors are always a guarantee but adding some more character is 'fun'. Will be staying there again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Dear Carol, Thank you for choosing the Wyndham brand. We are delighted to hear you will be returning!
Winchester, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

First, I must admit, we found a great deal on Travelzoo for one night at $99. Had I paid full price, $268, I would have screamed. This used to be a Hilton and is being refurbished as a Wyndham. That said, rooms nice and beds comfy. We had a room which faced the fountain which was fabulous though the fountain is currently nonoperational undergoing its own facelift. The shower ceiling and the floor of the shower seams had mold. On plaster above the shower, obvious black mold.

The concierge phoned a restaurant and said we would be right over, did not need reservations. We don't know which restaurant he ultimately phoned as the one we wanted and walked to was closed--chairs on tables, lights out closed. Had a lovely Italian dinner instead of NO cuisine.

Please take care of details before opening. Fabulous location.

Room Tip: Ask to face a river
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
JHWYN, Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Elizabeth, We appreciate that you chose to stay with us with your Travelzoo deal. Your comment about your bathroom shower is very concerning to us, and we wish to remedy this immediately. Please feel free to contact our executive offices directly to let us know your room number, and reference: TA0312c. We will also double check with our concierge and make improvements to better communicate with our guests with regard to restaurant recommendations. Thank you very much.
Clarksburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The staff was very short with people. seemed as if they were looking down on us. we felt very out of place n NEVER felt welcome. For the amount of money we spent, there were very few aminities. Our room was extremly small and dirty! I will not recomment or go back to this hotel EVER!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Dear April, Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are very sorry to hear you felt a sense of unwelcome from our staff. This is not our intent, for without our customers such as yourself, we would not be in business. We value your feedback and can assure you we will address your concern with our team. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Portage
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

When we walked into the lobby we were not greeted by any staff member. The woman who I checked in with was not friendly, did not greet me or tell me to enjoy my stay. I booked a room with a river view -- I had a view of the roof!! If I pressed my face to the glass and looked to the right I saw a tiny bit of the river. My window was also splashed with what looked like tar, all over it. I did not have a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the knob inside my room, my daughter and I were staying from Fri-Sun and I did not want housekeeping service. I called the front desk Friday night and requested no housekeeping service and they said, "No problem, we will make a note and inform housekeeping". Well, we went to breakfast early Saturday morning, came back to the room and housekeeping had been there. They also put a $100 hold on my bank account in addition to the cost of the room. In addition, they charged my card the cost of the room on Friday night and again on Sunday when I checked out. Monday when I checked my bank account I was double charged for the room and this wasn't corrected until Wednesday. Although the room was clean it was terribly small and smelled of stale cigarette smoke.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

JHWYN, Manager at Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Melissa, We appreciate that you chose the Wyndham brand during your stay for the dance conference. We are very sorry for any shortcomings in our service that affected your stay. We can assure you that we are addressing each of your concerns directly with our leadership team so we can make the needed improvements. It is our hope that your travels will bring you back to Pittsburgh, and that we have another opportunity to serve you. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Been to Wyndham Grand Pittsburgh Downtown? Share your experiences!